Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soccerbritt

Caesarstone alternative

Brittany
9 years ago

I fell in love with the London Gray Caesarstone, until I got the price ($2000 installed for my 92" countertop). Can anyone recommend something similar that is more cost-effective? I would say it's similar to carrara marble, but with more taupe undertone instead of white. My fabricator isn't offering any design advice. Any alternatives would be appreciated!
http://www.caesarstoneus.com/products/color/5000/

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

soccerbritt:

In what price range are you comfortable?

• User
    9 years ago

You're in a Group A or B granite category, not a quartz. Even the cheap quartz slabs cost over 1K each, and then you have to pay for the fabrication. You're using half of a slab, but still having to buy the whole slab. Talk to some local large fabricators to find out if any sell by the actual square footage used rather than having to purchase a whole slab. Even then though, you'll be above $1500 for most quartz that is sold just by the square foot. And that's assuming a free edge and no sink or other holes.

Finding a remnant that size is likely to be pretty difficult, but it's the only way I can see you getting what you want at the budget you've expressed. If the budget cannot change, then you need to be prepared to be looking at low cost granites rather than quartz. Or, if you have your heart set on that stone, your budget needs to change.

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

Pental Quartz has a similar look to London Grey - I think it was called Carrara. There is also a lighter version called Lattice. Not sure if it meets your budget, but it should be a little less than Caesarstone.

• Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I will check prices on the Pental. I did come across a granite called Bianco Montanha that looks nice but I haven't seen it in person. It would be $1000 total, so that might be an option if I can't find a suitable remnant.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Look at some solid surface (Corian, Hi Macs) options in Price A or B to keep it around $1,000. When your most important criteria is price you end up needing to be flexible with color with any premium countertop like SS, granite, or quartz.

If budget is #1, I would first look at what the affordable colors are available and then see if you can work one of them into your design instead of picking color and then realizing its unaffordable. My thoughts!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

ChrisInSD:

Depending on the color, I may be able to get an acrylic (Corian) 1/2"x30"x144" sheet delivered to my shop for $350.00. That leaves $650.00 to administrate, template, fabricate, finish, deliver, install and collect. I've got to get shop space, tooling, gasoline, insurance, vehicle wear, social security self-employment match, social security, income tax, opportunity costs, risk, profit, and licensing out of that too.

Oh, and wages. I have to pay myself. May be a little tight on this one.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Well then I suggest OP goes with Big Box for ~$30ish-SF installed instead of you, given her budget. Assuming she has standard depth sized counters this will be around 16SF of installed material. Minimum orders are around $850 at these places and they throw in free sink (it's a lousy sink, but it's still free if your on a budget).

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

ChrisInSD:

I agree.

Lowe's will install a light fixture, including assembly, for $80.00. They take 20% of that or so, so I'm amazed they get people to sub a house call for $64.00. I don't know how these guys do it.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Do you think they get better pricing on the material than the little guys as they can drive so much volume? i.e. DuPont sells big box "certified" sub that same Corian slab for for $250 instead of $350? I don't know, just curious...

This post was edited by ChrisInSD on Wed, May 21, 14 at 0:09

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

ChrisInSD:

There is no question that the big boxes get discounts unavailable to local fabricators. Large enough to make competing on price impossible.

I worked for a fabricator who had to keep track of the serial numbers of sheets used for a particular national home builder, because the builder had negotiated a large discount. I've fabricated and installed McDonald's restaurants in Corian and gotten the discount myself.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I paid about $1k for 96" of caesarstone remnant fabricated, for self install, but no sink cutout. Canada, medium cost area. Even when the sq ft price is discounted for a remnant, you still have to pay fabrication. And I paid my contractor to pick up and install it, so at least a few hours for two guys (not sure exactly how many since he was working full days on my project regardless). Still, if you do happen across a remnant I think it would be interesting to get it priced out! My fabricator happened to have several pretty big remnants, so I was lucky enough to have my choice.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Wed, May 21, 14 at 7:42

• User
    9 years ago

Do an in stock laminate slab from a box store until you can afford the stone you want. Finding a half slab remnant of that color isn't a realistic goal. It's too hot of a color, and even the small remnants command their premium. A half slab? Nope. Gonna have to be a lot more flexible on color for remnant shopping and be prepared for something less than ideal. Even so, the labor charge alone is almost your budget.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Treb--interesting, thx.

Holly--good point. IKEA has a nice gray laminate with stainless steel edge, in stock and incredibly cheap.

• Fori
    9 years ago

...real carrera might actually be cheaper--it's one of the cheaper stones around here.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The IKEA countertop is $99.00 :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA

• Brittany
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your posts. I was able to get Bianco Montanha granite fabricated and installed (in 1-2 weeks it will be) for $1012. This includes them mounting the undermount rectangular sinks I purchased separately for $60/each as well as drilling faucet holes. I'm very happy with my decision!