Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magsnj_gw

Is Restoration Hardware kidding me?

magsnj
9 years ago

I have a gift certificate that I have to use for Restoration Hardware so I continuously have to look there b/c I can find NOTHING. Then I think, maybe linens, but I can't bring myself to spend that much, even if it is a gift certificate. Full disclosure, I like things being made in the US... and I avoid products made in China as best as I can... but even if that weren't true, does this headline under their tabletop--> dinnerware link seem like they're ridiculous and reaching to anyone else?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to dinnerware

Comments (86)

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

There was a similar thread a while back. Maybe RH read that and decided to be more up front about its sourcing ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Prior RH thread

This post was edited by Oaktown on Sun, May 11, 14 at 23:46

• dretutz
    9 years ago

>Calumin: As a discerning shopper who thinks of social justice issues when I spend money, I never shop at Walmart, MacDonalds or Tyson chicken. In fact, there are no processed foods in my home or freezer and when I don't grow myself, I try to eat foods that are locally grown. So, do not tar us with such a broad brush. Yes, I am suspicious of "Made in China" and investigate before prurchasing. I also try to live close to the bone.

• marvelousmarvin
    9 years ago

[QUOTE]From drywall to dog food to pyrex, the lack of quality and inclusion of dangerous ingredients is a serious concern...There is little government oversight of Chinese manufacturing and it has been proven that many of these manufacturers use undisclosed dangerous chemicals, that are banned in the USA and many other countries, to save a fraction of a penny.[QUOTE]

The problem with this argument and logic is that the US allows lots of ingredients and processes that the EU and other countries have banned as being dangerous.

http://www.shape.com/blogs/shape-your-life/13-banned-foods-still-allowed-us

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2013/05/7-dodgy-foodag-practices-banned-europe-just-fine-here

What would you think if the Europeans used the same broad brush that we use on Chinese goods and say that they would never buy anything made in America because some American items are considered unsafe?

For example, 160 countries have banned Ractopomine, but 60-80% of American pigs are fed that because its a growth stimulant.

Maybe, we should stop buying American goods altogether?

As America has shifted away more and more from manufacturing, it seems like we've replaced it with this misguided nostalgia about the quality for American products.

The truth is that there were lots of American goods made in this country that were just terrible in quality that would rival the worst that China produces today.

I remember my parents owned this American car that was made in America, and it was beyond terrible- it was always breaking down, and something had to be fixed even when it was still relatively new.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Yes, Texas_Gem, we own 2 American made cars, and have owned American made cars for the past 20+ years, I put my money where my mouth is! My grown son owns 2 American made cars as well."

fishymom:

You never define "American" cars. Is a Honda made by Ohioans an American car, or would that be a Ford built by Mexicans?

• JoppaRich
    9 years ago

"The truth is that there were lots of American goods made in this country that were just terrible in quality that would rival the worst that China produces today."

Exactly. And this is why the whole Buy American thing is ridiculous. If there are similar quality products at similar price points from america, and elsewhere, I buy american, but when there's not, all we're doing by buying these things is propping up poorly run companies.

If America can't compete on making doodad X, we shouldn't be trying to prop up the doodad X industry, we should be converting these factories to do something else.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I will add that country of origin is not as important to me as quality of the product. I would prefer to buy quality products that are made in America, but I don't rule out products that aren't. I agree that "Made in America" is not always synonymous with "quality."

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

My unfinished stock cabinets I just plugged into my existing layout were Made in America....and are pretty much crap. They were the right choice for me because they matched my existing cabinets after I painted everything, and I was working on a small budget prior to the possibility of a big overhaul later. But the reality is they were created with shoddy workmanship and materials...but are also not pretending to be what they are not.

Take that for whatever it is worth, just information. For the record I strongly believe in American products and assembly for Americans who need jobs, but if the standard is not there I do not vote for that with my wallet.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

I personally do check COO on all major purchases (household items, clothing, appliances etc..), many times I will call or email a company to ask....if it is made in China/Vietnam I do tend to avoid it and keep looking for something that is made in the USA if possible

99% of the time the quality is better, I don't think a rational person can dispute that....I personally can not think of anything that I have bought that is made in China is better then the USA version?

One quick example, I have worn Redwing boots for 25 years. They typically last 5-6 years, I have new soles put on them and wear those for around the house and buy a new pair for work...well the last pair I bought I was not paying attention and bought a pair that was made in China, didn't even notice until a month or so after...went back to the store and noticed there was two displays, one display was cheaper and the more expensive display had a large Made in USA on the box (how I didn't notice is beyond me!) Long story short, the Chinese version lasted exactly 8 months...cobbler would not even bother putting on a new sole the leather was so bad on them

I will stick with the Made in USA whenever possible, I much prefer to keep Americans working when possible....if that makes me racist, so be it

• calumin
    9 years ago

ajc71 - going back to the original post, I think it is debatable to argue that in general American-made porcelain would be of higher quality than Chinese-made porcelain, or that Chinese porcelain is low quality.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

went back to the store and noticed there was two displays, one display was cheaper and the more expensive display had a large Made in USA on the box (how I didn't notice is beyond me!) Long story short, the Chinese version lasted exactly 8 months...cobbler would not even bother putting on a new sole the leather was so bad on them

Point made - one display was cheaper, and the product was more cheaply made. That isn't because it's made in China, it's because Red Wing decided they wanted to have a cheaper line, and to get that, they had to source the product outside the USA. The product was undoubtedly made to their exact specifications.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

"The product was undoubtedly made to their exact specifications."

So did US companies specify for Chinese factories to use melamine as a cheap filler in our pet food (that masks itself as part of the protein level in feed to pass the tests)?

Here is a link that might be useful: chinese feed fillers

This post was edited by snookums2 on Mon, May 12, 14 at 20:16

• Vertise
    9 years ago

"When dangerous goods are sent to the US, its mostly because a US company wanted something cheaper than was possible to make safely, and the chinese company followed the guidelines they were given."

If that is the case, it is despicable that these companies are willing to compromise safety in order to fill contracts, ie, money money money is their foremost priority. They are not concerned enough about quality. A reputable company to be sourcing from would not be doing this. They would say I can't make this any cheaper than such and such.

Perhaps they aren't developed enough at this point to know better with some of these things. A good reason to be wary of their practices.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oaktown, that was my post on RH. You can see that I was willing to pay more to get the hardware for my cabinets made in the USA.

The sooner I can find something suitable to buy there with my gift certificate, the sooner I can stop actively disliking RH and feeling the need to rant. :)

• isabel98
    9 years ago

Why not just re-gift the certificate? Not sure how it's ok to buy something there when it's not your money and not ok if it were your money???

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

magsnj, is the gift card transferable?

Perhaps you could sell it at a small discount to someone who does want to shop at RH -- then you could take the money to get some Made in USA products?

I'm no etiquette expert, but that doesn't seem like the kind of thing a gift-giver would mind.

(Oops, posting at same time as Isabel)

This post was edited by Oaktown on Mon, May 12, 14 at 19:37

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

>The sooner I can find something suitable to buy there with my gift certificate, the sooner I can stop actively disliking RH and feeling the need to rant. :)

You do know that there are online sites where you can trade in unwanted gift cards for credits for other stores/amazon (although amazon is also a case in itself)?

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

isabel98, am I the only person left in the world that doesn't regift? Most of my sister in laws do it and I can't understand why. The gc is for a significant amount.... and clearly it's not ok for me to buy something when it's not my money, or else I would've bought something long ago. It doesn't help that the majority of the things they have are so dreary, but then add my other requirements on and here I am two years later, still trying to find something.

writersblock, the only ones I've seen, you lose a significant amount of value. If you know of any that I could trade for face value or near it, that'd be great!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

There are sites where you can trade or sell gift certificates, aren't there? Maybe that would be the thing to do.

I've been in your shoes, had a gift certificate but was reluctant to use it on things that I could get for a better price elsewhere. Finally I just bit the bullet and paid a little bit more for some things I could really use. Reminded myself that it was, after all, a gift.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

"here I am two years later, still trying to find something."

Be careful how long you wait or you could lose its full value should the company fold. Those specific cards are risky. They collect the cash for a pre-sale, while you could wind up with nothing in return.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

I've been in and out of there for a few years now and haven't found anything I can actually use. I don't care for the quality of the bedding. I looked at some velvet draperies which were OK for ready made. But they came folded.

HOWEVER, when we redid our apartment I needed new towels. Mine were worn out. I waited for a sale and purchased theirs as well as bathmats. I have found them to be excellent. They are very heavy duty, launder beautifully and hold up exceptionally well. There is broad range of colors. I believe they are made in Turkey.

A year or so before I had purchased the cotton equivalent of cashmere towels directly from a wholesaler. The RH towels are holding up better and I would purchase them again. I also compared them to Waterworks towels and found them to be comparable at a better price.

They are not exactly a budget item and might be just the thing to use the credit for -- that is if you should need towels.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

> If you know of any that I could trade for face value or near it, that'd be great!

Well, not really. I'd say that if you're willing to take amazon instead, giftcardgranny.com probably has the best deals, but unfortunately how good the deal is depends on how much demand there is for what you're trading in. I'm afraid RH doesn't fetch nearly as much of a premium as, say, Starbucks.

• marvelousmarvin
    9 years ago

[QUOTE]When dangerous goods are sent to the US, its mostly because a US company wanted something cheaper than was possible to make safely, and the chinese company followed the guidelines they were given.

There's some absolute junk being made in china, and some of the best quality goods in the world. It all depends on what the contract is asking for. [/QUOTE]

That reminds me of the Mattel toy recall where they recalled millions and millions of toys made in China. When that story broke, it got played up as another story about how products made in China were dangerous.

But, the reality was that the vast majority of those recalled toys were dangerous because of design flaws and the specs that Mattel had ordered. It didn't matter if those toys had been made in China or in the US- most of those toys were still going to be dangerous to kids.

However, it seems some posters feel that all the blame should be placed on the Chinese manufacturer for following Mattel's specs instead of Mattel for sending over a dangerous design.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

rococo, I can vouch for RH towels. About 9 years ago I got a nice RH gift certificate. I bought white towels. I have never had such thick, substantial towels. Unfortunately, they aren't as white anymore, but they have otherwise held up admirably. Another color might be perfect, but I'm a sucker for white towels.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

sorry, I'm not saying re gifting is generally a great idea to do....I don't do it. but I made the suggestion because clearly you do NOT like the company or the product. I don't either.

I know if it were me I would feel much satisfaction giving this to someone who would get enjoyment from it and I would be able to move on..

good luck:)

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Those towels are on sale now.

• thepaintedlady_gw
    9 years ago

What is wrong with Made In China?

Because Americans want clean air and labor laws but don't want to pay for anything made under those conditions?

• Vertise
    9 years ago

"Americans want ... but don't want to pay for anything "

We hear this a lot here. I don't know what part the country or world you live in, but we pay a bloody fortune for things around here. The cost of living has become astronomical.

I think it's more what one of my foreign born friends says -- everyone here is trying to be a millionaire.

• weissman
    9 years ago

Things may be expensive everywhere, but unfortunately they'd be a lot more expensive if they weren't manufactured using cheap foreign labor so that American CEOs can take home huge salaries.

Despite what some of you would like to think, some of the previous posters were spot on - the Chinese are capable of making very high quality goods as well as cheap goods to satisfy the price points of some American companies. And while I'm sure that the American companies didn't specifically require the Chinese to use lead paint on toys or dangerous chemicals in pet food, the price points they gave the Chinese manufacturers and the lack of quality control by the American companies definitely led to that.

It's easy to say "Buy American" but how many of you would pay double for an item to do that? And just because it's made in America doesn't guarantee reliability or safety. Do you really think crack-addicted rednecks in American factories are more skilled than Chinese workers?

As far as the OP goes, you got a gift card to an expensive store - use it or give it away but stop complaining about the store's advertising. Unless you're sure that the China dishes they're selling are not high quality, you haven't got a leg to stand on. I was once given a gift card to an expensive kitchen store and used it to purchase a very expensive roasting pan that I probably wouldn't have bought out of my own pocket - it's one of the best purchases I ever made and I use it all the time.

This post was edited by weissman on Wed, May 14, 14 at 15:22

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

It's easy to say "Buy American" but how many of you would pay double for an item to do that?

It's the same thing as the Walmart superstore issue - everyone's against it until it opens in their neighborhood/area and then they shop there and drive the smaller grocer/local merchant out of business. Why? Price point, plain and simple.

• fishymom
    9 years ago

"Do you really think crack-addicted rednecks in American factories are more skilled than Chinese workers?"

Are you kidding me! First we are Nazis and racists, now American factory workers are crack-addicted rednecks! If that is the most intelligent arguments you can put forward, then you can't really expect intelligent people to take you serious.

I have already stated that I routinely pay 20+% more for NOT made in China goods. I have never had to pay 50% more to purchase similar or better quality American or other non China made goods.

As far as Walmart, I routinely drive right past one and continue either 5 or 10 miles to smaller, privately owned markets to do my shopping. Walmart grew exponentially touting Made in America, now 90% of what they carry is made in China. And my issues with Walmart are not limited to their inventory!

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 17:07

• Vertise
    9 years ago

"And while I'm sure that the American companies didn't specifically require the Chinese to use lead paint on toys or dangerous chemicals in pet food, the price points they gave the Chinese manufacturers and the lack of quality control by the American companies definitely led to that."

Funny how the Chinese screw up royally and you still blame the Americans.

That their factories would even consider, and be allowed to, use pet and baby food food fillers like that, disguising itself as protein to trick the DRV level, is enough warning about the state of their development/knowledge/regulation for buyers to beware.

I am wary of anything I buy from anywhere but at least we have a lot of regulations and organizations in place in the States to try to protect people.

Speaking of which, no doubt we have irresponsible, shady companies using these foreign companies not just for the cheap foreign labor they can provide but to bypass all those regulations and controls they have to deal with here. There is a learning curve there, too, on just what can happen when they are not in full control and knowledge of operations; and what controls they must develop and implement to ensure product safety, like when people get creative with fillers. You'll find that in business operations too. A manager can only be as good as the people that were hired.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 17:17

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Weissman, I actually have two legs to stand on. Thank you for your concern. And I can complain about any company I'd like to. That's another great thing about America, that I have freedom of speech and can use it when I disagree with a companies relatively recent change in business model if that's what I want to use it for.

Quite frankly, it's something as simple as the lack of true freedom of speech in China alone that would make me unlikely to want to buy products made there, whether they're high quality or not.

• calumin
    9 years ago

magsnj -- I think we're coming to the core issue, which is that you don't like China! Regardless of quality.

Thank you for clarifying. I'm glad we've moved away from the initial idea of "don't we all know how crappy China products are, what is RH thinking!!!" to some more honest views about how we view other countries.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Calumin, you are as biased in your views/perceptions of other people/countries as you accuse others of. Not sure how you pass your own sniff test. But at least your heart is in the right place.

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The core issue is actually that I don't like Restoration Hardware...... anymore. There was a time I liked them very much and it gets under my skin. There are products made in China in millions of other stores, yet I keep returning to rant about my disappointment in RH.

Saying I don't like China is a pretty broad statement, and makes me wonder what is implied by it. I don't like that it's communist, I don't like that it's lead by a dictatorship, and I don't like that the people don't have "unalienable rights" that all people deserve. But I guess I like China enough to dislike all of those things for it.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I like Panda Express.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Magsnj - well said.

• Evan
    9 years ago

This political debate on the kitchen board is a little ridiculous. But anyway, I assume many of you are reading this on your iPhone or iPad. Which are, of course, made in China.

NPR has a great podcast on economics called Planet Money that I recommend. They've done several podcasts on globalization in manufacturing, and about US companies manufacturing in China. They're very informative, and I discovered that the whole issue is far more complex than the broad generalizations usually put forth about this topic.

• calumin
    9 years ago

snookums2 -- I didn't mean my last post to be an accusation. But the OP said three totally different disparaging things in three different posts about China (the first one implying that China quality is poor, the second one implying that the Chinese starve their workers, the third one saying they suppress free speech), then in the last post gave three more things he or she didn't like about China.

The OP or anyone else is obviously free to not buy Chinese-sourced products for any or all of those reasons, and I agree with some of the opinions stated. But the original question, which ended up morphing, was about whether it was ridiculous for RH to claim that Chinese porcelain could be high quality. My answer to that question was "no."

• magsnj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The OP stated facts. China has a reputation of poor quality.....whether you believe it's warranted or not is irrelevant. The reputation is there. The OP wouldn't use the word stereotype b/c it's inflammatory. The Op doesn't recall saying anything about starvation, yet another inflammatory accusation, but you've inferred inflammatory things all along so why stop now. China has well documented cases of suppressing speech..... or rather imprisoning those that employ it (which the OP sees as the same thing). The OP prefers to base their statements on facts, rather than emotions.

The OP is over this debate. The OP maintains her position of disdain for RH and has high hopes that China can become a democracy that extends unalienable rights to it's citizens and once again regains it's stronghold in porcelain so that the OP doesn't have to scoff at ridiculous advertising. The OP may make another post in a couple of months when she gains the strength to dust off the RH website and look for something suitable and can't find anything. Stay tuned.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I haven't liked the Nazi or Racist comments & I don't like the "crack addicted redneck" comment.
    I do like RH towels.

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, May 15, 14 at 2:56

• thepaintedlady_gw
    9 years ago

It's easy to say "Buy American" but how many of you would pay double for an item to do that?

I do. All the time.

A jeweler once admonished me to use local talent - otherwise someday when I needed something it wouldn't be there. I have taken this to heart.

We're all responsible for how other people are treated. We're all responsible for the things we buy. Shamefully most of the electronics we use Coltan - which is (generally) obtained in deeply unethical ways requiring a price in life and blood that if most people knew about would look in askance at our throwaway culture of electronics. But for most other stuff you can generally find a way to not buy the thing that requires an other person live in misery.

My avoidance of things made in China isn't born of racism. The Chinese are as capable of putting out an amazing work of art/carpet/tile/sink (or in this case plate) as anyone else in the world. I don't (currently) trust their business practices and I don't like the way their workers are treated.

When you buy something from the US or Italy or France or Germany or someplace with actual labor laws you are (in part) paying for the fact that the man/woman who made it lives a pretty good life and has access to clean water. The factory where it was made does not throw out lead into the environment.

I also don't buy carpets made in Pakistan or India because I don't think it is possible to buy carpets made there without taking part child slavery.

If you can't afford the things you want in life without asking for someone else to suffer for them, maybe you should reevaluate what it is you want and what you actually need.

Do you really think crack-addicted rednecks in American factories are more skilled than Chinese workers?

If they're addicted to anything it's Oxy and Meth. Get your drug addictions straight.

And you tell me: it's 2 AM, you're in some bigbox store because it's put all the other stores in the area out of business (and no sane proprietor would stay open to 2AM) and you need to buy a Thermos. They are both the same size, both will do the job, both are the same price. One is made in China - the other in the US.

Which to you buy? If you use the fact that one was made in China and the other in the US - why? If you're saying that the "rednecks" do a worse job then I suppose you buy the one from China. Otherwise you already have your answer.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Sounds like the OP doesn't want any nice towels either. Being so outraged at a store's marketing policy is definitely a first-world problem.

All the Chinese tourists I see with suitcases stocking up on our Chinese-made designer brands at Woodbury Commons don't seem as emotionally challenged about that. They just buy and roll.

• skaun
    9 years ago

Here's a little story. My granite installation was scheduled for today - found this out over the weekend - and I needed support brackets like Centerline. If I had been given more notice, I would have purchased from them, but that will cut it close for shipping.

So, I hit up several stores, spoke to many installers and could not find anything besides that cheap decorative crap you see for wood shelves. Home Depot, Ace, Menards, nothing!

Finally went to Lowes and got something that may work - Stanley Support Bracket. I got home and looked at it only to see a Made in China stamp on the other side of the manufacturer name.

Good thing I have not issues using Chinese goods.

• shadey
    9 years ago

Hilarious! really!

Interestung marketing strategy. It might work with the young up and comers. Who knows? I'll just get my cheap white stoneware from Target, thanks!

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

anyone know where Americans can buy towels made in America??? i know i can't.....

Pakistan, India, Turkey....

Are we really saying we can't make our own towels....so unbelievable....

years ago all my towels were Canon or Fieldcrest and all of them were made in the good ol USA.... i don't think those companies are even in business any more...sad :(

if anyone is looking for USA flatware, Libertytabletop.com is, I think, the only place to buy American -made flatware..

just a quick comment on this topic, we did it to ourselves to save $$$$$$$$$$. all our factories closed to make products overseas, why, because it CHEAPER....!!!!!
    ....from steel (Pittsburgh), to furniture, linens, kitchen gadgets, home decor, Christmas lights, hardware and on and on and on...

another reason why the unemployment rate is so high, no more factories...
    we really can blame only our own companies and government, free trade and all, NAFTA... fat cats getting their dividend checks....

its ALWAYS about the almighty dollar!!!!!!

p.s., we always try to buy America-made to keep Americans working - a working country is a strong country!!!

just ordered the world's best brass nozzle, for garden hose
    www.worldsbestbrassnozzle.com - ordered on amazon....
    hubbardton forge fixtures and many other things.....

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'll just get my cheap white stoneware from Target, thanks!

Which is, according to the Target website "made in America or imported" :-)

• beekeeperswife
    9 years ago

wow, I got a little lost in this.

someone suggested re-gifting it. If it is a dollar amount that is a whole number like $50 (ie, it was given to you and not a store credit with $xy.59 or whatever) then I say give it to someone else. Or Donate it to a silent auction for a good cause, this way you help out a group trying to raise money and the person who purchases it wants it.

Good luck.

PS--I had a purse that everyone complimented me on. I always chuckled because I responded "Thank you, it's from China"...because it was. Purchased on a trip to Shanghai.

• Janet
    9 years ago

Here's a source for American made towels. I do not have any connection with them, but have the site marked in my made in America products list.

Here is a link that might be useful: towels made in the USA

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area