Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edb2n_gw

Another Backsplash Thread

Evan
10 years ago

We're finishing up our DIY kitchen refresh, and all of the major jobs are done except the backsplash. Cabinets are painted a creamy white (custom color), counters are Kashmir White, walls are Revere Pewter. We love marble, and really tried to use a Carrara tile, but it's way too busy with the counter. So we had pretty much resigned ourselves to white subways. That would be perfectly fine, but we were hoping for something a little different.

Anyway, we discovered this San Dona marble at the Tile Shop. From what I can tell, it looks just like Thassos marble. White with no veining, very subtle color variation and crystalline flecking. We've chosen a 1" hex tile. I know this is kind of bathroomy, but we like the fact that it's unusual. Grout will be white.

Any thoughts? Does the bathroom look bother you? Does the color or pattern work? We like it a lot, but are afraid of making a mistake with something so expensive and difficult to change. Feedback appreciated!

Comments (19)

• Evan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the tile directly on the counter. I must be the world's worst photographer. Every picture looks dark and yellow-tinged. Like it's from 1977.

• Evan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close up that shows the texture of the tile

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

I like it. But I would probably match grout to tile. Do up a sample with white grout and matching grout, then put it in your space with your lights. Thats a lot of grout lines to stand out in white. Everything looks pretty yellow on my screen, but I know colors can be quite different IRL.

• Evan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks OOTM. The tile is actually very white. It's just my terrible pictures. We looked at a few white grouts and found one that's a perfect match.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a better picture

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

I like the color. But I'm worried it will be way too busy when it's up - even with a matching grout. Is there an option that is a bit bigger?

I really wanted an interesting shape, too, so I know it's hard to find one without breaking the bank! And I looked at a lot of hex. I think there was some 2" in sheets - I just couldn't find the right color for me.

I'd definitely like to see this compared to something a bit bigger.

• Evan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, I'm an idiot. I just realized my 3 year old was playing with my phone and had turned on the camera filter that makes everything look like a 1970's Polaroid. So that's why the color is so weird. I may try again when I get home this evening.
    Kathy, they do have a 2" hex, and maybe a 3" as well. We did discuss the larger tile, but liked the look of the small ones. We certainly don't want it to be too busy, but I wonder if that can be taken too far. Everything in the kitchen is pretty plain. Counters have some movement, but not super busy. Backsplash is basically solid color with matching grout. We kind of liked the interesting texture the small tile provided. Below is one of our inspiration pictures. Same counters, similar cabinet color. The tile is mini brick instead of hex, but is similar in size.

• msrose
    10 years ago

I don't think of it as being busy at all if the grout matches and I like the hexagon a lot.

• dgormish
    10 years ago

That sounds/looks beautiful! Artistic not busy. Definitely match the grout.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Love your whole look. Cabinet color, countertops, knobs & the hex backsplash!

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

Well, I was going to say a hex has six sides and a brick only 4 so it would be less busy anyway...but then I saw this picture of a mother of pearl 1" and it's beautiful. And I think these cabs are light green, but still close to your colors of light cabs, light counters...
    (I had just finished my backsplash when I really started to look into MOP tiles and I have to say, I sort of wish I had gone with them myself!!!)

• Evan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. That's a great picture, Kathy. Helps me visualize what ours will look like. MOP was on our possibility list, too.

Here's a better picture.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

I really like it. Try doing a mockup board with some tile and grout to make sure the grout works, I would not do a contrast grout with that. I had ordered some similar tile samples to that (different shape) but they clearly said that the actual order may not be all white. So be careful with that kind of marble.

• olympia776
    10 years ago

Waving hi!

I really like it!! I like the crystalline depth to it, the variation on white, the subtle character. I think it'll be really nice! Is it the shape that's throwing you off? Would you prefer something like the mini brick of your inspiration picture?

I'm still kind of undecided on mine and have moved on to picking a top for my new cabinet. That's not proving to be too much easier though!

I'm with you though on trying to pick something that's a little outside of the norm. I'm usually into playing it safe so it's a little scary to choose something that's different.

That was too funny about the camera setting!!

• mgmum
    10 years ago

I like it! I think it'll look great!

• isabel98
    10 years ago

I like it...very beautiful

• Evan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Detroit burb: They actually had some sample boards done at the Tile Shop, so we were able to pIck the grout that was the closest match.

Browneyes: Maybe after you get everything else picked, the backsplash will fall into place. It did for us. They have a mini brick in this marble, but we thought the hex was more interesting. Just want to make sure it doesn't look like a bathroom floor.

Thanks MGMum and Isabel. I'm feeling better about it now

• olympia776
    10 years ago

I think it looks great! I think the MOP example in the hex looks good too. I think it'll be really beautiful! Hope you post pics once it's in!

• Anne M
    5 years ago

I really like it... I am using a larger San Dona tile for my bathroom floor... its got an unique crystalline fleck texture that is accent-ful enough on its own.

• Gail Johnson
    3 years ago

Anne M, can you please post a picture of your bathroom floor? I am thinking about using San Dona instead of Calacatta Gold on my bathroom floor to have a calmer look and would love to see how it looks in your room.