Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbug

Island with outlet? Where to put it and any pics?

cbug
14 years ago

Im laying out our kitchen and the outlet is set to be on the far end. Do any of you have creative ways to "hide" it and if so, where did you place yours?

Island size is roughly 45" x 6-7'.

Comments (20)

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

Check out Segbrown's kitch.

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Mine is on the side. I don't notice it much. I have heard of people using plug mold under the edge of their counters, but I'm not sure how it works.

• nursetammi
    14 years ago

We have 2 outlets in our island. They have black plates. In the top picture if you are looking at the drawers its to the far right. The second one is obvious. It doesn't bother me at all but I do usually have a stool there. I'm not sure I had many choices in placing them.

• country_smile
    14 years ago

This is an option if your island has a wood frame under the overhang. We have 2 outlets like this one under the counter because my preference was to have it completely out of sight.

• doonie
    14 years ago

I have one hidden outlet and then had to sucumb to a grommet on the counter top. I don't have a photo yet, but since I will be using all my small appliances on the island, I had to compromise!

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

I can show you what the plugmold looks like.

• totallyconfused
    14 years ago

Mine is in the end of the island that faces the range, so you don't even see it when you are sitting at the kitchen table or family room. In fact, my daughter didn't even know it was there. She complained about having nowhere to plug in the mixer.

Totally Confused

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

I have angled plugmold under my overhang - 2 outlets on each side. I have all drawers so there was no place to put them on the side of a cabinet. Also, my drawers were to high so I couldn't put them just above them. I'm still under construction so ignore the mess. View from underneath

I'm 5'3" so here is what I see standing up

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

Ours are on the two short ends of the island. They're not hidden so I used nice outlet covers (ORB to match the pulls.) Here is one:

{{!gwi}}

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Sorry to hijack, but Chicagoans, I really like your pendants. Can you tell me any brand information about them? Thanks in advance. :)
    ~Wendy

• natesgram
    14 years ago

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Boo hoo in our city we are not allowed to have it under the overhang OR covered up! I had visions of putting it in a tilt out false drawer front (like the sponge tilt under the sink), but not allowed here. Ours will go smack dab on the side of the island where it will show :( I didn't want to poke a hole in our pretty granite, so can't do the pop-up ones.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

I have one in the back of a shelf, where it almost disappears. I used a colored receptacle and cover from Lutron Satin Colors to help it hide.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• megradek
    14 years ago

we shortened the drawers on both ends of the island to fit the box, then used a matching outlet cover to help hide it. the shortened drawer sizes don't bother me because those smaller drawers are used for pot holders and bibs/kid's washcloths.

From house

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

I recommend against Ughmold. (Sorry, Plugmold.) Countrygal, yours looks OK, blends in well, but when I had it installed on the ends of my island, I felt sick. I am waiting for the cabinet guy to make a strip of molding to cover the holes that the electricians made installing it. The elec. knew of no other options, since we didn't plan for or have space for regular outlets. But after the fact, buffalotina mentioned Sillites to me and I ended up trading them out. It was worth it; even the holes that are there now don't bother me nearly as much as the strip did. (Maybe because I know they will be covered eventually.)

The only problem is that it doesn't seem to hold big plugs like those for our computers. But that's a minor problem.

Plugmold

Sillite

• cindyandmocha
    14 years ago

I've been planning on using a mockett.. I linked one version of it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: mockett's

• laranita2
    14 years ago

Our outlets will be on the counter portion of the island, there will be a little cutout circle with a latch on the countertop, you pull it up and the outlets stick up when you need them... when you're done you just push it back into the countertop.

I don't have any pictures of it b/c it hasn't been finished yet :)

• cbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

BUMP - for more ideas and pics

• cindyandmocha
    13 years ago

larinita, that sounds like exactly what we went with. Cabinets are going in today.

Here is a link to what we actually ordered, which is a Mockett rated for kitchens.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.mockett.com/furniture-hardware/pcs34-90.html

• Stefaniebb
    13 years ago

Hi,
    Made the decision to put the Sillites into my island so that I didn't have to worry about touching the paneling-
    thought I would share the pictures- the only downside is they only come in white or black but it will be hidden under the overhang from the granite

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}