Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamacassey

HATE my new backsplash!!!

MamaCassey
11 years ago

Hello,�

I'm a newbie here desperately seeking advice. We are weeks away from moving into our newly built home and I hate our backsplash. I've had doubts about it through the whole process but our contractor and my hubby both kept saying "wait for the counters..." "wait for the appliances..." "look in a different light..."

Well I've done all that and hate it more. It competes with my bianco antico (which I wanted to be the star), it picks up blue/grey from the appliances. It's a disaster IMO. How did we go so wrong?!?

I got hubby to ask what our options are for ripping it out and our contractor was not too happy. Hubs is mad because we have to move by the 1st and thinks this will push it back, which we can't have happen. I have agreed to move in, live with itfor a month or so and if I still hate it hubs says we can redo it.�

I will admit I feel very childish, but it's like this has taken the thunder out of our new house. We had such high hopes, and now I can't get past our mistake.�

I desperately need advice! Anyone hated their new bs? What did you do? Is mine as bad as I think? ( I am �actually embarrassed posting these!!) Please be gentle :)

Comments (85)

• northcarolina
    11 years ago

You don't need one more opinion but I also vote to rip off the bandaid quick and do it now. If you live with it for a month, you won't like it any better but by then you will be used to looking at it and probably tired of dealing with anything related to construction. I also think it will be simpler to deal with before the range hood goes in.

It is a pretty backsplash, but I agree with everyone else (and you), it's just not right with your granite. I can also see how you would have chosen it, especially next to a smaller sample of the granite. But I really came here to say that I just realized what your granite reminds me of: a cookies and cream milkshake. :) Your cabinets are like chocolate sauce, and I think a vanilla ice cream backsplash would look great with it. (Now I'm getting hungry...)

You have a beautiful kitchen! Good luck with your move and I hope they don't give you too hard a time about changing the tile.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

I agree - I would go ahead and rip it out. Can you get a CO without a backsplash behind your stove? I think you can if you are using electric - maybe not with gas. If so, I would rip it out before you move in and just paint the backsplash area. It will be fine like that for a while and you will have some time to get something that matches better.

Sorry!

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Ditto here, rip it out now, paint it and take your time choosing the right backsplash you will love. Your kitchen is too beautiful to leave it even temporarily, it will just continue to be a sore point for you. You have our support and will all be here to help along the way with your choices. Good luck!!!

• Sharon kilber
    11 years ago

Don't let this back splash ruin the excitement of moving in your new home. Everyone has made some mistakes. And yours is not that hard to redo. And you can laugh about it later on. And who cares if your contractor, is not happy about tearing it down. He should want you happy. Good Luck!

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Don't rush to pick a new backsplash. It is not true that the "right" answer is always to default to the most bland, neutral choice. In fact, the overwhelming majority of "I hate my new backsplash posts" come from people who chose neutrals and bland choices at every turn. Take your time, and try out multiple options.

And enough with the "guy" stuff. Many of America's most sought-after designers are male.

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

The contractor might be able to tile over most of the offending tile. The tile would have to be removed on the walls that flank the countertop since you can see the edges of it, but tiling over the offending tile on the back wall will only shorten your countertop by a fraction of an inch.

• joaniepoanie
    11 years ago

Pretty much what everyone else has said....it's too busy with the granite and color isn't right. If you want granite to be the star...a simple creamy color tile (matched to the background in your granite) I think would work best and look beautiful against your cabinets. Love the circular island! Start hitting the tile shops immediately and try to get it done before you move in.

• sixtyohno
    11 years ago

Backsplash is the hardest component of the kitchen, especially when we have access to such gorgeous choices for the counters. So you made a mistake. As my mom wold say-"that should be the worse thing that ever happens to you." Rip it out asap. Move in. Have fun messing around with tiles.
    Laura

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I agree with all the others. All you see is the backsplash as if it is the star but it doesn't flow nor work with the granite. Someone suggested looking at the arabesque tile and with the curve in your island it may be a really nice match both colour and shape-wise. Do tear it out now.

• carp123
    11 years ago

here's another post for DH to read.

REDO.

I love your cabinets...and your stone is lovely.

whites subways would be stunner.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Marcolo, the majority of men involved in design are not designers. They're partners and spouses where things are good enough, leave well enough alone, we already did it, live with it, it's too much $$, I don't like change, blah blah.

As a matter of fact, I'd be interested in the ratio of male designers : male population as a point of curiosity. The males on this board are here because they get it. And some of them are partnered with those who ... don't.

Bottom line and not to hijack, I think the op has received some valid opinions. LOL "some"! Now I'm awaiting the result!

• hermajesty
    11 years ago

Awwwwww, so sorry you got talked into this. Sounds like your instincts were right on target. I also have Bianco Antico granite so of course I love it. It looks beautiful with your cabinets. But it needs/wants/and IS the star. The backsplash makes everything too busy. Tell hubby is has to go or you won't be happy. Remind him he really wants you to be happy :)

• wolfgang80
    11 years ago

I agree that the two don't go together, but I have to say that I really like the backsplash with your beautiful cabinets. I think the small sections of countertop that abut the backsplash would look great with a solid colour quartz. That would leave your BA island to shine.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I agree with Marcolo on a couple of points.

And enough with the "guy" stuff. Many of America's most sought-after designers are male. A good reminder. Those of us females wouldn't like someone coming to the site and saying "Women are (insert stereotype here)." either. There is often one partner in a relationship that either doesn't care or doesn't see the detail we TKO fuss over. Sometimes it's a male and sometimes it's a female. In my household it's not a matter of my male being blind, but rather apathetic. If I ask him directly for a single opinion, he often has phenomenal taste and instincts, he just isn't going to volunteer to spend hours perusing the web or shopping at tile stores. And he certainly isn't going to stress over backsplash tile like I would. (Or like I did with floor tile grout.)

Don't rush to pick a new backsplash. Another good point. I suppose my instincts say a fairly bland backsplash would be great. But I think something not quite so bland could work too. There's a huge amount of variation in tiles available somewhere between plain single color ceramic tile and intricate multiple material mosaics. I probably wouldn't pick something as busy as you have up now, but that's not to say that something in between wouldn't be fantastic. Perhaps an interesting shape or gradation would be lovely. I've seen iridescent mosaics and crackle finishes and all manner of shapes, sizes and materials out there. There's no reason you need a backsplash this instant. Take your time and find something that makes your heart skip a beat.

• Mom23Es
    11 years ago

I don't like the backsplash either. :-( That granite is gorgeous though! Wow! Don't let a backsplash ruin the joy of your new house. Your kitchen is fantastic otherwise.

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

As a I hate my backsplash previous poster- my heart goes out to you! Mine was sadly my own issue so I am living with my choice and actually starting to really like it. I am sad that is not the case with yours:( Hang in there! And remove as soon as you can- it will be easier now rather than later.

• cawaps
    11 years ago

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things doesn't belong.

I don't dislike the backsplash--it could look phenomenal in a kitchen with a more modern spin, paired with a counter in a uniform-color quartz. But with your granite it really doesn't work. As practically everyone else has noted, both the color and busy-ness are not a great match for the counters.

I agree with Marcolo that you don't have to default to bland. Although the ubiquitous creamy subways would probably be pretty here, you could use an interesting shaped tile in a uniform color (someone mentioned Bee's white arabesque tiles). And I don't think white/creamy is the only option--I could see a muted green tile in your space playing well with the taupes in the counter.

It will be a very pretty kitchen when all is said and done. Good luck!

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

It's not often that everyone here agrees that some particular kitchen element, especially one already installed, is a mistake. This is as unanimous as it gets, that backsplash was a wrong turn. I hemmed and hawed over the first photo, but when I got to the one showing the whole kitchen, oh my goodness. So yes, you'll need to redo the backsplash sooner rather than later. It may be a bit of a pain and cost you some extra money, but the alternative is to leave it and let it overwhelm the whole feel of the kitchen. It's just not a little thing that can be overlooked.

I actually like the backsplash, but just not there - really not there.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Yeh, I agree with you. Not good together. I'd rip it out now as it may be easier to take care of it now then later. Good luck and so sorry!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Agree with all.
    Your cabinets are very similar to ours in style and color. Your CT is similar -a tad more brown than ours. We are almost ABBS (all but BS).
    Take a look at GW suggestions on our post. I will be watching yours for ideas!

• fluffybutt
    11 years ago

I like the backsplash and I like the countertops but I don't like them together. They are both a busy pattern and compete with one another.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen-cabinets and granite are really lovely, don't let this upset you. ALL OF US HERE have bought things that did not match. The BS is nice w/ a different counter.
    I agree you should take it out now, that way you can forget it faster. AND BURN THE RECEIPT. It would bother me more to live with it for a month or two, I can forget a mistake if it's not in my face every morning. If you need to keep it so you can move in then cover it. :)

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

first of all, your counters and kitchen cabinets are beautiful! you did a wonderful job and i know you'll enjoy it once it's finished.

but yes, the backsplash has to go. tiles are too small (busy) and the color is competing with the granite. rip it down and don't think about it again. give yourself some time and find something else ...maybe post a pic here before committing!

i'm so sorry this happened. but it can be fixed so don't despair!

• mistydatn
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I agree with you that the backsplash doesn't "go" with it. I am building a house now and understand the stress of it all. My advice is to fix it now before you move in. If you are like me, you want to be able to relax once you are moved in, not feel like you are still dealing with construction. Good luck!

• amykath
    11 years ago

Here is what you do...
    1. Show your dh this thread.
    2. Have him read it again.
    3. Start ripping out the backsplash
    4. Tell him you need to be happy and the backsplash is a very minor thing in all of this.

The worst would be if you hated your granite or your cabs and they are STUNNING! The backsplash is the easiest to deal with vs. hating your cabs or counters. I think some hue of white (be it natural stone or man made etc.) would look fabulous!

Take a deep breath and know that you will get this fixed... no problem!

LOVE your kitchen!!!!!

Amy

• tulip6
    11 years ago

Sorry. I have been there and know how frustrating it is and how you are beating yourself up. Try not to let it rain on your beautiful kitchen. Tell them you are tearing it out and choosing something different. I would not think that it should affect your move.

• amykath
    11 years ago

Here is a quick and dirty mockup for you. I hope this helps!!

{{!gwi}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

In the scheme of things, a backsplash is not that expensive and not that difficult to change.

So do not suffer with it.

If someone gives you grief, remind them it was their idea to wait until this, that and the other. You did as they requested. You waited until and until, and now you KNOW you do not like it.

I personally like very few backsplashes. I think they are too often overdone, especially now that so many people use stone counters that have their own patterns and colors to them. People often try too hard with their b/s.

I would highly recommend ripping it out, painting it, and then taking your sweet time to decide what if anything you want there (i vote shiplap).

Sorry for the bump in the road!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I will chime in with everyone else. Both are beautiful on their own but NOT together. Sometimes busy can go with busy, but not in this case.

Love the cabinets!

• BentleyM
    11 years ago

Hmmmm, honestly I'd rip it out and just repair and paint the wall.

• familyreno
    11 years ago

I feel so bad typing this but I really don't like it. As previous posters have said your granite is gorgeous but that tile does not match at all! When I posted my pics of our new kitchen I was not happy with my backsplash at all but I received overwhelming support to keep it. That's what I like about this site - people are very honest. Good luck!!

• peonybush
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry to tell you I don't like it either. Just chalk it up to a bad decision, rip it out and move on. Love your cabinets and hardware though.

• namarie
    11 years ago

My granite is not AB but the colors are very similar, at least in some parts of my kitchen. If you like glass, you might want to consider something similar to mine . . .glass 3x6 subway that won't be as busy as the smaller size in a taupe or gray color. I tried white glass, but there was always too much green tint in the white glass tiles. Good luck and don 't feel bad. I actually ordered the white glass tile and realized it wasn't going to work when it came in. I lost quite a bit of money on shipping costs, but you're going to have to live with this a while so you want to get it right. Your new home will be beautiful!

• donna2026
    11 years ago

If I were you I would rip it out. I am in the process of picking out my backsplash, and I am being very careful with the tile or what I get to not go overboard. I do not want to take away from my granite nor do I want it to clash. I kind of like plain tile with very little color and nothing else. maybe a border, but not sure. My neighbor installed a backsplash and did not like it and riped it out right away. she had a lot of sq. feet to remove, but she did not care. It looked horrible with her Granite. Her countertops look beautiful now. She did not even care that she lost all that $$$ and time. She said she sleeps better at night now. You will feel better after you re do it, and your husband and contractor will get over it. Good Luck!

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

namarie, that glass tile BS is gorgeous with that stone. This is what the OP should aim at.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Mama, usually I open a post titled like yours fully expecting that the OP is just paranoid and everything will be "fine."
    Not this time.

These do not belong together.

• knemb
    11 years ago

One more vote against that tile. I agree with above posters: have the gc at least take the tile off the wall while the thinset is still fresh(er) and prep the wall for a future backsplash.

In our new build, I am going without a tile backsplash (just drywall with satin paint) until I find just the right tile and just the right tile guy. It was way better, IMO, to do that than cringe every time I entered my brand new kitchen.

So again, to summarize: tear it out, prep the wall, move into your new house (!) and take your time figuring out the right tile.

• enduring
    11 years ago

I just noticed that it looks like you have a nice wall color with your cabs and counter.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

What you need to do as well as taking it out is

Step Back And Analyze How You Came To Pick Such a Bad Combination The First Time Around.

The tile is attractive
    The Stone is Great
    The Cabinets are very Nice

What was the design process here? Think about what you responded to with regards to both the stone and the tile that essentially blinded you to the fact that they fought each other.

You don't want to make the same mistake again, or make an opposite reactionary mistake and go supersafesuperboring.

This is probably a bossy piece of advice but I try to get clients to analyze their mistakes all the time so that they don't come home with something they hate over and over again (for whatever reason).

• MamaCassey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello again, thank you all for the responses and advice. And aktillery, thank you for the mock up. It helped me see how great it could be.
    We have been pushing our contractor to rip it out before we move in, but he seems to be stalling. We keep pushig though.
    We have been looking at new backsplash tile and are leaning towards a cream colored marble subway tile. I think someone on here has the one I want - maybe kitchenaid? A crema marfil tumbled marble. But we aren't jumping. Just looking and learning from our mistakes.

Thanks again!
    Mamacassey

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

I don't have time to read through all the responses. Did anyone like it?

I'd take it down pronto before the backsplash police come to arrest you.

Your cabinets and granite are gorgeous, and I usually don't like busier granites. I really love the curved island.

Take your time deciding on a new backsplash. I'm building a house too and I understand why you don't want to cause any delay. If I were you I'd remove it myself (it's not hard to do) and ask the contractor to repair the drywall and paint over it. Then you can wait a good while before having to make another decision. If you're like me you have enough to do right now with the last minute decisions and moving.

Good luck!!!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

I forgot to tell you that I think it's kitchenaddict's kitchen you admire. I've linked it below, and I love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchenaddict's beautiful kitchen

• slush1422
    11 years ago

Wow I know you don't need another "rip it out" vote - but if DH does...here's one. It doesn't go well - way to busy with your gorgeous BA and cabinets! Don't beat yourself up - just take it out.

• MamaCassey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops! Darn autocorrect! Sorry Kitchenaddict! I want to give credit where it's due. You have a beautiful kitchen!

• winesnob
    11 years ago

I would take it out, you will be upset everyday you are in the kitchen....Beautiful but not together. I would do white bs with gorgeous counter.

• whocareswhoiam
    8 years ago

Its been a few years - if you haven't replaced your tile...this seems to be a good time to revisit the backsplash. The cost is demo, drywall, new tile and installation. If that is too much at one time, demo and drywall, then kitchen paint for now. Would love to learn what happened ...??

• brook brook
    6 years ago

omg thank you for posting this!!! those are my counters AND that's the exact same tile in my master bath & everyone pushing me to put it in the kitchen. Now that I've seen it together in your pic I can say He77 NO! I'm thinking gray or greige glass....simple & elegant. THANK YOU & good luck

• Cathie B
    5 years ago

Yes, I am in the same boat. It's hard to wrap your head around ripping it out but I think it's the right thing to do. I'm sorry but you are right!! It doesn't match at all and looks really bad!!

Good luck, do what YOU like!!

• desertsteph
    5 years ago

I agree, it needed to go. I hope it did. post what you put in w/ pics if you're still around here. I've often seen (even on here) where someone puts a busy BS with a busy counter top - they just fight each other and cause nasty eye strain. be good to the eye balls and have 1 star.

and many on here (over the years) have lived a yr or 2 (or more) before doing the BS - often for this very reason, they couldn't find what they liked that didn't fight the counter top.

and if you posted what your hardware is, post that and I'll read thru the posts to find it. I like it too. and still haven't replaced the awful hardware in my kitchen yet - and I moved here about 6 yrs ago!

• AC LB
    5 years ago
    Honestly, that’s a quick, easy fix. It’s much less expensive than replacing the counters or floor! You can replace it while moving in. I would have them rip it out while you aren’t living there. Then have them replace within the first month. I’d go simple with a subway tile that matches the lightest color in your counters.