Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackchamois

Help me avoid the ABB club!

blackchamois
9 years ago

The kitchen cabinets are almost all in and I'm trying to avoid the ABB club. I have a few questions about my backsplash that I am hoping you can help me with.

I am planning on doing your basic white 3x6 subway tile.

1) Should I tile around the window and up to the ceiling or not? I really like the look of it going all the way up, but my main hesitation is that I would like to inset mount a roman shade at the window and not sure that I want to mess with drilling through tile for the mounting brackets.(Although now, looking back at pictures, all the windows that have tile around them and up to the ceiling, are framed out with moldings. I don't have that much room around the window to add molding, so if I framed out the window it would sort of ruin the look I was going for with the tile.)

2) At the peninsula end, should I continue the tile around and onto the wall with the 2 outlets, or just stop at the edge of the wall where the range/microwave is/will be?

3) I had wanted to do Oyster Gray grout instead of white. However, I have two unconventional angles (in the back left "corner") that will require some odd cuts. I made mention of the grout color to my tile installer and he suggested that a colored grout will probably make those cuts stand out more, which I had not considered, and suggested I stick with white grout for a more seamless look. I think he makes a really good point, but darn it, I was looking forward to the colored grout.

Would love your feedback!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022