Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwillie_gw

Metallicus Granite ?

sweetwillie
15 years ago

Has anyone heard of Metallicus granite ? We saw it at the slab yard and we think it might be the "one"

Any help would be appreciated

Comments (9)

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

I put in a search at both The Rock Blog and findstone.com. Both sites came up never having heard of this name.

My guess is it's a made up name which a lot of stone yards do so you can't compare their stone for pricing. that's so annoying!

go to findstone.com and read about the lemon test. Not all stones called granite are actually granite. Doesn't mean that they're not great stones but they all have different properties when it comes to heat, staining etc. I put the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: lemon test

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Don't know anything about it, but just wanted to point out it's "metalicus" with one L, which is why you couldn't find it, buddyrose.

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

Yes, I have heard of this stone.
    I LOVE this granite. My DH calls it Spartacus. His little
    joke. It would not have looked nice in our kitchen
    but our good friends have it on their island. It looks
    awesome. I assume we are talking about the same kind
    of rock.

The one I fell in love with at the BGE has more movement
    then the color I posted. It was amazing but too much
    silver, gold and black for the look we wanted.
    My husband was not ready to go that crazy with movement
    on our counter. But he still talks about "Spartacus".

I believe but could be way off that it is a rare stone.
    The price we heard for this was twice what we could
    afford per sq foot. And because we wanted seams to match
    we would have had to order more slabs to really make
    it look beautiful.

The Boston Granite Echange calls it Metlicus (this is the
    spelling)
    http://www.bostongraniteexchange.com/

Slabmarket has is listed as Metalicus Magma Bordeaux

And PicasWeb spells it Metalicus
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/h7mihMvZx6rVJPctRJVsFg

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

hi writersblock. no, I did search both spellings. those two web sites just don't have it in their records. at least not spelled Metalicus or Metallicus. I even checked Metlicus. I tried to find it. oh well.

I'm glad you guys knew the stone.

• jb1176
    15 years ago

I thought I had read something about a stone like this over on the Stoneadvice.com site. I found something like what you describe as Metalicus, but they called is Asterix and the key words to put in on the ''search'' function under ''ask the experts'' are ''flakey material''. Evidently this metallic looking stone is filled with densely packed mica (which gives the metallic appearance) and is a fabricators nightmare because the mica flakes off alot during fabrication requiring lots of patching. One fabricator indicated the stone scratches very easily - even with a thumbnail. Ask your fabricator if he has had experience with Metalicus before you order it up. Your fabrication costs may be higher than normal because of the difficulty in fabricating this flakey material.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

>. those two web sites just don't have it in their records

Interesting, buddyrose. When I was looking a general google on "metallicus" came up empty but I found a ton of sites with "metalicus." After looking at a couple of photos I had decided it wasn't for me, so I didn't really read on to find out about its qualities.

• sweetwillie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Boxerpups...yes that is the one. The pictures really dont do it justice. As you've seen its really amazing in person.

We are a little nervous. Four 6 months or more we thought we had it narrowed down to 2 stones but once we saw how beautiful the cabinets and flooring and everything came together we decided what the heck. We have rose cherry cabinets with LOTS of windows and lighting. It is expensive and I hope I wont regret it. We have agonized over every decision but after seeing the results we are batting a thousand so far. Except today the cement truck drove through my septic field. OOPS

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

Sweetwillie,

Your kitchen sounds wonderful.
    Metallicus, (Or however it is spelled)
    will look super with the cabinets.
    I agree photos do not do this rock justice. It is
    am amazingly beautiful and unique stone. Our friends
    have never had an issue with any flakying or
    peices falling off. I am sure yours will be fine too.

So sorry about your septic.

Best of luck and post pics of your kitchen
    when it all comes together.
    ~boxerpups

• Crystal Dominguez
    3 years ago

Any update on your counters ? Did you choose metalicus? I’m looking into them as they just popped up at a local shop. If you did I’d love to hear your experience. I read it could have oxidation issues ? Have you had any issues with it ? Are they durable ? Do they etch ? Thanks !