Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjr220

Florida Joshua's job for the day

rjr220
13 years ago

was installing our soapstone. These aren't the best pictures -- will get more with better detail during the daytime, and when a weee little more progress is made on the kitchen -- but suffice to say, it was worth the year wait! It is really smooth, the veining is so cool, I keep finding unique little patterns. We all keep wandering into the kitchen and looking at it (yes, and feeling it)

Peninsula: looking from DR into kitchen

Stages 45 sink: can you find the seam? My son had to show me! We flattened out the "pass-thru" in back of the sink and enlarged the window -- now that the ss is installed we're really glad we did this.

And a close up of the veining by the sink -- this is only just one really gorgeous area of the stone -- and the seam runs right thru it.

We were concerned that the black counter would "close in" the kitchen, but it actually makes the kitchen looks larger and open. I'm anxious to get the other aspects finished now. Plumber tomorrow!

And thanks, Joshua, for leaving me the hutch to oil -- it's done and looks FABULOUS!

Comments (17)

• kmsparty
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I like your cabinets and flooring too. What kind of flooring is it?

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Looks great. What stone is it?

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Really looks beautiful. I'm going to guess santa Rita Venata?

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Beautiful!

• willowdecor
    13 years ago

Another beautiful job by a true master craftsman!! Joshua if you read this - call me!
    xx-Willow

• bireland
    13 years ago

Fabulous...bet it feels good, too. I can't keep my hands off mine. Nature and man at their best!

• rjr220
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Even if I must say so myself, it's even more beautimous this morning!

It's Black Venata soapstone, sooo lovely!

Kmsparty -- my floor -- it looks more purplish in this picture than IRL. Actually is blue, tan, burgandy -- it's Daltile Cobblestone that they've discontinued. We put it in 5 years ago when moved into the house and I still like it, so -- it stayed when the rest of the kitchen left!

• julie94062
    13 years ago

Oooooh, I have serious soapstone envy!!! So gorgeous.

• sis2two
    13 years ago

Your soapstone is beautiful! Isn't it exciting! Okay I have to ask since my soapstone looks like it may be the same type. What backsplash are you going to use? I need ideas. Thanks.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Beautiful soapstone! I had to put my reading glasses on to find that seam by your sink! LOL! Also love, love, love your cabinets. Do you mind sharing manufacturer and finish? I have reddish wood trim and have been trying to find cabs & finish to go with it. TIA!

• rjr220
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sis2two -- your kitchen is one that has inspired me along the way! I'm thinking of doing a modified version of this following BS, but I'm not quite sure if it "goes" with my kitchen. Pretty much here I've chosen what I liked, and I like this, but I don't know if it goes with the rest! I'm would use a quieter porcelain version of the marble, so as not to compete with the counter. I'm also considering not using the marble-like porcelain, but perhaps a 6 x 8 white subway, like what segbrown used, but still do the row of glass (sumi-e ongari natural).

Flowers -- the cabinets are custom birch with a "wild cherry" stain. The cabinet maker did a wonderful job. The insides are just as pretty as the outside! Thanks for the comment!

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

Love your counters. They look just simply edible, they are so yummy! Also your sink is just amazing. I think you will love it--if you don't, send it my way :)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

RJR--I actually think the backsplash you posted would look really good. Everything in your kitchen is neutrals and the contrast would come from the texture and movement....could be fun!

• sis2two
    13 years ago

That backsplash is really pretty! I have been leaning towards a subway in a creamy crackle color. I love subway tile and have always been drawn to it pretty much like I was drawn to soapstone. Your cabinets are really nice too and I love the rich color that they are. You must be really excited!

• marytwit
    13 years ago

Rita,

So exciting. It's beautiful and your cabinets are GORGEOUS.

Joshua's coming back to Gainesville in July to put MY Black Venata in as well.

So glad you and Holli happened to be on this board or I never would have thought of doing this.

Mary

• holligator
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness, Rita!!

I have been away from GW lately, and completely missed this! I had NO idea you were this far along. Now I want to see this beautiful new kitchen in person!!

• rjr220
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Holli -- I'll pm you -- in the final SLOW phase of finishing up. I've decided BS, but that won't be in until mid July.

I'm calling this my "if you give a mouse a cookie" kitchen. Those of you with kids no doubt know the analogy.