Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Help with deciding on a kitchen window for Counter Height

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

I want to do a counter height window so we are changing to a taller (4') window. I am concerned there may not be enough room if we don't do a bump out although this pic of gglks looks great... I don't know how deep the sink is. We're doing the 36" Kohler Whitehaven apron front.

Others do a bump out of 6-8"

erikahnh:

I don't want to do a bay b/c that's really more depth than I need and we're doing one in the dining area.

My other thought was a 10 degree bow. ***Would a bow and a bay be too much?***

Andersen has a 6' bow with 3 panels.

The depth of the middle section is 5 and 9/16" deep which may be just enough for some extra room. **Would this option end up less expensive than building a bumpout? I will talk to GC but like to gather info first.

Here is my current plan but there are some changes not shown that i'll explain below:

The window on the bottom left is the bay in the dining area and the one on the bottom right is the kitchen. Actually the present plan is that the kitchen window is now taller (4'). It consists of a 3' clear (no grilles) picture window with 1.5' casements (with colonial grilles) on either side. I thought have 6' of windows with grilles was too much. i wanted something more "clear" but since the other windows in the house have colonial grilles I can't change them much. The bay will also be clear in the middle with the windows on the side having grilles...

Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We bumped our window out...counter is 7" deeper behind the sink than the rest of the counter up to the window trim, and we are glad we did. This leaves room for plants which is what I wanted...southern facing window....and it keeps the window far enough away from washing activities so it's not perpetually splattered. The windows we installed are casements so we can reach the crank to open and shut the windows....no way would double hungs work in that application.

• kashmi
    11 years ago

Hi, 2Fishies. Thanks for the post in the other thread to lead folks here.

I do like the extra counter top space you would get for the full 6' if you build a bump out like Erikahnh's. Plus, if your second story overhangs the first, you would not need to build an extra roof for the bump out (or for a bow).

As to the cost question, you are right, you'll have to consult with your contractor. Since this is a new build (yes? no?), it may be less expensive to buy "off the rack" casement windows and construct a bump out.

The final issue is the "look and feel." Which do you prefer? It looks like Erikahnh's window section is about 8' long -- and that provides a nice expanse of view. Since you have 6' you might also have enough. Since we had just over 4' I really wanted to bow to give us the extra sight lines.

Ok, there is one final consideration: the view from outside. Looking at your elevation, IMHO a bow and the bay in the dining room would be just fine. Both are curved so that provides some symmetry. How do you think you'd like a box bump out with the bay window? If this is new construction, what if you went with box bump outs both in the kitchen and dining room -- especially is that approach was more cost effective?

Lots to think about. Let us know what you decide.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kashmi-
    No, it's not a new build. It's a 1950 Cape we are expanding.
    We wouldn't need an extra roof b/c we will already have one...

I want to leave the bay window seat as it is so am trying to find the right answer for the kitchen. I think the bump out (or the bay!) lol I'll talk to GC for more ideas.

Thanks so much!

• kashmi
    11 years ago

One last thought -- after reading Marcolo's comment about casement window cranks. We did have to shave a bit off the bottom of the handle/crank covers, but that's it. We ordered the "contemporary style" folding handle (see below).
    From GardenWeb Photos

Granite (if that's what you are using) takes the place of the seat board. Since we had 3 cm granite, it was only slightly thicker than the seat board would have been and fit right in. As a side note, it was nice to have the seat board so the granite fabricator could use it as a "perfect" template.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

If you like plants at the sink (herbs are great!) then I'd definitely do the bump out! I think it would compliment the bay, not compete with it...and the counter height window is a great idea :)

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I have a cape too and did a similiar addition. I decided on a bay over the kitchen sink and a bump out in the dining area with 3 separate windows. Are you still thinking about the arch top?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dilly- you mean the window itself? If so no arch window. I'm also deciding if I should put a wood valance or just leave it with nothing and just do window treatment.