Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coastal_modern_love

carrara subway splash with something special over cooktop

I would love some ideas of what I could do on the backsplash wall over my cooktop. Open to all suggestions! I have carrara subway 2x4's going up but want a focal point under the hood. Whites, grays or little color (pale aqua tones only). Again, for those of you who haven't seen my pic's all over here, it is a beachy cottage look, whites, weathered woodtones and seaglass colors. The hood has since been lowered a bit. boxerpups- i'm loving all the pics you post here...any good ones for me?

This is what you see when you walk in the house...

live:

mockup:

Comments (35)

• sumnerfan
    12 years ago

I can't wait to see what is suggested. I'm sort of in the same place. I want a simple backsplash with a focal point behind the range. I love both your kitchens and am sure whatever you do will be bea-U-tiful. Bon chance!

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Merci, sumnerfan! I can not find what I think I want in my head, but I know these guys here will pull through for me!

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

any other thoughts? ;)

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

A designer at one of my local tile shops gave me a sample of linear mosaic glass and carrera marble tile. It's a mixture of clear and pale blue-green tile and carrera. Your description of your inspiration colors really reminded me of that. I think something like that (or maybe even square mosaics - though I'm partial to the linear/brick pattern) would be really lovely. You could surround the tile with a border of the blue-green glass. I'm sorry I do not have the brand, but maybe I can check for it when I get home if you're interested.

• Carl Norum
    12 years ago

Howdy,

We're in the finishing stages of our remodel, and I'm pretty happy with our backsplash. No finished photo, I'm afraid, but I've attached a link to a picture of the work in progress. It's definitely whites and greys, though our marble isn't a normal subway tile pattern.

Let me know what you think!

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash design

• chris11895
    12 years ago

Hmmm, I need to brainstorm a little more but one quick thought would be doing hex tiles in ming green like below for the area over the cooktop? Or, is that wall in yet? A recessed spice shelf with something like that as the back of it and subway all around it? Examples of the recessed spice shelf are in this thread: This threadhref>? Note, I'm going on looks - not function :-) If the wall is open you could even put a nice pot filler in it and that would become the focal point.

• chris11895
    12 years ago

duh, your wall is in. I'm having one of those days! Not sure if you could still carve out a spice shelf, I think that's a great way to add a detail to the backsplash. I'll keep looking for more pics of tile.

• muskokascp
    12 years ago

Coastal,
    Didn't you just post a finished kitchen last week that was a modern kitchen?

• domesticah
    12 years ago

Hi there, If I were doing carrara countertops, I would love to pair it in some way with a white on white marble basketweave backsplash over the stove... here is one in black and white, but I've seen it white on white and it looks spectacular when it is framed in and surrounded by white marble subway tile. I hope I have connected correctly. : )

Here is a link that might be useful: basketweave backsplash

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I like the idea of a really soft aqua glass. I also like the ming green pictured but wonder if the texture/appearance would be too similar to the carrara. This is the only pic I could find for now:

{{!gwi}}

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for taking the time!

Chris- I am so wanting the arched top recessed area now that was shown in that thread. I need to look at some more. Not easy to go from modern to traditional! And it is NOT too late in my opinion to change the wall either. Let's just see what GC says...well of course he'll do it-more labor hours to clock! I think you mentioned somewhere before you are building in CC. Me too! We bought this place 4 years ago as an updated 1988 gambrel. Everything inside was newly updated by the seller. The winter before last we had a pipe freeze/burst and run hot water for 2 weeks before we came down to see it. Needless to say the whole house had to be gutted and we started over from the studs. It was horrible, but now I am having so much fun with it! Our builder is great and the experience has been a breeze. If only I can get these details finalized!

Remodelfla- I love the look of the glass, as you know from my full time home kitchen! And we recently put this type in a commercial retail space I built-out, so kind of looking for something more cottagy to change things up.

Muskokascp- yes I did just post a finished kitchen. That was done a couple of years ago (full time house) but just started posting pics here recently, and am now renovating this place (our summer house).

• chris11895
    12 years ago

No way! We actually are building on the North Shore but spend our summers (and literally all school vacation weeks) in Osterville and reno'd the kitchen down there last year. Now we're redoing the family room. Nothing like a bunch of reno and new construction projects to keep your head spinning!
    That stinks about the flood - you're not the first person I've heard of that happening to. We're thinking about putting in one of those remote home monitoring systems because of we've gone down before and found our heat was out but it was not in the dead of winter. And I looooove your modern kitchen, by the way!

Now - back to the backsplash :-) you could also use the same (or smaller) carerra tile and just do a herringbone or other pattern with it in a recessed shelf if you don't really want to add in color. I love those recessed shelves and wish we had done it down there so I'm definitely doing it up here! I'll keep looking at pics for you :-)

• corrie22
    12 years ago

coastal, have you looked on Etsy at any of the hand made sea shell and marine life tiles? They have some beautiful 3 dimensional tiles over there.
    Corrie

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chris- we are neighbors on both shores!!! Small world.

Corrie- no I haven't seen any on Etsy yet, but will take a look, thanks!

I saw a pic somewhere (had to be one of boxerpup's famous pics) of a moroccan style carrara tile mosaic. The only way to describe it is circles with pointed tops and bottoms(??). I know there is a name for this but it has slipped my thoughts. Anyway I am off to look at her many many pics.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Is it too far down the road to make a niche? That way you can make a display of whatever you put in there ... oils or bottles or utensils or whatever. It is simple, utilitarian, and flexible.

Melissastar did it in her kitchen.

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry to keep re-posting. This really is beautiful! How bout something like this with a border around it...

Reminds me of little crabs somehow! Maybe I am getting cross-eyed at this late hour.

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The shape style I saw is called arabesque.
    I love the above but won't go with my turquoise :(

• chris11895
    12 years ago

I like that last one, I think it would go with turquoise too. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but are you on the Cape now or going down anytime soon? If so, go to Trees Place - they have the *best* tile and sifting through it there will probably be better than finding anything on-line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trees Place

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, I am home. I checked out Tree's website and I am going to try to make time for an Orleans visit on Monday. Thanks for that, it looks like they carry srtisan tiles as well. I'm sure I'll see something I like there! But you are right, I held up the sample above to my wall here and it looks fine!

• chris11895
    12 years ago

Rachel at Nest Egg highlighted three Dream Tileshref> from House Beautiful which I drooled over for a while and would look lovely over a stove. I believe Trees carries all three of them and other variations from the line. The only stores I've ever been in with a better tile selection are in the design center.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dream Tile

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I love those! My next move was to go over to Ann Sacks at Design Center, but looks like I will definitely find something at Tree's.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Hi Coastal! You've probably seen this, but thought I'd post it anyway :)

{{!gwi}}

And a close up

{{!gwi}}

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LL- that is really beautiful. Is it glass? It is the color of my ceilings! And by the way, working on your request over on "the other side". Just sifting through my old pics and uploading to photobucket. Tomorrow night's project...stay tuned it will be long!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Visit Tile Showcase in Watertown. It's where I overspent by a factor of five. Gorgeous stuff, though.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Oh good! I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures :)

Here's the link and it's the sixth picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Living

• momqs
    12 years ago

Our carrara backsplash isn't subway tile, but it's close. We have glass "bubbles" from AKDO and I think they would look lovely at the beach.

My contractor didn't install them properly so you can see the sheeting but you don't HAVE to see the sheeting.

Have fun!

• marsee
    12 years ago

momsq- Would you mind telling me how high are your kitchen ceilings??

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for OP!

• annettacm
    12 years ago

Florida Tile has glass/stone and glass/marble mosaics that are very nice. The pics I'm showing are the Random Length, but the same colors/tiles are available in a 5/8 x 5/8 mosaic. This has the marble mixed in with the bluish or grayish glass.

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

momqs- I have seen your kitchen here. Beautiful, and I love your stacked backsplash and the bubbles! We put similar bubbles on our shower floor so don't want to be too repetitive. Thanks again for the pics.

• annettacm
    12 years ago

Meant to include the link to Florida Tile. The first pic is Bliss in Waterfall, the second pic is Bliss in Iceland.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Tile Bliss

• annettacm
    12 years ago

Original Style also has some great beachy colors. Linking you to one page, but search the site for tumbled glass and others...

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Style Tile

• momqs
    12 years ago

@marsee - We have 9ft high ceilings.

@coastal - thanks! I know you find something beautiful and can't wait to see when you do!

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

marcolo- I have passed by this store in Natick so many times and it never dawned on me to check it for any of my projects! Thanks for the reminder!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love annetacm's choices and think your "crabby" mosaic is gorgeous!
    My first thought was glass in some way, shape or form. It has a light breezy look that says beachy to me.

• coastal_modern_love
    Original Author
    12 years ago

chris11895 - A BIG THANK YOU!!! I was down CC today and went to Tree's. I have found my future tile place. What an amazing selection. I am so undecided but have some favorites in the Ravenna line. I only wish I had known about this place sooner! I found some wall tile that I would have SO loved to be in my shower! Well, the next reno is back home bathrooms, so I will definitely go back! Thanks for the tip and I will post pics as soon as I'm done! I'm dealing with so many problems with the finish work and getting down there to approve everything, and have found a couple of "don't use contractors" if you'd like the head's up!