Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Silestone question

chloenkitty
9 years ago

My fav countertop in a kitchen is marble, however, since everyone says how it stains, scratched, etc., I am sadly steering away from the dream :( in trying to find something that looks similar to get a clean white look, I have looked at silestone recently. Now where I live I believe it's carried by Home Depot and lowes, so I highly doubt you are able to look at and pick slabs. That being said, how do you know what it will look like? Also, my island will be 4x8 and I do not like seems. Will the island be able to be seemless and the countertops as well? Thank you

Comments (8)

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Home Depot sells quartz products like Silestone, but they do not actually "carry" it. Your order is passed on the a local fabricator who acquires the product from the manufacturer, apparently accessing special Home Depot pricing in the process. Recently some others posted how they visited the fabricator's site and viewed the specific sheets of product before it was cut and customized for their kitchen. You would just ask the local Home Depot who, in your town, does their quartz counters and then you can visit.

All this being said, quartz is a manufactured product that comes as sheet goods from a factory. While there is apparently can be variation between different sheets, it is not like a stone mined from the earth that is naturally and inherently unique.

I think the other product you should look at is Corian. It is the only product that can be seamless--there will be seams with Silestone. Corian Rain Cloud looks a lot like Carrera Marble but is much more durable and easy to live with. Corian Witch Hazel and others also look nice for the look you seem to be going for.

• bluestarrgallery
    9 years ago

I had silestone in my last kitchen and it scratched terribly

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

chloenkitty:

Like most engineered stones, Silestone is manufactured in 54" x 120" sheets, so yes, a 48" x 96" island can be seamless.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Treb: but not the surrounding counters, right?

....unless it's a galley...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

ChrisInSD:

That depends on your layout and budget. Post a floor plan and I'll let you know how I'd do it.

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I imagine with the countertops being broken up for range, refrigerator etc, they would all be one piece. I don't have the blueprint layout, but it's pretty much the kitchen in the photo. Thank you

• Happyladi
    9 years ago

I've had Silestone since 2002 and it has never scratched! Nor does it stain. But it does chip, I have a few spots where it has chipped. You can only see it from an angle. For a 12 year old countertop it still looks good.

• kompy
    9 years ago

Springville...are you sure it was Silestone? It would be very difficult to scratch a quartz product. Maybe what you had was Swanstone? Anyway, I have had Silestone Lagoon (a marble look-a-like)n my kitchen for over a year now and not one scratch.

I did a 46" long vanity top in a bathroom remodel just prior to the kitchen and loved it so much, i had to have it for the new kitchen too.
    Viatera just came out with some new marble look-a-likes that are very nice as well.

To get a better idea of the quartz colors, google image the name and search for them on Houzz.com

I have had interior designers in my home and both of them thought for sure it was real marble! I almost went with real marble but decided at the last minute to go with Lagoon. I'm so glad I made the choice of quartz! It's the easiest top I've ever had....and most gorgeous too!

Here's my kitchen with Silestone Lagoon.
    KOMPY