Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning 3D backsplash tile

Posted by Marisa99 (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 22:46

I'm going in about 10 different directions regarding our backsplash. I got a sample of this 3D effect marble tile and I kind of like it. It gets installed without grout!
I'm worried about cleaning it though... does anyone have something similar and can give some insight on upkeep?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning 3D backsplash tile

You don't clean it really. I mean, you sorta clean at it, but you never get those spaghetti sauce spatters out of the crevices. And any tile that doesn't get filled with grout, gets filled with dirt and yuck. Grout is used with tile for a reason, and it has nothing to do with decor. It's functional. And going without it is a very very bad idea. As is that tile in a kitchen. Or bath. And that doesn't leave too many locations where it would be appropriate.

o
RE: Cleaning 3D backsplash tile

Hmmm, nope, not really a chance I would want to use that for a backsplash - if you cook at all, you'll be at it with a toothbrush all the time trying to get it clean and it will never really get there. You are so very right to be concerned about cleaning it.

In our early parts of planning, I had someone at a design place show me a dimensional tile like that and he was so pleased, saying how wonderful it would look in kitchens. I stopped him dead when I asked if he included a cleaning service for the life of the kitchen because that's what it would require for me to put something in my kitchen was was so cleaning-unfriendly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here