Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vwhippiechick

Hippiechick's DIY kitchen- ''Are they ever really finished?''

vwhippiechick
15 years ago

I have resisted posting "finished" pix as we are still planning some modifications to the cabinets. But I wanted all the posters who have helped me so very much to see the final product before they have drifted away. Thanks to all who answered my questions and gave opinions on my selections - everyone was so supportive and helpful.

Here is the lowdown on the materials:

Mouser Custom Cabinetry - Creme Distressed with Square Inset Coventry doors and Knotty Alder with Russett stain Square Inset Amity Doors

Paint - Cafe by Devine (THE most difficult choice)

Electrolux Icon 36" Dual Fuel Range (lovelovelove it!)

Electrolux Icon 36" Vent Hood

Tapmaster - toekick activation (the best recommendation by GW'ers)

Samsung French Door Refrigerator

Asko Prostyle (whatever that means) dishwasher

Danze Parma Prerinse stainless steel faucet (aesthetic is so-so but function is exceptional)

Danze Parma SS soap/lotion dispenser

Travertine Floors (running bond pattern) "Premium Noce" 18"x18" from Lowe's (killer deal on these)

Soapstone Counters - Amazon prefab'd by Maine Soapstone (great company-did exactly what they said they would)

Ticor single bowl sink (another great recommendation from this forum)

Stainless Steel Quilted backsplash - Ebay vendor -Rigidized Metals (great customer service)

Lisbon Linen - curtain fabric

Berenson Hardware - cup pulls and knobs

From the old kitchen:

Chandelier from Lowe's

Freestanding island with butcherblock top from local furniture store

Vintage Hoosier Kitchen cabinet - wedding gift from grandmother

We are still planning some modifications to make the alder cabinets look more furniture like. We will put an alder paneled backsplash with custom corbels and panel the dishwasher with alder. We are also discussing a backsplash under the painted cabinets on either side of the vent hood - possibly cream colored subway tiles??

The decorating touches seem to stump me. We need pictures etc to pull it all together and give it that really complete look. Any suggestions are welcome!!

BEFORE - The old kitchen- that pink was not easy to live with but eventually you sort of get desensitized to it. ;-)

DURING

AFTER

href="http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/vwhippiechick/?action=view¤t=DSC04336.jpg"; target="_blank">

This is the area where we plan to use the paneled backsplash, corbels and integrate the dishwasher with an alder panel.

We are really enjoying the changes. Thanks again to everyone!

Comments (42)

• antiquesilver
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Fabulous - simply fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!

• rgillman
    15 years ago

What a transformation! You deserve the DIY award of the year - it's beautiful.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

absolutely stunning. I think the transition from your dining room into the kitchen is perfect. i love the fabric on your kitchen curtains.

very very nice!

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Um.. HELLLOOOO, is this the same house??!!

WoW! You must be so proud that you did such an incredible job and you did it yourselves. Super impressive. and as an aside, I love your plants and flower arrangements:)

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Beautiful after kitchen! I am continually amazed by the DIY talents on this forum! Is is my imagination or does the alder cabinetry match your DR table perfectly?

I just don't understand why you didn't want to keep the pink...you could have gotten such a great corporate sponsorship :)

• ne_flyingdiver
    15 years ago

Yeah - great job.
    I'm excited to see someone w/ the Danze faucet. I have the same one in the box waiting for install. Boy it is BIG! Do you like it?
    And I'm glad to see your Adler cabinets. We have adler for window trim work to be done. We purchased an in progress house (abandoned new construction). I have been looking for pictures of adler and there aren't many! I like the stain - it's a nice medium.
    Robin

• morton5
    15 years ago

It's truly wonderful and you should be very proud! Thanks for all the details. I like the aesthetic of the faucet, but is it hard to keep clean with all those coils?

• lily1342
    15 years ago

Loved seeing your kitchen again as it's one of my all-time favorites. Even tho the paint color was your most difficult choice, I have to say you got it so just right. I always did think the browns like khaki/caramel/camel/cafe au lait look so good mixed with black and white. I really like your style of furniture feet on the base cabs and have seriously considered re-doing mine like that. So I'm asking myself too, if I'm ever really finished!

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

I think you have created a beautiful, classic space. Love the 2 rooms together. The green is beautiful. Also, love the 2 different finishes on cabs, the backsplash, everything.
    Enjoy!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Great job! Everything is gorgeous. Love the 2nd cabinet color over by the dw. I'm betting you don't miss that pink...

• gardenburgher
    15 years ago

I love your colors. It all looks beautiful together!

• holligator
    15 years ago

Yours is one of my favorite kitchens. There are so many choices I would have been happy with in my own kitchen (and several that are the same ones I made and am thrilled with). The transformation is fabulous. I, too, happily left behind a pink kitchen, although mine was just the wallpaper. I'm still blown away that it was DIY.

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Stunning! The view from the dining room is so lovely...the paint color in the DR is fantastic, and the way that picture is framed by your table, the flowers, that grandfather clock, and the arch is magazine-worthy.

Love those sunny corner windows!

• positano
    15 years ago

Did you special order the tiles from Lowes or were they a special deal they had on the floor. I tried to find them and they didn't have them. Any more info would be great! How is travertine to keep clean?

Thank!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I was so excited when I saw your post. I love your kitchen and wanted to see it "finished." It is unbelievable. What a beautiful job you did. When I see the before and then the after, my first words were, "WOW." Great job!

I too have the same faucet as you currently sitting in a box in my bedroom. It will be at least another month before it gets installed.

Congrats on all your hard work. It is so worth it. You should be very proud of yourselves. You did a wonderful job. Kitchen is stunning (as is the rest of the house from what little I can see from the dining room!)

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

Beautiful! It's really stunning. And your dining room is to die for too!

Congratulations on a job beautifully done!

• blackeyedpeas
    15 years ago

I love everything about your kitchen and dining room, it is all lovely and worthy of showing off. There are so many gorgeous details in both the rooms, I love your chandy over the sink and I covet your dining table. I know I'm not supposed to covet but I can't help myself, where did you find that table??
    Congratulations on a job well done!

• berryberry
    15 years ago

Very nice Job. Although too bad you didn't keep that pink counter - I could have sent you a nice pink fan to match it :)

Seriously, amazing transformation - congrats

• User
    15 years ago

What a glorious kitchen! Love the light and the feel of the room. And it blends so well with the rest of your house. Congratulations on a job well done.

Join me for a martini?

Dianne

• tracyc
    15 years ago

Wow. I am generally a fan of contemporary kitchens but I think your kitchen is a stunning combination of just enough detail with clean lines and a great color palette. Really inspiring, especially considering the DIY aspect (I DIYed too, but opted out of installing the cabinets).

Job well done - check :)

Tracy

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Just a beautiful, beautiful job. I love the 2 cabinet finishes and the freestanding island. I think the island might be my favorite feature. It all just works SOOOO well together and it goes to show that you can mix more than 2 finishes and have it all come together. Congratulations!!!!!

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Wonderful! I especially love those white base cabinets with feet! Just curious, are those PINK flowers in memory of that lovely pink countertop you used to have? heh heh That island is beyond words!
    You've done a bang-up job here, hippiechick... you should be very proud.
    ---Boxie

• sduck2
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is so me!!! I absolutely love it. I wish I did the inset cabinets. I did do the soapstone and the different cabinets finishes, and have the farmers table and the wicker chairs...but I want your sunshine and corner window, and inset cabinets, stove, and island. My butcher block island was in my previous kitchen and way too small but now I'm going to check around a couple of local furniture stores. Thanks for the info and pics.

• muscat
    15 years ago

Really, really nice! Amazing change! Love it!!!!

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

Beautiful! You have a fabulous sense of color and style! You give great hope for all those 80's oak kitchens yet!

I love "are they ever really done?" We've been 95% for about 3 weeks and nothing more is happening....hopefully soon!

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous space with all us TKO's!

• lewbloom
    15 years ago

love it!

• mary_in_nc
    15 years ago

Whippiechick,

Your kitchen has so many unique elements that work sooo well together! I just love looking at it. Your soapstone is particularly beautiful. I'm so impressed that this is a DIY. Congratulations!

Mary

• amck2
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for posting pictures of your finished kitchen. I was regular during a lot of your remodel, and am so happy to see the results.

Really, really nice job. None of the elements outshines the others. It works in perfect harmony with your dining area too - so glad you included that perspective.

I am still sans backsplash and am tempted by your stainless over the range...

Congratulations on such a wonderful space!

• maydl
    15 years ago

It's so lovely! Brand new, yet perfectly at home. Does it still take your breath away to enter the space? It would for me.

• vwhippiechick
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for all the nice feedback. You continue to be a wonderful source of encouragement.

Robin - Love the Danze faucet. This was my husbands choice. I probably would have selected something like a bridge faucet but he asked for so little in the remodel. Now I am really glad we went with this one. It is so functional. I can use it as a pot filler by placing my pots on the counter next to the sink and filling them up, so no lifting out of the deep sink. I think you will really like it once you adjust to the size of it.
    Morton5 - the faucet is not hard to keep clean because we have the Tapmaster so we rarely have to handle the controls or the coils.

Positano - The travertine tiles were special order. The gave us a price for the total amount we needed but when it came in they had miscalculated and we only had half of what we required. After some discussion with the manager they agreed to order the rest without additional charge as we had already delayed our timeline due to slow shipping time. The last time I was at Lowe's here they were still carrying it?? The info I gave above is all I know about it. It is wonderful to keep clean and doesn't show dirt or dog hair at all (not that we have either ;-))

Blackeyedpeas - We purchased the table from a local antiques store. They actually fabricated it from reused wood. It is indestructible, as the more we bang it up, the better it looks!

Berryberry - don't you dare!! :-P

Tracyac - I have mentioned in a couple of other threads, we also opted out of installing the cabinets. The cabinet company gave us such a good price on the installation and the moldings were a little out of our skill level so we decided to let the pros handle it. I am really glad we did because I watched the whole process over 3 or so days and there is no way we could have matched their craftmanship. That was the only thing we "hired" out. It was well worth the money.

Boxiebabe - I have no wish to remember the pink counters :-)

It is still strange to walk into the space. I love the way it looks but still see many things that need tweaking. I think I am most astounded by the fact that it functions so well, even better than I planned.

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

From another DIYer, who never seems to finish anything, WOW, you not only created a beautiful kitchen, but you actually did it yourselves and (have almost) finished it. It looks very professional, and it ties in beautifully with the dining room. You must be thrilled!! What a feeling of accomplishment!

I love your floors, they are pretty similar to the ones I'm looking at.

Enjoy!

• starpooh
    15 years ago

Hi Hippiechick ~ Are you ready for the FKB? We can add it now and update the photos later. If so could you please submit the Category Checklist? Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• redroze
    15 years ago

I have NEVER been tired of seeing your kitchen. I think it will go down in history as being one of the most beautiful and memorable kitchens in GardenWeb history.

It is so stunning and I love the blue on the walls on the curved entry to your kitchen. I think you have a great eye for paint colours, given your kitchen colour as well that is "de-vine"!

Thanks for sharing and enjoy your wonderful kitchen.

• cll2008
    15 years ago

I just wanna keep looking and looking and looking. Your kitchen is just beautiful; I love everything about it. Congrats on a wonderful job.
    Crystal

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Congratulations!!!
    It is truly a warm and inviting kitchen, enjoy!

• remodelqueen
    15 years ago

Your kitchen really is beautiful. Love the valance fabric. I love the green you used in your DR. I wouldn't be daring enough to choose a dark tone- but it is stunning. ;)

As for the decorating, I don't think your kitchen needs much. Maybe something that is iron on the wall near the door (I like all of the iron decor out now, because you still see the paint on the wall through it)-possibly even a candle sconce. And for some reason, I can totally picture a special phrase written in white above your windows. Sorry if neither of these ideas suit your needs, or appeal to you at all, but that is what came to mind when seeing your pictures. If you didn't add anything at all, it would still be perfect!

• kulagal
    15 years ago

Hippiechick: one talented chick! I love how you coordinated all the colors - beautiful! Would you pls tell me what color you used in your dining room? I love that green! Job well done!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Hippiechick,

What an amazing transformation. Talk about a kitchen that was changed! I love it all. You tied several different styles and pieces together to make one seamless look. Yours is a bookmarked kitchen for me!

• vwhippiechick
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Starpooh. I completed the checklist. Is there anything else I should do?

• vwhippiechick
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kulagal

The dining room color is Organic Green in Ralph Lauren. It really is a nice soft medium toned green. It is not a Kleenex green (pastel) ;-) We redecorated the dining room a couple of years ago so we wanted to try to coordinate the kitchen colors. The Cafe in the kitchen actually enhanced the green, gave it more depth I think. HTH

• kulagal
    15 years ago

Hippiechick - thank you so much for the paint info! Both your choices are just perfect!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Be still my heart!! Wow.

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company