Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
11 foot Granite slab?

Posted by buildinva (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 22:41

Our island is 132" x 44". Do slabs come that long? How rare is that? I am really hoping we can do it without a seam. Getting it through the door is not a problem. Thanks very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 11 foot Granite slab?

There are very few granites, and mostly plain ones, that can come that long. The slab might physically fit through your door, but you will need about 6 guys to carry it. Don't be afraid of a seam. Make it a feature by buying something with a little movement and bookmatching it.

o

Our slabs for colonial dream were larger than the average and they were 127" x 75". They may recommend a seam for transport issues as well, ie. can they round the corners in your home to get to the kitchen with a piece that long?

Good luck!

o

Hollysprings is right. It took 6 people to carry the slab in. The slab was 133x76 and my island is 120x72. Be patient. They are out there. But it took my fabricator months to find it.

photo file_zps4a86ab5a.jpg

o

My Kashmir gold was that long and it took 2 guys and a dolly to bring it in. They slid it from the top of the dolly onto the cabinets. After they were gone, I noticed their dolly, under the weight of that slab, dented my threshold. I didn't even think about the weight of it when they were rolling it across my deck. Thank heavens dh built a strong deck.

o

It is possible to find slabs that long but it may be a challenge. We have done several islands larger that that.

o

marti, that's probably why the guys carried ours all the way from the truck to the island. They had pieces of wood on the sidewalk to put it down on to rest.

I have Super White, it is over 10' long. I believe I could have gone longer, but I didn't want it any bigger. I believe the guys still talk about this particular delivery...

o

I have seen some absolutely stunning book matched slabs, I wouldn't rule that out.

o

fleevy, what is your kitchen layout with that shape island? I am considering an island that shape but I'm not sure how it would work in my open layout. Do you have a pic please?

ty!

o

JMO, but I would definitely consider the possibility of bookmatching slabs rather than being limited to trying to find a slab that is that large. Beagle's has a gorgeous bookmatched slab that there are pictures of on here.

As others have mentioned, it's not JUST finding a slab that size, you have to be certain to deal with the logistics of it as well.

o

illinigirl here you go....

photo file-1.jpg

photo file.jpg

photo file-2.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here