Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jewels2013_gw

I hate my fridge placement (small kitchen)

Jewels2013
9 years ago

Trying to figure out how to best to move things around in my small kitchen.

Right now you have to squeeze past the fridge to get to the outside door. It's also right by the stove, so I feel like I have no space when I'm cooking.

I'll move the stove if I have to but the good thing where it is now is that it vents to the outside there.

I'm also debating taking out the peninsula. I don't want to take over TOO much of the eating area tho, because that is the only dining area in the house.

or maybe just move the peninsula down a bit and narrow it, to build a built in half booth. Some people here gave me some great info and pics on those earlier :)

Anyway, if anyone has any general layout tips or advice on if/where I can move anything, I would appreciate it.
{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by Jewels2013 on Fri, May 2, 14 at 23:01

Comments (5)

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Was there a picture or a link? I don't see either.

• herbflavor
    9 years ago

I'd probably think about an L plan and skip peninsula or island or anything in the middle of the floor...the long wall of the L can extend to fairly close to the patio door and in the eating area at that end I'd look for just the right drop leaf pedestal table so the traffic to the patio door can be accomodated. The fridge can go between the two windows once the bulkhead and peninsula is out. Invest in the liebherr fridge and furniture grade cabinets because it will be very open. The fridge could go where the stove and vent is, and place stove with hood on wall area between two windows-I don't think that change would be costly because it's an outside wall and easy to vent straight. A few more details would help-what is the sq footage of the home overall, what is your budget, how many feet across the room. and how long is the outside wall with windows?

• Jewels2013
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, thank you two for your responses. I do not know why the picture did not show up, it did in the preview. I'm trying again with this post to attach it. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the picture bigger, since the measurements are hard to read. The top wall is 13'4", the side wall is 16'6" and the current counter ends at 7'2"

• crl_
    9 years ago

I'm not that great at layout, but what about getting rid of the pennisula, moving the refrigerator to the right of the window in place of the pennisula, then turning the dining table to run the other direction? I don't think you lose all that much cabinet or counter space as you can put a cabinet in place of the refrigerator by the door. And I never find corners all that useful anyway. Depending on the window height and the exacte dimensions of the space, you might be able to squeeze a small cabinet or bookshelves into the dining area as well?

I'd go with a small counter depth refrigerator in that space. LG has a 10 cubic foot model I have used in a previous tiny kitchen and was quite happy with it. You can find it, along with reviews, on the AJ Madison website.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

How big is your family? Do you already have a table and chairs in that space? Is it proportionally correct?

I think crl is on the right track, with moving the fridge to the right of the sink. It gives you more work space beside the stove and re-orients your work flow. The DW can go to the right of the sink, then the fridge. Cabinets beside the stove will more than make up for losing the rest of the storage in the peninsula. If you have a table there can it be flipped 90 degrees if the peninsula is gone?