Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
court1000

Backsplash Ideas please

court1000
9 years ago

We just got our yellow river granite installed, along with Blanco cafe brown sink, and Delta Cassidy faucet. I love it all! But now it's time for a backsplash. I was thinking something very simple, as not to compete with granite. Maybe subway tile (but what color?) or clear/plain glass tile, I also saw a carrera marble tile I liked.
Please give me suggestions! I've gone a few places but haven't gotten any samples yet. FYI - appliances will all be changed to SS soon.

Comments (14)

• romy718
    9 years ago

Your granite & cabinets are lovely. Something simple in a subway would be perfect. You don't want a pattern (Carrera). Go get samples of solid color ceramic or glass tiles that blend with your backsplash. Check out your local tile stores plus the multiple online tile companies that send free or inexpensive samples. Don't rush your decision. There are so many options/choices. Your perfect tile is out there.

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

I also have yellow river granite. I used a cream colored crackle tile handmade Italy. It is Senio tile.

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

In the previous photo my granite looks really gold/orange, but it is similar to yours. I am not sure why the IPad changed the color so here is another picture.

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

In the previous photo my granite looks really gold/orange, but it is similar to yours. I am not sure why the IPad changed the color so here is another picture.

{{!gwi}}

• crl_
    9 years ago

I agree something simple. Fireclay will send you five samples for free. Maybe something like Milky Way?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireclay tile colors

• plumberry
    9 years ago

like crl fireclay link - Milky Way looks good. not sure about your current paint color with it - in some pictures it looks like it would blend but one photo paint looks more yellow.

• court1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Michellemarie, thanks for sharing the pics of your kitchen. It's beautiful, and your backsplash is along the lines of what I was thinking for mine. Did you use a slightly darker color for your grout or is it the same color as your tile?

I did look at some fireclay colors yesterday and I might order some samples if I can't find anything locally. My paint color is SW Wool Skein - def changes color depending on the light - cream/gray/green/yellow.
    Thanks for all the recommendations! I'm going to a few more stores tomorrow (although now that school's out I have to drag my kids with me :( )

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Court - beautiful kitchen so far! Can't wait to see your BS decision.
    Here is a picture of ours - we used Grazia Rixi Crema crackle tile

• court1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay! I got my fireclay samples. Shown below are Tusk, Milky Way, and Tender Gray.
    I also got some cream and gray inexpensive subway tiles.
    I ordered a sample of glass tiles but they haven't come in yet. What do you all think? I have kind of ruled out Tusk because I think it's just too light and if I'm going to go that light I might as well just do the cheaper subways. Also, just to mention, the only fireclays that are in my budget are the $16.50/sqft ones. I would have loved some of their other colors...

Milky Way

Tender Gray

Cream and Gray subway tiles

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

Thank you. I love my new kitchen and I am so glad I found pretty slabs of Yellow River like you did. My grout seems to be pretty light. My husband installed the backsplash so I will ask him if he remembers what we used or if we still have the package. I know I bought the grout at The Tile Shop.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Maybe not too surprising, I like Milky Way best. ;). But colors are hard to see on screens so I would take that into account on people's opinions.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I don't see a cool undertone in the granite, so the whites and grays aren't working. I see a gold undertone in all the photos except the closeup, so I'd try a creamier beige. Tender Gray actually looks purple on my monitor.

• court1000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My favorite is Milky Way, too. I just wish I could see some photos of it installed. I might email Fireclay and see if they have any pics they can send me. If anyone knows of anyone that has this color, please let me know!

My granite def does look gold-ish. I would describe it as a more swirly version of new venetian gold.
    One more option I'm going to follow up on today is the Sonoma Star tiles I've heard people mention on this site. I'm going to call our local (1 hr away) store to ask about cost and samples.
    I was wondering if I could do a very light yellow? Or green?

• funkelsgw
    9 years ago

I believe a creamy subway is the way to go. We decided to try something a little different and go with different dimensions on our subway. We are very happy with the result. We went with 2" x 8" tiles by Sonoma at $19/sq. ft.