Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Is leathered granite a bad idea for kitchen counters?

threeapples
11 years ago

I'm thinking to do a dark color on the perimeter counters, a black granite or marble that is leathered, and a carrera on the island. The island will be stained and the perimeter cabinets and wooden hood will be painted some kind of white. I've not decided on a back splash, which is a whole other issue, and that likely will be dictated by the counters. Anyway, the slab salesman suggested leathering the tops of the perimeter counters to achieve an older look. The white will be honed. Any thoughts?

Comments (40)

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I'm not sure I'd use it in a kitchen because of the crevices and nooks, but I love the combination of honed marble and leathered granite (or marble). You may already have seen the post I made regarding the leathered antique brown granite I used in my bathroom with calacatta gold honed tile. I think the contrast works well.

I've posted the link below in the event you (or others) haven't seen it and are interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leathered Antique Brown Granite with Honed Calacatta Gold

• babs711
    11 years ago

We just had leathered absolute black laid down on the perimeter of our kitchen with white macaubus quartzite on the island. The AB also on our wet bar. Because of all the dust from the build, it's hard to tell if it's a good decision or a bad decision at this point. The dust has, of course, settled in the indentations. But I took a damp rag and swiped the counters and it all came up just fine. So I'm crossing my fingers that they won't be a maintenance nightmare. For some reason the kitchen has more texture than the wet bar.

The reason I chose this finish was because we had polished antique brown granite in our previous home. It was gorgeous but took so much maintenance to keep it smudge, goop and fingerprint free that I swore I'd not do a dark shiny countertop again. I intended to just do honed but saw this at two yards I visited and thought it felt and looked so nice. Now that it's down, it seems nice and earthy and stone-like to me. I think we'll really like it.

I anticipated we would be answering questions about the island surface because of its unique appearance. We've only had a handful of people come through the house since the island top was put in and they've "ooo'ed and ahh'ed" over it. But now I'm realizing that the perimeter will raise some brows too since it's not a finish people are that familiar with here. Suddenly I feel very cutting edge. LOL!

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Are antiqued and leathered the same thing? The textured granite I've seen has texture, but nothing I'd call crevices. Seems better than the honed or polished that shows finger prints smears, each in their own ways.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

I hope it's not a bad idea because mine will be installed in a few weeks!

I chose a leathered kodiak brown granite and the texture is light enough that it's hardly noticeable. The kids can do homework on it with no problem. I've heard of polished and honed dark granites being a maintenance issue, but I've never heard of a problem with the textured finishes - and believe me I searched!

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I think that the crevices, etc. are more the result of the character of the stone. I've seen leathered absolute black that has a great texture but not many crevices because that type of granite if very uniform and has no veining. Others, especially the marble and limestone I have seen in a leathered finish and granite like the antique brown that has a lot of variation (and some veining) have slightly more texture and, thus, crevices, etc.

I wasn't commenting to much on maintenance as I was bacteria, etc. If a good sealer is used and you clean thoroughly, it shouldn't really be a problem.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

I have leathered Magma Supreme and I don't think it will be a problem. One thing I've noticed is that the black portions of the granite seem to have more of the texture. Mine has a lot of texture (as in bumpy) but it is very smooth (not rough or jagged) and I think will be very easy to clean. It doesn't have deep pockets or anything where food will get caught.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kevin, your post is what inspired me to ask. Your photos are gorgeous.
    What are the problems with honed dark marble or granite kitchen counters?
    Thanks. We intend to go to the slab place this weekend and, if we make a decision, I'll post back!

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I don't really think there are any "problems." As one of the posters commented, the texture is not rough; it's very soft to the touch. It's that it's not a perfectly flat surface and sometimes has crevices and dimples. You will be able to tell at the slab yard whether the stone is right for you and to pick one with a good texture. As long as it has been properly sealed, and you clean it thoroughly, it should be fine.

• roulie
    11 years ago

I think it's a great idea!!

I have Cambrian black granite with what I believe they called an "antique leather" finish... I don't know if they "antiqued" it and then "leathered" it or if the name is just redundant... Anyway, I LOVE it. It is durable, easy to clean, doesn't stain, doesn't etch, doesn't show fingerprints (unless one of the kids has eaten something really greasy!) I can put hot things right on it. I have had it for 3 years and it looks like the day they put it in. If something oily sits on the counter, you can see the oil but it washes right off with cleanser or soapy water.

The texture is smooth, with just slight indentations. There is absolutely no place that could trap anything (I roll dough on it with no problem) and I clean it with either a soapy cloth or cleaning spray, whatever is handy. My kids do their homework at the table, we spill food coloring, paint, glue, etc.

Here are some pictures. From a distance it looks almost solid black; up close it is lighter than black with lots of silver and copper-colored flecks. Hope this helps!

This shows how soft the indentations are:

This shows some of the flecks:

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I also have the Cambrian Black on my island. When I bought it, they called it brushed, but I have seen the same look called brushed, antique or antiqued and leathered. When you look at it, the the crystals in the background of the stone are either different colors or different degrees of opaque/translucent so that the crystals that are darker/more translucent make the stone look more textured than it actually is. It made me concerned about using it in the kitchen until I realized the texture is really more subtle as shown above. It is very easy to clean and the entire surface is sealed, both with the acid wash that was part of the finishing process and with sealer (the fabricator said he couldn't assure that any actually went into the stone, but they would apply it and try forcing it into any open pores just to be sure. I've lived with it for 4 years now -- all kinds of prep work, kneading and rolling dough (usually rolling cookies on parchment but other things directly on my stone --granite or marble). I figure that any surface that allows me to work doughs and cleans up easily is pretty much ideal.

Those light spots on the Canbrian -- my fabricator calls them ice flowers. I still try to wipe some of them off, but I love them.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

roulie and lascatx - great to see your leathered Cambrian Black. We got a piece from a local dealer and it seems a lot less uniform than yours. There are longish slim crystals that don't "take" the leathering but I don't think I see that on yours.

• toulousekittie
    11 years ago

We have Kodiak Brown granite with a leathered finish and pencil edge in our kitchen. We absolutely love it. There are no issues with cleaning and nothing to do for maintenance. The play of light on the surface is beautiful and different flecks of color within the granite are visible depending on time of day and by natural or artificial light.

In a previous house we had polished granite counters. Comparing the two, I'd go leathered hands down. Polished shows dust, finger prints, marks or scratches. Leathered does not.

If we ever move or remodel a kitchen again, without hesitation I'd choose Kodiak Brown granite with a leathered finish again in a heartbeat!

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

My sister has had antiqued absolute for several years and it is awesome. I would call it textured but it's not like the crevices appear deep and stuff doesn't seem to get caught. Love her countertop! That said, DH was afraid of crumbies in the crevices, despite what we've seen, so antiqued or leathered granite was not an option in our new kitchen.

• andreak100
    11 years ago

Missed when this was posted earlier...but, we just bought a leathered granite, so I hope that it's going to work just fine. There were a few spots where it was a little "rougher" than others, but it was mostly just a bit bumpy. We liked that it looked a bit different than what EVERYONE is getting now and that it seemed like we wouldn't have the light reflection pools as much as you do a polished granite. It also seems like it won't be as likely to show every single crumb or scratch.

Totally different material, but growing up, we had the shiny Formica countertops, but in the last house we had, it was more of a matte finish...the matte finish and the pattern made it easy to care for and aesthetically reasonably palatable.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I have leathered (or antiqued) black pearl and absolutely love it. It shows NO finger prints, wipes clean as easily as the polished granite on the island, and doesn't reflect glaringly when the setting sun hits it. NO PROBLEM AT ALL WITH CREVICES. THERE AREN'T ANY.

Roulie's pictures perfectly showed why the surface is easy to clean.

This pic shows a slab with setting sun and deep shadow. No glare

A fingernail or finger dragged across it never hits a snag. Nowhere for dirt to lodge.

• niblickchick
    11 years ago

so is it safe to say that leathered or antiqued granite in any color will NOT show fingerprints? or does it still depend on the color?

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Mine does not show fingerprints at all, but it you leave behind oil from the bottom of bottle or other drips, it will show. But it will also wipe right up.

AboutToGetDusty, it may be too late for you, but I had some of the same concerns as your husband -- even more because I bake and knead and roll bread doughs, roll cookie doughs, make pasta, etc. I have worked on parchment for some (cookie dough I roll and then chill) and directly on the granite for others (kneading, rolling bread dough, rolling and cutting fondant). Any uneveness in the surface is relatively wide and shallow. Things don't get caught in it and it is not hard to clean at all. My Cambrian is onthe island and my counters are honed marble. I figured I would have that soft, smooth surface if the Cambrian was not smooth enough. I work bread doughs and fondant on both counters without any problems. Really. The same Cambrian is also on the counter level of our breakfast room hutch where we make sandwiched for lunches during the school year. Lots of crumbs, a little peanut butter and some jelly drips --coffee or water from the espresso maker at times -- just a wipe and it's clean again. Mine is almost 6 years old and gets more of a workout than most and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

I second everything that roulie said. I have antiqued/leathered cambrian black granite in my kitchen. I've had it for years now. It has been bulletproof. We love the countertop and would pick it again in a heartbeat.

My hard water spots do show up on the counter from drips (since they are white-ish on a black surface,) but they rub right out.

drbeanie2000 - The texture on my granite is very uniform and there is nothing I would call a dimple or crevice. There are no long crystals that stand out. Just tiny specks. Can you take a photo of your sample and share? I haven't seen any slabs similar to what you mention.

"so is it safe to say that leathered or antiqued granite in any color will NOT show fingerprints? or does it still depend on the color?"

Mine showed fingerprints for the first month or two, which made me nervous. I don't think my granite was sealed at all, so it was thirsty to absorb some oil into it. :) Or, at least that is my theory. Regardless of the reason, after a short break-in period, I haven't seen fingerprints for years. I can't say for sure about other granites, though...

I did just see a new home at our Parade of Homes with the same granite. I touched it, and it left a print mark. I suspect it's for the same reason.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

A couple photos:
    Without flash, with sunlight on it:
    {{!gwi}}

With flash to accentuate the mica flecks:
    {{!gwi}}

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Keep in mind that those dark spots are actually darker and more translucent crystals in the stone. They are not deep pits as they might first appear.

• mkkTampa
    9 years ago

Does anyone have suggestions on how to remove small scratches? We installed Leathered Brown Sequoia quartzite, and it doesn't stain, but we do have some small scratches. Towards the bottom center of the picture - the small white spot. Anyone have suggestions?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

mkkTampa:

For 10 bucks, I'd give this a try:

Here is a link that might be useful: HF

• marlene711
    8 years ago

Mkktampa how do you like your countertops? I'm thinking of buying the same slab for the bathroom.

• PRO
    Imagine Surfaces
    8 years ago

mkkTampa, for the scratches, you can actually use a black Sharpie to color over them. After you draw on the countertop use a wet paper towel to remove any excess. Because the scratch is rougher than the rest of the surface, the black should only stay on the white scratch. This works to make those small scratches almost invisible!

• PRO
    Distinctive Domain
    8 years ago

Does it scratch easily? How did you get the scratch. We are considering for our kitchen.

• Susan McGinty
    8 years ago

I'm not quite sure what I have. I 'm hoping some of you may be able to tell me that. I moved into this new home two weeks ago. I was told this counter top was granite and that it had a leather finish. It's pretty dark with some flecks in it. It is not perfectly smooth as I am used to granite being. The texture is nice and it is pretty but I cannot get it to be clean where you don't see rings, fingerprints, oily marks or anything. I got two different kinds of spray cleaners for stone and granite counter tops but the marks are still there. I am afraid to try anything else because I do not want to do anything to damage it but I do have to say that with my OCD this is not the counter top for me!!! When I moved in supposedly it had been "cleaned" by a professional but I saw the rings right away. PLEASE HELP! Is it soap and water I use? What? I can't stand it!

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    8 years ago

I think your countertop needs to be stripped of whatever is sitting on the surface. I am guessing that whatever was applied to the surface did not absorb (most black granites are very hard and don't need sealers) and is causing the water rings. I believe to strip the countertop acetone is used; however, I will defer to the countertop experts (Joe, are you there?) to give you advice on how to strip it.

• Kathie Bradeen
    7 years ago

You need to strip it and seal it with an oil-based sealant. I have a feeling the previous people only sealed it with a water based sealant and that is porous. They probably set an oily bottle down and it seeped into the granite. I have the leathered gray/black, oil based sealed granite and love it.

• PRO
    MarkJames & Co
    7 years ago

That looks a lot like a counter one client I had did-it was Angola Black leathered and came resined. It was slightly glossier than normal leathered. The fabricator automatically put sealer on it which created problems similar to what you describe. I had them come back and strip off all of the sealer with solvents.

I don't know how you can go about finding out if that is the issue or not. Based on my past experiences even contacting the original fabricator may not get you an answer. I'd still try to find a good, knowledgeable, professional stone person (harder than it sounds) to have a look.

• javiwa
    7 years ago

Kathie -- Curious to know what brand of oil-based sealer you used. We had Calacatta quartzite (honed by fabricator) installed last December and are still struggling w/ sealer issues. I'd read in previous GW threads that some oil-based (silicone?) sealers don't do much against water-based stains, and that optimal was to find a sealer that repels both water and oil -- Tenax ProSeal being a name most recently recommended to me (by stone fabricators/pros in a different advice forum). TIA.

• bluegirl63
    6 years ago

Leathered granite does not have "nooks and crannies". It has a very slight texturing, something that is done by machine, much like distressing a piece of wood furniture. It is not the natural state of the granite, so don't be concerned about crumbs getting caught in little holes. I absolutely love mine. It is just fine for a kitchen.

• starnold
    6 years ago

Love mine, makes dark granite easy to care for! Also loved the mid-tone honed granite in my previous home.

• drbeanie2000
    6 years ago

Exactly. The only drawback is a slight irregularity if you're penciling something directly on the surface. I love the matte-ness, or at least I can say I DID love the matte-ness except that after 3 years, I don't notice it anymore. I don't think a sealer was used. Citrus, which we use frequently, doesn't bother it. Any kind of black surface, like our Cambrian black, has the potential to suck the light out of a kitchen. So look at that before you take my advice!

• Kathi Meenehan
    6 years ago

So, reading all these comments, am I correct in thinking that most of your leathered countertops are dark? I was thinking of making my new island (granite color listed as Hawaii, but it's light in background with some tans and grey) leathered, and have my surrounding countertops the regular gloss. I am not too tough on my counters, no young kids or grandkids! TIA for any thoughts!

• Tonia Villaloboz
    4 years ago

I have leathered granites and it's only 10 months old it has dulled next to sink. Anyone know what I should do about it. That is where the dirty and wet dishes sit for while before washing.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Google an appropriate poultice and stop putting your dishes there please.

• Leanna L
    4 years ago

I have the same questions, I am about the make a large purchase for countertops for an entire kitchen, very large island and surround counterops. I have chosen the fantasy brown granite which comes in leathered and polished finish. I'm not concerned about the upkeep as I am more concerened about the look and durability. I love the leathered finish but am not sure I will love it all the time in my kithchen. I don't know what to do, I feel just t be safe to go with polished but I'm concerned that I will regret not doing leathered. Plese help wiht any ideas. I ready most comments but everyone is talking about dark black granite. The fantasy brown is lighter.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Just make sure you see a large (2'x2') sample before you buy and you'll be fine. Take it home and put it in the sunlight where it will go.

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

Leanna L, I agree with Joseph. If need be, find a large slab warehouse and take a look at their leathered granite slabs. Leathered and Honed is a personal choice and if you find yourself very attracted to all the other leathered slabs (despite color differences) then that might be your preference. I have Leathered sienna Bordeaux, which was polished when I first saw it, so had it leathered. I do love the leathered look for a few reasons: I feel it's easier to care for; no issues with even wet dough sticking in the crannies; it's quite beautiful in my eyes and I still can't stop touching it : ) I also love that it has a lower sheen, no glare from overhead lights or sunlight. But that's my preference.

One thing, leathering and honing (honed is smoother, leather shows the lovely crevices and dips and so forth) tend to cause the natural stone to dull. We used an enhancer sealant to bring the colors back (and frankly, with leathered, we actually see more stone detail). One coat is fine, two coasts can darken it beyond the original polished look. To know which you'd want (regular sealant vs. enhancer sealant) simply wipe your stone off with a very damp rag - the resulting look, before the stone dries, will show the depth of color you'll get with an enhancer. Not all enhancers give you a 'wet' look when they dry. To keep a low sheen (as seen below in ours) you leave enhancer sealer on 5 minutes, then buff, buff, and buff some more. And your done : ) For what it's worth, I think Fantasy Brown would be perfect leathered : )

3rd Photos for Uploading · More Info

3rd Photos for Uploading · More Info