Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ybmatt

Im in the market to get new quartz countertops, need help

YBMatt
9 years ago

As the subject says. My electric stovetop lost a burner a few weeks ago. In total there are two burners not working. As for the kitchen, countertops are tiles and my mom says she wants them removed. So this is a perfect time to look at quartz countertops. I live in the the Los Angeles/South Bay area of California.
The countertop I am set on is Dupont Zodiaq, because of the Breton equipment in producing quality quartz countertops. I will stay away from silestone for budget reasons.
What I need help from the community is finding companies in the Los angeles County/Orange County area doing the high quality work at a price I can afford and has a slab yard or so.

Comments (8)

• updating
    9 years ago

I was planning to install quartz for my island until I found that it is sensitive to heat. I have granite that I use for a dough working surface and also regularly put hot pots and pans on to cool straight from the oven/stove. There have been no problems with the granite. However, the quartz is only rated to around 400 degrees for a limited time (like 5 min) because it is crushed rock bound with acrylic. The acrylic will scorch. Also, if there is any over heating, it will void the warranty. This discovery steered me back to granite for my island work surface. Just an FYI.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

updating:

According to the Marble Institute of America, all stone countertop users should employ trivets. Heat can crack natural stone. This makes all countertops virtually equal.

The resin binder in engineered stone is polyester.

• renov8r
    9 years ago

I wouldn't put a hot pot on any counter top. I think you are asking for trouble. I have always used trivets and wood cutting boards to put my hot pots on.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Ditto to not putting red hot things on the counter. Or cutting straight on the counter. I understand some people may not like the look of some quartz products or the fact that it's engineered. But I find mine to be a seriously carefree counter.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

ybmatt- if budget is a concern you may want to consider granite. i too started out with quartz in mind but anything i liked was significantly more than an equivalent granite. after i did some research that debunked the radon bs, i found so many granites i liked that were $20 or more less per sq ft than any quartz. i love my granite and have no regrets.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Failed seam, heat damage, customer abuse, no seam support.

Failed seam, no seam support.

Heat damage customer abuse.

ardcp is correct. When it comes to budget, granite is hard to beat.

In the repair business, you're always evaluating cost effectiveness. I told the potential customers whose pictures are above that I could repair these Avonite glass series countertops for about $750.00 with a 1K cap.

They told me they could get new granite installed for $1,200.00. In all fairness, that's a plop-'n-run price, but even adding tear-out, disposal, new sink, and plumbing they're still around 2K.

Since he's kinda handy, I doubt I'll be hearing back from them.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

trebruchet- that looks terrible! if that is customer and heat damage it is unlikely any granite they get will fare better. those people need to respect their counters:) i have granite but there is no way i am putting hot pans on it even if 299 people say it is fine to do so! wooden cutting boards go under any hot pans whether it was on my laminate or my new granite!

• musicgal
    9 years ago

The only counter I ever had that I set my roasting pan on was ceramic tile. It was out of fashion, even in 2000 when I had it put in- but it was tough. Never had much issue with the buff grout lines either. Really had to do some soul searching to put stone in the new house, but methinks quartzite will be fine. And woe unto me if I abuse my counters as in the pictures above!