Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amw33629

Does granite really stain easily?

amw33629
14 years ago

I know that granite is pourous and that it needs to be kept sealed. However, we just had our Giallo Ornamental granite installed a week ago and already it seems to be getting stained. For instance, we made creamed spinach and there are small green dots from it that I can't get up (with soap and water). I am going to buy granite cleaner tomorrow but am quite concerned if the granite stains this easily. Any info or advice? Thank you!

Comments (10)

• amw33629
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It should already be sealed - that's why I'm so concerned and wondering if it's properly sealed does it still stain rather easily?

• User
    14 years ago

We have giallo ornamental too. Some porous granites like GO need to be sealed more than once, I learned that on this forum, I sealed mine 3 times.

• amw33629
    Original Author
    14 years ago

roseabbey - thank you. So you sealed it 3 times in a row? Can you over-seal it? Did it help a lot? How did your realize it still needed more sealant?

• User
    14 years ago

I sealed it twice before we moved in about 1 week apart. Then when we moved in and began using the kitchen, I noticed that the water especially around the faucet and sink was not beading up, so I sealed everything again and looks like it is good for now. I use a clean/sealer also periodically. I dont think you can over seal it, you can tell if the granite is sealed if it isnt darkening when you put apply the sealer.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Hi amw33629,

I am so sorry your granite is showing stains.

Granite does stain. And the worst culprits are
    red wine, tomato juice, olive oil (all oils)
    grape juice, lemon, lime... Basically anything acidic.

My installer told me before I used my granite, I needed
    to wash it, let it dry for at least 6 hours and seal it.
    I used a sealer from Home Depot. Even though it was
    sealed at the shop it still needed to be sealed in
    my home.

After the sealer was applied I needed to let it sit
    for 10 minutes and wipe it down. Wait half hour and repeat.
    The sealer has been great so far. I have a busy
    active house with hungry people leaving messes about.

I would call your installer to find out what you
    can do. Good luck.

~boxerpups

• dborcky7
    8 years ago
    I just had my Giallo ornamental installed three days ago. I watched the installer spray a sealer on it and we did not use the counters till yesterday. my son spilled some ice tea on it and I'm not sure how long it sat there but I noticed it seemed a little darker. my husband says I'm losing it. but if drinks are spilled will they dry out?
  • kevdp4
    8 years ago

Some stones are more porous than others and require more sealer applications. Applications should be done 24 hours or more apart and repeated until the stone does not darken during applications. Once properly sealed maintenance is very easy. Test by setting a wet rag on the stone for ten minutes, if the stone darkens it needs to be resealed.

• maggiewp
    7 years ago

What kind of sealers are folks using? I am very disappointed in my brand new giallo ornamental. It leaves water marks after a two minute water test, and it is very pitted and gritty AND has what looks like some manmade circular scratches (from improper polishing?)

• User
    7 years ago

My new granite has two stains from where the workers left some sticky substance which I removed with my fingernail the day we moved in here (new home). I have noticed that the stain which were barely noticeable at first now are darkening in color (yellowish). I also noticed under my toaster oven where drips gather there is a faint yellow mark as I didn't wipe it down immediately (but it is faint in color). I have never had this issue with granite before. Is there anything I can do?