Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
verver_gw

Need help with farmhouse sink install ASAP!

verver
9 years ago

yet another farmhouse sink install questions....i have read all the threads....here is our issue-need to resolve it ASAP as the countertop is getting measured in 2 days:

Rohl shaws 30" farmhouse sink installed as undermount, GC cut out the cabinet to custom fit- cabinets are overlay as you see in pic. But as you can see, there seems to be a very noticeable gap between sink and cut edge of cabinet.
how do we fix this? GC can use cut out piece of cabinetry for overlay trimming (with more exact fit), but it will make the doors look like inset doors-will this look good or clash w rest of doors? or use some substance to fill the gap? or just accept it as part of the charm of a handmade sink without absolute straight edges? what's everyone's opinion/suggestion?

This post was edited by verver on Sat, May 10, 14 at 22:37

Comments (14)

• verver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

zoomed out view

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Huh. I have no idea if that is right or wrong per se, but it seems to me that it could trim out alright. Maybe.

I am curious now to see what the experienced have to say.

• deedles
    9 years ago

I'd probably go for the trim piece which should look fine, but, if he can make that fit tight, why not the original cabinet apron? The trim piece should look just fine, though.

Great cabinet color, btw.

• verver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thx, deedles.

what do people do with the cut edges of the trim piece? get matching paint color? leave it? use touch up paint?

• verver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

david-thought about that. just don't know how it would end up looking. does anyone have pictures?

• itsallaboutthefood
    9 years ago

My farm house sink has a trim piece installed which is fit more closely to the sink. It does not have any unfinished cut edges except the edge cut to fit the sink but that is fit so closely you cannot see the cut edges.

• verver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Food- that looks great. So it would mean I would have to order a whole new panel with finished edges on 3 sides and have GC cut from that. Another concern is whether there is enough room between top of the doors and the bottom of the sink- there is like 1/2" there- too narrow to be able to cut?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

verver:

A color matched caulk properly applied will make that almost disappear. Don't worry about it.

• laurencp
    9 years ago

I had the same issue with my Rohl's farmhouse sink. The painter just caulked and painted now you can't even notice it looks great. My cabinets were just painted, so matching paint was not an issue.

• itsallaboutthefood
    9 years ago

Verver, Thanks. Whether a panel can be cut with 1/2" below the sink is a question for your contractor. I have only 1 1/4" inches below the sink and above the cabinet doors.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

Sometimes a drip edge is installed below a farm sink and looks good as well as being practical. That would work for your half inch below the sink, the sides could be filled in with an overlay panel like Food shows. Google for images. Most farm sinks without an overlay panel look fine but your sink is significantly less wide than your cabinet, that is why it is more noticeable.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Not the best cut job.

There's a photo of one that's well done on the link. Caulk will be best because a trim piece cannot go around the radius on the bottoms without looking odd.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farm sink close up

• verver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks everyone. no, not the best cut job. think we'll just fill the gaps w/ some sort of material...seems the most reasonable solution....now if i can decide on the reveal....

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths