Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
broston2

New construction opinions

broston2
9 years ago

We are in the middle of designing our forever home and I'd like as many opinions as possible. Here is our kitchen. This is a 2100 sq. ft. home that will be home to growing kids and a family who likes to entertain. I want the stove in the island and not on the wall (that's what most people have commented on) because I want to be part of the family while I'm cooking. I'm also thinking about putting the fridge on the end by the table, but then when you walk in the house, the kitchen wouldn't look symmetrical (right now there is just 1 wall cabinet flanking the windows. What is your opinion on this, or any others for that matter! Thanks for any advice/opinons. I'm a 20 something who is trying to build the smartest house possible! Thanks again!

Comments (8)

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

It is ideal to keep the fridge on the perimeter so that anyone wanting to grab a drink or a snack won't be invading your work triangle while you are trying to work.

It appears your island is 93 inches long (based on cabinet measurements) but I don't see any measurements for how deep the island is.

There is nothing wrong with having the stove on the island so you aren't staring at a wall while you cook, just make sure you plan for adequate ventilation. You don't want the whole house smelling like last nights curried chicken.

It would help if you could post actual dimensions for the entire room, the designers here(which I am not, FYI) are great at making a kitchen into the most functional and attractive space possible.

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Each of those squares in a foot. So it is about 14x15 with a 4.5x8 ft. island

• huango
    9 years ago

Since I can't convince you of moving your stove from the island...

Are you getting a counter-depth fridge or standard?
    if standard, then how about pulling the cabinets on the fridge to the depth of the fridge (~29-31") so that the fridge doesn't look like it sticks out.

where is your trash and microwave?

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm assuming we will get a standard fridge. I don't like the look of it sticking out, but also don't want to completely gut the kitchen to replace it later. We don't use a microwave and trash can will likely go in the tall cabinet beside the fridge. I don't like the small trashcans in the pull outs. Id have to take it out 3x/day!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

The fridge might be recess-able into the wall with a little tweaking if all there is behind it is a closet and bench.

• huango
    9 years ago

I don't understand the part about needing to gut the kitchen to fit in the fridge.
    See the link below about pulling out cabinets so that the countertop can be deeper.
    That's what I'm suggesting for the cabinets next to the fridge (the short wall of the L-shape kitchen), so that the fridge doesn't look like it's sticking out, since everything next to it is the same depth.
    If you don't have the fridge now, build the space for the size that you would want (suggest the standard 36" wide) so that you can fit that fridge in later.

My current fridge is 32" from the previous kitchen, but the fridge space is a generous 37" to allow for a 36" when this 32" fridge dies.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0508574522757.html

you may not use a MW now, but think about building/allocating the space for one.
    I found it very useful when the kids were babies and even now when i warm up soup, just 1 bowl for 1 kid (instead of a whole pot full).

note (if it hasn't already been mentioned): venting from island is expensive, compared to just out the exterior wall.
    The main driver of my kitchen reno = needed a venting system.

good luck
    amanda

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Even if you can recess the fridge (which is a good idea), I think you'd want a full-depth cabinet above it. I've had a 12" cab above the fridge, and there are two problems with it. First, I can't reach anything up there without a chair, and second, I ended up putting things on top of the fridge, so I had to move stuff before I could get to that cabinet.

Your other option on the fridge wall is to make those cabinets at least 27" deep, with 15" uppers. It gives you more counter and storage space, and makes the fridge look recessed, without actually doing it.

In my Mom's kitchen, she had trash in a broom closet next to the fridge. Is that what yours is, instead of a tall pantry? It was fine for her smaller kitchen, except when she was actually prepping food, when she pulled the whole can out and put it by the sink and cutting board.

For our family of 4, we have a pullout for trash and recycling, with two 13-gallon bins. We empty the trash no more than every other day, and the recycling once or twice a week. I'm curious what you do that generates so much trash.

My best advise for planning a kitchen is to figure out where you will store things - literally make an inventory of your small appliances, pots and pans, cookie sheets, bakeware. Where will you put potholders, cooking utensils, storage containers, dish towels, flour and sugar, etc? Measure the larger items, to make sure things will fit where you plan.

Most here recommend drawers instead of base cabinets. Measuring is especially important if you are putting something like canisters in drawers, or small appliances, or cake pans on their sides.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Think about exactly how much time you spend standing at the stove compared to prep time.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022