Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stpindell_gw

Best Granite Sealer

stpindell
14 years ago

We need to seal our granite countertops. What is the best sealer out there that is user friendly?

Comments (22)

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

Dupont's StoneTech Professional Sealer is the most often used by tile/stone businesses I think. I like it. As far as user friendly: wipe it on, let it sit, wipe it off. Doesn't get easier than that. ;-)

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

I just read in your other thread that the granite guy took out and put in the new granite and you're happy with the color. that's great.

If you ever get granite again, do what I did: go there to the yard and help them put the template on the stone so you can see what it will look like. Doesn't mean you won't get a surprise anyway, but it does help.

• User
    14 years ago

I have giallo ornamental granite, the fabricators left me with the Dupont StoneTech to seal the granite myself. I found I had to apply at least 3 coats to seal GO.

• gaylemh
    14 years ago

roseabbey,

My granite was installed today. Juparana Columbo. I know I will need more than one coat of sealer, so they left me some of what they used. How long did you wait between coats of sealer?

• User
    14 years ago

We hadnt moved into the house yet when I applied the first two coats which were at least 1 week apart. Then a month later when we moved in and I started using the kitchen I noticed that in some spots the water didnt bead up so I applied the third coat. The instructions on the bottle say you can reapply 30-40 minutes after first coat.

• stpindell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I will look into the Dupont StoneTech sealer.

Any input Stonegirl? Kevin?

• oofasis
    14 years ago

Kevin posted this sealer recommendation this past March: I prefer Miracle Sealant's "511 Porous Plus" or "511 Impregnator"). Good sealers - like 511 Porous Plus will do the job in one liberal coat - allowed to set on the stone for about 5 minutes, then the excess is wiped off and allowed to dry - leaving a dull haze that is buffed off with a dry cloth. I've used these with no problems.

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

That's one Tom Cordova of the rock blog likes also. Seriously, either one is fine.

• gaylemh
    14 years ago

My granite was installed yesterday. From what I could see from the bottle they used Stone Specific Marble, Limestone Sealer. Is this any good?

• spidermom
    14 years ago

hi, based on research (mainly on this board) i purchased 911 impregnator for my new, honed imperial danby counters. however, while i was at work, the stone fabricators insisted on using a different product -- dupont stonetech professional heavy duty sealer. it doesn't seem to be doing a great job. anyone have experience with this? and what do i need to do if i want to remove that and go with the impregnator. help! thanks so much

• jake20
    14 years ago

the granite shop i purchased my slabs from, and my granite fabricator both recommended Miracle 511 impregnator

• amandacb12
    14 years ago

Hi can anyone help?
    I had a granite worktop installed last September but the surface is getting worse and worse and looks smudged and horrid as if liquids are being absorbed.
    When the granite was installed the company director said he didn't know what sealer the suppliers had used so they used Granfix EASI tile sealer. He didn't give any indication that it would need sealing again at any time.
    My questions are:
    Does anyone know if Granfix EASI tile sealer is suitable for sealing granite?
    Is there anything I can do to improve the condition of the worktop?
    Should I put another sealer on now?
    Thanks to anyone who can help

• stonegirl
    14 years ago

Hi Amanda -

What is the name of the stone you had installed and do you have any pictures? (Current ones showing the marks would be fine)

• mitch57
    14 years ago

My granite, Baltic Brown, was just installed and sealed by my granite guy. He didn't mention a name, but did say it was a solvent based sealer. He also said that I would never need to seal it again, I'm not sure if that's true though. Time will tell

• Tom_akropolisimports_com
    13 years ago

Hate to revive a death thread, but I have to add to it. Most of the granites out there can't or are very difficult to stain. I'm in the industry, and there's a handful of granites that are actually likely to stain if not cleaned up every night. My mom picked one of the worst!!! I've personally tested dozens of brands of sealers side by side, including most of the ones mentioned here, and to date only one actually exceeded all my expectations. Lifetime sealer from Surface Treatments Technology (STT) . There were two kinds of sealer involved, and the first application was just sucked into the stone like a sponge would. It's been over a year, and Mom's real world countertop is holding up as well as the samples. GREAT PRODUCT !

Here is a link that might be useful: granite sealer

• belkat
    12 years ago

Tom -

I am looking at granite now. Would really appreciate if you could let us know which granites are actually likely to stain. I have two boys and have to avoid those! Thanks.

• suraw
    6 years ago

Can anyone tell me if they have heard of Tantex sealer. Our fabricators were just awful to deal with. We just had Lenon granite installed. We don't know if it is a good granite but we really liked it. Now I am so concerned about whether is has been sealed properly because I just don't trust them. It is Tantex ProSeal.

Thank you, anyone

• javiwa
    6 years ago

Suraw: It's actually Tenax ProSeal and, yes, it's worked well to repel both water- and oil-based substances on our quartzite.

Read/follow directions very carefully, and be sure the room is well ventilated.

• suraw
    6 years ago

Thank you for writing. Just one more question....I read there is a black list for granites. Has anyone ever purchased Lenon and how it stands up to normal use. A reply from anyone would be very helpful because you hear do many different things about granite and sealing it. Aldo, we have a few mica pits. Should we try to seal,these so nothing gets lodged in them. Concerned.

• Alex Ruthenburg
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just did a comparison between Akemi Nano Effect and Miracle Porous Plus on Absolute black flamed granite tile:

Both sealers are excellent against water (it beads up). Two coats of Akemi and even a single coat protect against water, espresso, wine, and olive oil (right). Porous Plus (right) darkens the stone a bit more (this is 24 hours after application), and resists all but the oil well. The negative control of untreated is down the center. Conditions left to right: 0.5 mL of distilled deionzed water, hot espresso, red wine, and olive oil. Top 1/4 (two coats of sealant applied 4 hours apart), top middle quarter (single coat), bottom half (two coats, applied immediately after one another with 5 minutes to soak, then wipe). Have some Tenax Proseal coming tomorrow to compare to Akemi, the clear winner here.

• M Miller
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Alex Ruthenburg - you resurrected an old thread to do an experiment that was a waste of time. Absolute Black granite should never be sealed. You should have tried this experiment on a different, more porous granite tile. Absolute Black is the most dense granite there is. Espresso, wine, and olive oil will not stain Absolute Black regardless, with zero sealant, though the oil might show a grease spot, since the oil won’t absorb and will sit on top. But all you’d have to use in that case is soapy water.

Sealant protects against stains. If instead your goal was to darken your stone, you need an enhancer. And that would also mean you don’t have Absolute Black granite, but one of its many imitators. Absolute Black’s name describes it. It doesn’t need darkening.