Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulineinmn

Kitchen progress (pics)

paulineinmn
12 years ago

I thought I'd share some photos of my kitchen - it's getting there, but still need to get the cabinet doors on, install the breakfast bar/counter, finish the stairway and landing, and get a range/hood (The last one, a GE cafe, leaked gas out of all 5 burners, plus only one burner turned up beyond low heat. I'm getting a Bertazzoni.).

Looking down into kitchen from top of little stairway.

Looking into kitchen from bottom of little stairway.

Same place, different angle.

Looking towards landing.

Looking towards landing. The bottom cabinet with no doors on has a bunch of shallow pullout drawers. The top part (without the doors) is sort of a hutch thing that will have glass doors.

Looking out towards dining room. The top part of the upper cabinets (the part that has a painted interior) will have glass fronts. After we had everything planned, we ripped out the fake ceiling (which was right at the junction between what is now the painted and unpainted part of the cabinets) and lo and behold, there were cabinets up there! Just like the ones I had planned on! You can sort of see one of my pendant lights sitting on the shelf, it's called the Berlin pendant and it's by Roost.

I love my sink and my faucet! Sink is a Shaw fireclay sink (30"), faucet is Rohl in polished nickel.

Sink and soapstone and mother's day flowers.

Closeup of soapstone.

Looking into kitchen from what will be the tv room area. Breakfast bar/counter is going on top of the stub wall, where the flowers are.

Comments (27)

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

oooooooooh, are you doing white uppers? verrrrry nice! what a beautiful, light filled space. i can't wait to see your finish!

• regina_phalange
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! I can't wait to see the finished product!

• itsallaboutthefood
    12 years ago

It's beautiful...I love the wood lowers and white uppers. Can't wait to seem more.

• celineike
    12 years ago

It's going to be beautiful. I love the light in your space!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing! What a great mix of wood and painted cabs. Can I ask what you're storing in those shallow pullouts?

• lazydaisynot
    12 years ago

Fresh, friendly and so much lovely light. Great job.

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

That is already so bright and cheerful! I don't quite understand how there were already cabinets where your fake ceiling was. The cabinets I see in the pictures are perfectly sized to your new cabs, and are pristine. I think the cherry accent color is great, btw.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Ditto on how light and bright and airy your kitchen looks already! What a pretty and terrific space you will have when it's all done!

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Looks great so far! Can't wait to see it all put together.

• paulineinmn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! Breezygirl, right now I just have dishtowels in one (can't open the other drawers because there's no hardware yet!) but when we're done I'll use them for things I want to keep from getting messed up (placemats, napkins) and all the little things that kept rolling around in my drawers. I love all these different drawers and containers (from Martha Stewart's kitchen):

Adrienne - I took out the old cabinets I found in the ceiling. The ones that are there now are new (but they're almost exactly the same size as the old ones).

• ejbrymom
    12 years ago

love it! Love the contrast of the uppers, lowers and countertop. Your kitchen really seems to fit the style/time period of your home. Can't wait to see the finished product. Great use of space too/layout too.

• summersucks
    12 years ago

wow! that is absolutely beautiful! and martha's drawer is amazing!

• houseful
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I love everything and cannot wait to see it with the doors on. That landing is so cool!

I see the paper bag next to the frig. What will be your ulimate solution there because I have the same problem?

• bestyears
    12 years ago

LOVE it! Love your dough bowl, your utensil jug, your shallow drawers, can't WAIT to see the finished kitchen!

• mythreesonsnc
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I love the simple lines that draw attention to the beautiful wood grain of your cabinets. I think the pendants will be amazing and love you sink and faucet. Can't wait to see more!

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

Wow, I love everything! Looks like some of the same old-house issues we dealt with--a back stairway into the middle of kitchen, getting enough light in, tall ceilings. (I'm in MN, too!) You have made the most of a tricky space.

Your floor is gorgeous--is it the original? The look like beautiful old wood.

Cabinetry is beautiful, too. I kinda wish I had gone with wood lowers and white uppers...sigh. Looking forward to seeing it all finished!

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

I love painted uppers paired with stained lowers so little wonder that I'm in love your kitchen already. Can't wait to see it finished! What paint color did you use for your uppers?

• kmmh
    12 years ago

So pretty-love the soapstone too!

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

So lovely and bright! Love the warmth of the cherry cabs with the white uppers! Add in the soapstone and I'm swooning! You have a very unique layout and I'm wondering what you're going to keep in the tall, narrow cabs on the wall to the right of the stack of pull-out shelves. Also, is that an appliance garage in the corner to the left of the sink (it looks kind of small so I'm not sure)? Also, love how you've put a niche in the overhang over the sink! It looks like you've made the most of every inch! I can't wait to see more!

• fourkids4us
    12 years ago

What a bright kitchen - I can't wait to see the finished product. I was wondering why you had flowers amidst the construction even though they add a nice touch! :)

Question about your range choice - I've been planning to order the GE Cafe range for months now and have to bite the bullet and make a decision this week. My friend has had hers for over a year and loves it. I'm sorry that yours had a problem. How did GE deal with it? Did they give you your money back? And coincidentally, the other range I was considering is the Bertazzoni. I'm just concerned about the small oven size and then I've read some comments about it needing an oven thermometer (not even sure what that means - you have to use one every time to determine the correct temperature?). I also hate cleaning so on the fence about not having the self-clean function. Which Bert are you getting?

I need to make a decision like yesterday so curious what your thoughts are in looking at the features b/w the two ranges.

• htracey
    12 years ago

Love it! You have inspired me to consider different colored uppers and lowers. Your kitchen reminds me of summer... and strawberry shortcake for some reason...

• paulineinmn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Houseful - I think we're going to try to find some sort of rubber bumpers or stops to attach to the wall to keep the fridge door from hitting the trim on the wall. Something like this, only hopefully more elegant:

Shanghaimom- yes, the floor is original. We thought that only half the space had wood floors, but it turned out the whole thing did, which made me pretty happy!

Lisa - the color on the uppers is BM Paper Mache, from their Aura/Affinity line. I love it. In straight-on sunlight, it's just a little off white, not really any color cast to it. In overhead light at night, it's creamy but not too yellow. When it was wet I didn't think I was going to like it because it had a greenish cast, but that went away when it dried and now I love it. I think it looks vintagey.

flwrs n co - the tall cabs to the right of the hutch are a pullout (on the bottom) and a tall cab with a door (top). The pullout has adjustable shelves in it:

I'll probably store spices/oils/vinegars in that one. The upper one I have no idea! There are peg holes so we could put shelves in there - but maybe I'll just use it for tall flat things that I don't use very often, like platters or trays. The little open thingy that looks like an appliance garage isn't really any particular thing. I'm not sure what I'll put in there yet; it's pretty small. I just wanted a little door there because I saw this picture and thought it made a nice little quirky addition to the space:

I loved that little photo so much that I tried to make my corner look like it as much as possible. Hence the hutch-like cabinet with glass doors sitting on the counter. I also will have a wall sconce but it will not be quite so close to the hutch.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

I enjoy seeing that someone has added potted plants to a construction site. Good karma.

• paulineinmn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm getting a weird error message telling me I can't post two followups to a single message...but I've already done that! Huh. So I'm posting a new one.

Fourkids4us: I liked the look of the cafe a lot. I liked the fact that it had a central, 5th burner that you can put a griddle on, and I liked the second oven. However, when we smelled gas, and the gas company (and then Sears) told us that all 5 burners were leaking, that kinda put a damper on my enthusiasm. Also, only one of the burners fully lit up. The Sears guy told me that there have been lots of issues with the knobs breaking off (they have a very long shaft which is stupidly made of plastic - so they feel very wobbly, and I can see how the shaft could crack easily). Apparently they are pretty expensive to replace. I've since researched the cafe more (in trying to decide whether to replace it or go with another one) and I see others have had knob issues too.

So for all those reasons, I decided to look around. GE/Sears were great; it was within 30 days of installation, and they just came and got it, no problem.

I like the look of the Bertazzoni (I know I shouldn't be so into how the thing looks, but I figure I have to look at it every day, might as well get something that makes me happy when I see it). At first I didn't like the fact that it doesn't have a temperature readout - but when you do a search on this forum (or the gardenweb appliance forum) you'll see that people who own Berts don't find this to be an issue. Some of them have purchased thermometers to put inside the oven (the Taylor connoisseur is supposed to be a good one) but after a while, they seem to get to know the oven and it isn't an issue. The oven is smaller than the cafe, but as others have pointed out, it is at least as big as some of the big-ticket stoves (like LaCornue) - and unlike those more expensive ones, it has a light inside! It's supposed to be really, really easy to clean. I don't know why that would be, but if you search on the forums, that's another thing that owners seem to be happy about.

Also: no electronics means there's less to break on the thing. I'm getting the 30" Professional all-gas stainless steel one:

There's currently a deal where if you buy a Professional or Master range, you can get a hood for free! Any hood! I have to get a weird hood for my kitchen because of cfm and height restrictions - but I'm going to take the free Bert hood and just sell it on Craigslist.

When you search this forum and the appliance forum for Bertazzoni, make sure to read Rococogurl's posts - she's had one for a few years now and has written a lot about it. Here's a thread where I was asking her why she chose the Bert over the cafe:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg051604174025.html

• fourkids4us
    12 years ago

Thanks for your insight. I just got back from the appliance store to take a look at the Berta again as it's been a while since I last saw it. Unfortunately, they only have the 36" on display so I couldn't get a good sense of how big the oven really is. What made you choose the Pro over the Master? The one drawback I have is that I'm limited to propane and I'm not sure which come with propane - I'll have to look at the website again.

I also looked at the GE Cafe again and talked to the sales rep. I asked specifically about the knobs and she said that originally they were plastic but they have replaced them with steel. I thought this might be the case since most of the reviews I read were several years old.

Ugh, I need to make a decision ASAP as I have to have my range installed by a week from Friday.

• paulineinmn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fourkids4us - I would double check the steel thing before I ordered, if it's important to you. I just got mine (installed a few weeks ago) and the shafts were plastic on mine...but maybe they are making new ones with steel and I just got an old one!

I chose the pro because I liked the looks better. I didn't see a lot of difference between the two. I know some people have used propane - I saw posts on that as I was researching Bertazzoni on these forums. It works fine, they said, but you have to make sure something is adjusted correctly (I don't remember exactly what that was - or which models were being discussed - because I just have regular gas).

I think you can get the oven dimensions from the website - that might be enough for you. You could sort of draw it out to size on paper and sort of imagine it in 3D...

Good luck!

• houseful
    12 years ago

Hi Pauline,

I knew someone else was having the same problem as me, so I did a search for "Paper bag" and I found you!

Check out this thread...

Here is a link that might be useful: Solution for Frig Door Hitting Wall