Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zillapgh

looking for pic of stainless pro hood with wood duct cover

zillapgh
13 years ago

Whoops I accidentally posted this to the gallery first. Here goes...

Hello all...

I'm having trouble finding a photo of this kind of hood treatment... a simple 18" high pro hood with a wood duct cover going the full width of the hood (and up to the ceiling). I know I used to have a c.2005 or so Wolf range brochure that had a 60" range with this kind of hood, but it's long gone to the recycle bin. Shame on me.

Ironically, I once saw the exact same kitchen with a Viking range in it's place in an ad for Viking.

The wood duct cover I am thinking of has no detail to disguise it as cabinets, although it matches the cabinets.

But really, any photo you might be able to think of with this kind of thing would be great! Thanks.

Comments (7)

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for. I have a 1600 cfm prestige insert into my wood hood. The hood is 54" wide and 27" deep. This is my kitchen in progress

• zillapgh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! That's gorgeous and I'm also planning on a 48" painted bluestar.

To be more clear, I'm looking for what I guess is a undercabinet pro hood (like the bluestar ones) with a plain boxed in duct cover in wood that matches cabinets, but without it looking LIKE cabinets.

Thanks. Maybe someone will have that old wolf catalog.

• buffalotina
    13 years ago

Here is my vent hood and wood duct cover above: simple maple veneer plywood boxing, painted the wall color.

{{!gwi}}

• sixmagnolialane
    13 years ago

Hi Buffalotina-
    I like your range hood. Can you provide details ~ brand name, model number, etc? What dimensions? Looks like 30 wide, how high and deep? Assume it has baffle filters, halogen lights. Are you happy with it?

The Viking hood I had planned to order is on backorder for a few weeks ... so this as possible alternative.
    Thanks,
    sixmagnolialane

• zillapgh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, buffalotina, that's just about it! It looks terrific, how did you decide to match the wall color and not the cabinet color? I don't know if it would have occured to me to try that but I really like it!

• buffalotina
    13 years ago

The hood is Bluestar/Prestige Pro-Line, 36" wide (over 30" range). It has baffle filters, variable speed 1200 CFM blower (you can get a 600 too), and dimmable halogen lights. It is 24" deep. I LOVE the hood, it is excellent. The design is seamless and the stainless and finish are really nice. The design is great too because the lights are in the center: right where you need them over the stove and then the capture area comes right to the front of the hood. Purchased from Eurostoves with no trouble at all and a good price, especially for the upgraded blower. Trevor also has an excellent knowledge of ventilation.

I saw this treatment of a duct cover, including the crown moulding, in a book called The New Bungalow Kitchen. It was in a 1920 - 1930 style kitchen and when I saw it I knew it was exactly what I wanted. The crown moulding runs all around the kitchen, above all the cabinets too. Although I used the wall color, the wall color is very close to my cabinet color. I like the wall color in this case because I have no cabinets next to the range and also it gives the feeling that the vent hood is sort of floating/hanging in the air. I think it makes it look less bulky and imposing that way. Anyway, apart from that book I have never seen another kitchen done with the hood this way. Perhaps we are starting a trend! Much cheaper than a stainless cover too!

• zillapgh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am planning on ordering all my appliances from Trevor, but had really wanted a Modernaire hood, the barrel one that is popular on this forum. But now I want to move the range position for better functionality and need to do some funky things with running ductwork. I've got a call into Trevor now and maybe I'll be able to fax him a sketch. Thanks for mentioning Trevor. I wouldn't have thought to ask him. I have an architect, but his knowledge of hvac seems to be limited.