Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjzucker7

Cooktop & hood recs, please

szruns
9 years ago

Final decisions are looming . . .

I have chosen (and purchased today!) my new fridge and double wall ovens, and I have chosen my dishwasher . . . I just need to finalize my choices on cooktop and hood.

I've planned space for a 36 inch gas cooktop. I am leaning towards the Bosch 800, but I am open to alternative suggestions. I'd like to stay under $1500 if possible.

What I like about the Bosch 800 is

+ 5 burner config (seems to allow more room for several larger pots than a 6 burner where things are squooshed.)

+ knobs along center PART of the front, so I don't lose any of the 36 inch width (actually 37 I think) and even get to keep the full depth on both sides since the knobs are in the middle in front of the giant burner. This should allow for those several large pots (say, soup pot + large skillet + pasta pot . . .)

+ metal knobs that won't melt or easily discolor

+ level even continuous grates so I can slide pots around without them toppling over.

+ central knobs instead of knobs on one side allow for multiple cooks at once (yes, this happens. Dh and I like to cook together.)

+ overall decent performance reviews

Are there other models or brands I should consider that have some/all of these strengths plus have some other advantages I have no idea about?

FWIW, I don't think I want a range top. They seem to industrial looking to me, and I don't want to get to the $2000+ price range unless there is some substantial advantage. Leaning into the knobs seems awkward, too. So, I'll stick with a cooktop.

FWIW, we cook a lot for a big multi-generational family, entertain regularly, from scratch dinners most nights, multi courses, etc. Multiple cooks is common. We occasionally do asian/wok type stuff, but most is more typical american type meals, so not tons of searing/high heat. More like soups, pastas, saut�ed veggies, sauces, etc.

Secondary question -- hood suggestions please? I'd like a 42 inch stainless chimney style hood with good (ideally LED) lighting. The kitchen will have 10 ft ceilings, and the cooktop is centered between two large windows (with room for a 42 inch hood), so no upper cabinets close by, and I'd like to keep the views as open as possible, thus the chimney style. Cabs will be Shaker style (natural cherry), so I'd like to avoid super modern or curvy looks, so the chimney hood seems best. The cooktops I am looking at seem to require about 600 cfm hoods, but from my many searches here, it looks like the Kobe hoods (more like 1200 cfm) are recommended, and don't cost any/much more than lower cfm hoods, so I am leaning towards the 42 inch Kobe chimney style hood. Any reason NOT to go with the Kobe? Any alternative suggestions? I'd like to stay under $1500 (and will need the extension to get to the 10 ft ceilings) if possible.

(FWIW, my GC/builder assures me that I don't need to worry about make-up air because a) No inspections where I live in the boonies, b) house will be over 5000 sf when this mess is all over and kitchen is open to much of that square footage, and c) house is not terribly tight since the old part was built in the early 90s before building standards required everything to be so tight. We also have windows open most of the year, and people and pets open and close doors ALL DAY LONG, and I know we'll rarely use the hood on high, and then for only a minute or two . . . So, anyway, make up air isn't on the table, regardless of which vent we choose.)

(FWIW, Ovens = Electrolux Wave Touch 30 inch double. Fridge = 36 inch humongous 4 door french door Samsung 31 c.f. Dishwasher will be the Bosch 800, but isn't purchased yet.)

Thanks in advance for your input and for all the great information on this site. I've been reading it obsessively for months, and you've all helped me immensely already, even before I began posting today!

Thanks,
Stephanie