Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persnicketydesign

Pics of our white kitchen for the FKB

persnicketydesign
13 years ago

These pics are long overdue. Sorry, Starpooh!!! Thanks to everyone who helped and gave us such wonderful advice along the way. :o)

We built our own home and did this on a VERY tight budget. The vast majority of the items we used came from eBay and were purchased as we found them. In total it was just over $18,000 for everything (including appliances).

Details to follow.....

Comments (35)

• B H
    13 years ago

WOW! Just beautiful...can't wait to read about the details.

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Paint...Hearts of Palm on walls and Alabaster on cabinets & trim. Both by Sherwin Williams.

Cabinets...Custom made by a local company.

Granite...Uba Tuba with an ogee edge from Atlanta Intown Granite (awesome to work with).

Fridge...48" GE Monogram with custom panels. Only $1500 including shipping!!!

Double ovens...Frigidaire

Cooktop...5 Burner gas-through-glass by Frigidaire/Electrolux.

Dishwasher...GE Profile Smart Dispense w/ custom panel.

Hood Vent...Aztec Pro by Faber.

Faucets...Marielle by Price Pfister.

Stainless prep & main sinks (with grids).

Light fixtures...French Twist by Kalco. We have the matching chandelier in the breakfast area.

The birdcage knobs & pulls all have a black finish.

The floors are solid 3/4" maple (#1 common) in a 4" width. We had them site finished. They are tough as nails!!!

Everything came from ebay with the exception of the cabinets, granite, and paint. :o)

• nancyfay
    13 years ago

It's fabulous! The Uba Tuba looks like solid black, which comes across so crisp.

Is that a mirror over your cooktop? Is the glass or frame treated for protection?

And are you saying you got a 48" Monogram fridge w/panels...for $1500 on ebay? How does that work?

• joanr
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is just beautiful. What a great job y'all did on such a tight budget.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Wow! It looks terrific--and on a tight budget? Score!!!

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! That is a mirror over the cooktop. There are simmer burners at the back and you can barely feel any heat at the level that the mirror is hung.

The auction for the fridge was listed by a new eBayer and had only one lousy picture and a sketchy description. I was leary. I emailed the seller and asked for several odd photos to make sure that he really had the fridge. He did. :o) Then I asked for his phone number so that I could speak to him in person. He was delightful! He said that he & his wife lived in Vegas and had just purchased a home that had this fridge in it. The wife wanted stainless, so they just moved this one to the garage and listed it on eBay. He said that if I wasn't happy with it when it got here he'd give a full refund and pay for return shipping. Hmmm. The way I looked at it was that I could always do a charge back if he didn't follow through and since I'd only be paying $1100 for the fridge I could have a whole lot of repairs done to it if anything was wrong and still come in under the cost of a new one. Anyhoo...I won and happily paid the $400 to have it shipped to me here in GA. I was floored when it got here. Perfect!!!

• sarah_ch
    13 years ago

That is the best 18K kitchen I've ever seen. It is beautiful. Good job!

• donnakay2009
    13 years ago

I love this classy kitchen! The color choices are beautiful. Spectacular job!

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oops! Forgot the disposals. Prep sink has an Evolution Cover Control and the main sink has an Evolution Excel (both by Insinkerator).

The Cover Control is great for the island. There's no need for a switch. Just twist the cover.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

Beautiful and on a budget!!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Unbelievable!

Your kitchen is exquisite, and the price tag absolutely amazing! What a wonderful space!

I was a big ebayer for the kitchen as well, though I didn't find a 48" paneled fridge for $1500--that is outstanding!

Congratulations on a stellar "performance"! :^)

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Beautiful! And on that budget--it's incredible!! Congratulations!!

I've never used EBay--been tempted but concerned about getting ripped off. Maybe I'll give it a try! Thanks for sharing!

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much! I forgot to mention that the two "closets" flanking the doorway (2nd pic from the bottom) are actually pantries. One has food in it and the other houses the microwave and other small appliances.

• tinycastles
    13 years ago

Hi Persnickety,

I'm not trying trying to derail the thread for your beautiful kitchen (well done! I want that fridge!) but I couldn't help but notice your front entry door in the second to last pic. Did you by chance order that from ebay as well? I am looking at buying one from the same company?!?? (different style though) and I was wondering if you would mind giving some feedback regarding the transaction/door quality/etc.

Now on to the important stuff....love the cabinets! LOVE the floors. Sooo jealous of the double pantries. Good idea. Would you mind sharing the size of each one? Also, can you share island dimensions? And I want your mirror, that is beautiful.

P.S. I am the poster who started the very first (and now infamous) "persnickety's world famous spreadsheet" thread. I hope you don't hate me for that:( I really had no idea it would mushroom into such a nuisance for you.

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good to "see" you, tiny! I loved doing the spreadsheet threads!!! That was lots of fun to help everyone. Not that they were really that much help. I miss all my "play time" on BAH. I really need to pop over there and say hi. :o)

The pantries are 40" wide and 22" deep. The island is 9'X4'. The mirror was a cheapie from Kirkland's. It still has the $29.99 price tag on the back. LOL

The front doors did come from Miacom on eBay. I can't believe you recognized them! They were a booger, but we love them now. Are you thinking about doubles or a single? If you're doing doubles, get a really good trim carpenter. LOL They weigh about 700 lbs and shift the first few weeks they hang. Our poor carpenters had to keep adjusting them for weeks. The delivery was a surprise. They will only deliver to the end of your driveway (ours is over 200' long), so it's up to you to get the door to the house. Wish they would have told us that beforehand! DH & I were at lunch when they delivered ours. Fortunately, our framers drove down the driveway to get them and brought them back up to the house.

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

So great! Ebay at it's best! Love your welcoming bright wonderful kitchen.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Persnick, it looks great! Love the mirror over the range. We are having one over our sink. I am doing this because the mirror will be my "window" lol.

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

I really like your knobs and pulls. They are just the right "jewelry" for your kitchen. Hope you really enjoy your kitchen, it's beautiful.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

Wow! Your kitchen is awesome. I just can't get over the fact you accomplished this for 18k. I really love your island. Also, I love your dw panel. I so wish I would have ordered one like yours instead of one that looks like a drawer on top and a door on the bottom. Thank you for sharing the photos and details. Congratulations on a project well done!

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful kitchen and for only $18,000 -- unbelievable!!!

• tracie.erin
    13 years ago

I really love it! It seems almost too elegant to be a kitchen.

• vidaprodiga
    13 years ago

I LOVE your kitchen you did a beautiful job- however I do have to ask, how easy is it to keep the mirror clean over your stove top? Interesting concept- never thought about putting a mirror there, we cook a lot (as we all do in this forum- hence the reason we are in kitchens) and I get a bit of spatter on my stove back and backsplash! I would be interested in your advice.
    Love how your knobs and pulls and light fixtures all flow together!

• doggonegardener
    13 years ago

love love love your wall color.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

I am really impressed. What a beautiful kitchen!

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen so much and the price you paid to renovate it is amazing! The floors also I love since I adore Maple floors and if I could have had solid wood in my townhouse, I would have chosen your floors.

The counters also look perfect in your kitchen and I love all the drawers used!

• angel411
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen and especially your hood over the cooktop...very high-end looking on that moderate budget! Well done!

• gobruno
    13 years ago

Beautiful job! Did you ever post pictures of your entire house on the Building a Home forum (that I missed)? Just wondering bc I'd love to see pictures of your entire house. Thanks for sharing!

• Yvonne B
    13 years ago

Wow - that really is gorgeous!

• lizziebethtx
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen. It's so clean, crisp and classic. I think the mirror is a great idea. I've seen that done in magazines. I also really love your lack of a backsplash. I chose not to do one in my last kitchen and i won't be doing one in this kitchen either. I love how the paint color looks all the way to the counter. I seldom had anything that splashed on the wall. When it did a quick swipe with a damp cloth did the trick. You should be proud that all your hard work really paid off well...literally and figuratively. Enjoy.

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so very much!

Having the mirror over the stove has been great! If anyone is sitting at the island while I'm cooking I can still carry on a conversation without feeling like I have my back turned to them. Our TV is in the den and the kids can see the reflection while they're at the island snacking. Keeps all the food in the kitchen instead of having crumbs in the den. Love that!

The mirror is easier to keep clean than the tile backsplashes that we've had in the past. This just takes a little glass cleaner and a couple of swipes. With tile I always had to scrub the grout which was a booger after frying.

Lynn2006...The whole house was done from scratch. :o) We designed and built it ourselves.

Gobruno...I haven't posted any pics on BAH for ages. I really do need to go back and give everyone an update. We just finished the upstairs game room and guest suite/sewing room which added another 1200 SF. I'm thrilled with the results which were accomplished on a miniscule budget. :o)

Storklady...Thank you so much! I decided not to do a tile backsplash because the area under the cabinets are really the only place I could add in a punch of color.

• gopintos
    13 years ago

Glad to hear about the mirror being easy to clean. It is a very feng shui thing for those stoves that face away from the door. My feng shui consultant would have rathered I put my cook top in the island, but I just didnt want it there so she told me I needed to put a mirror behind the stove. But I was worried about the ease of cleaning. Now that I am starting to turn some attention to backsplash, I am liking the mirror idea more and more after seeing yours.

Thanks for sharing!

• starpooh
    13 years ago

Hi persnicketydesign!

Thank you for giving permission to have your kitchen included in the FKB.

But there is a problem with your photo gallery; your album is password-protected so visitors will not be able to view your photos. (Did you receive my email??)
    I have a few suggestions:

1. Would you be able to remove the password protection so members can see your photos?
    2. Or, if you have other photos that you want to keep private, could you create a new, non-private album and copy your kitchen photos into it?
    3. One other suggestion would be to give me permission to upload all your photos into the FKB photo album. I would upload the 6 photos in your forum post. If you have others you can email them to me and I will also add them to the FKB photo album. (starpooh@gmail.com)

Thanks!

• mary_in_nc
    13 years ago

Lovely choices! Now enoy it!!

• marthasunny
    13 years ago

Where did you get the wood hood cabinet? Do you have 8 foot ceilings?

• persnicketydesign
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eeek! I forgot to come back and check the thread, Starpooh. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back. Please feel free to upload the photos!

Marthasunny, our cabinet makers did the hood cabinet. It's basically a box with with the bottom pushed up 12". That left room for the arch and it still hides the hood vent. The rest is just two doors turned sideways, a ledge, and a small pair of corbels. Super simple. Our ceilings are 9'. :o)