Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinson622

Granite installed today on dove white shaker cabs...pics

robinson622
12 years ago

In this looooooong house remodel (going on month 18) there have been a plethora of choices; granite tops being one of the most difficult I think. Since we have a budget, and a tight one at that, I had to somewhat "settle" for what we could afford. I've read everything about glossy black tops (ours are black pearl) and how they show everything, so waiting for the install wasn't as exciting as I hoped. However, once they were installed I was pleasantly surprised at how they looked with the cabinets. Of course, we aren't living there yet, so I'm sure the crumb/fingerprint/dust issue will rear its ugly head. But... I CAN say that they make me smile when I look into the kitchen.

Of course the worrying isn't over yet!! I'm having a wood island top installed in two weeks, and I hope I'm happy since it's the first thing everyone will see, and I'm sure it will be the most used surface. It's a walnut plank top with approximately 6" wide planks or greater. I'm praying it turns out how I hope. We ordered it from our cabinet maker without seeing a sample. :/

Comments (31)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I'm not a big fan of black granite, but it looks stunning in your kitchen! Somehow when it is combined with yummy white inset cabs, it looks very elegant.

I can't wait to see the rest of the kitchen come together!

• robinson622
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well thank you for the warm words, breezy!!!

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

BEEEEEAUTIFUL! Clean, simple, and elegant. Love the drawer pulls too. Can't wait to see it with the finishing touches in place!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

I am very glad I switched to using alcohol-water (with a little essential lavender oil mixed in) on our black granite (Labrador Golden Flake). I spry it on and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth. Leaves our granite clean,shiny, and streak-free!

• chicken1020
    12 years ago

Hey Robinson, you got your cabinets from Jacob right. Would you mind me asking how much your wood counter is costing you? I'm also interested in getting one and didn't even think about asking him. Thanks, Aileen

• ZacsDaddy
    12 years ago

Very timeless ... the granite looks amazing. (And I love the triple window layout in the kitchen. Look forward to seeing the finished kitchen!

• robinson622
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone!

Yes, chicken, I bought my cabinets from Jacob. I believe they are having someone else make the top, or maybe they're just ordering the materials and making it at their shop. Anyway, the top is 48x81 and the cost is $1,250. It's not the table top type, which looks like a dining table. It's food safe, so I can use it without "too much" worry of damaging it. Oh I hope it's as beautiful as some of the ones I've seen or I'll be so disappointed.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

Beautiful. When I see white, inset cabs with black counter I think "perfect classic, timeless kit". Enjoy!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Dear Robinson622, Beautiful in every way! The black pearl granite looks perfect with your cabinets. And I agree with the other posters that it creates a classic timeless look that will have true lasting power.

I'd love to see a close up of your granite. I'm also interested in your decision to go with a polished granite rather than a honed. I ask because everyone I know lately has selected honed black. Perhaps this is just the style in my town.

• robinson622
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you eandhl.

francoise47 - the decision was very quick. It went something like this...Me: "I'd really like to get the honed granite." DH: "Hon, we have to watch our money. We can't go crazy with this granite here." Me: "You're right. It's fine the way it is." :o)

I had researched the internet with a fine toothed comb, and the information I found was almost 50/50. I was going to go with the AB, but I wanted a little more - not sure of the word - more variety in color. Soapstone would have been another choice, but that wasn't happening on our budget. I also saw some black honed granite on the internet with plenty of reflections, which I thought would be avoided with the honed. So...that's my story.

• robinson622
    Original Author
    12 years ago

francoise - I had trouble getting close pics, because we don't have lighting yet, and it was late.

My kids got the same granite in their bathroom, so maybe you can tell a little better with this pic. Btw - I wanted to do white cabs like the kitchen in their bath, but they all picked the espresso. I figured I'd give them what THEY wanted.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi Robinson, Thanks! I'm always interested to hear how people come to these decisions. I agree with you that AB, although very nice, is a little plain. Black Pearl does have more visual interest so seems like a great choice. I'm going to look for it again next time I'm at the stone yard.

I'm still on the fence about counters, torn between ss, a dark gray quartz, or a dark granite. My architect and other friends keep looking at me like I'm crazy when I say I want soapstone. Outside of GW, in the big wide world out there, ss seems to keep raising eyebrows (about my sanity!)

• michellemarie
    12 years ago

I think it looks gorgeous!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting the bathroom pictures -- in those pictures I can really start to see the subtle texture and detail in the granite. Beautiful! Can't wait to see the rest of your kitchen when you are ready for more reveals. As you can tell from the response, many of us are finding lots of inspiration in your classic choices.

• robinson622
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So kind...

Well, I've received much inspiration from others over the years, so I'm thrilled to be able to pass the torch. I'm eager to see the upper cabinets installed and the rest of the kitchen complete!!!

• chicken1020
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Robinson! I'm sure it will turn out beautifully and I can't wait to see.

• robinson622
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're welcome, chicken. Did you end up getting cabinets from Jacob? Everyone loves the cabinetry when they see them. Very well made. Good luck with the counter. I'll post pics as soon as it's installed.

• chicken1020
    12 years ago

Yes I did and yes I totally love the cabinets. Really crafted well and the installers really did an excellent job too. DH is still in the middle of appliance install so I haven't made any moves on ordering the wood counter. I love that your doing plank style. It's what I had wanted originally but DH wants to cut on it and wanted edge grain. I've gotta let him win a few fights!

• stacieann63
    12 years ago

It looks awesome! The cabinets are beautiful and the stone may show crumbs, but at least you can get them up right away. My granite is so busy, I don't always see all the mess. Good luck with rest of your reno. Looking forward to your finished pics.

• sandn
    12 years ago

Hi Robinson,
    Looks beautiful! We look forward to seeing the island top. I hope it turns out as well as your granite.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Looks great!

We have blue pearl, and although it can show dust, most times I have to run my fingers over it to be sure it's clean. For example, did I spill cofee creamer or is that a fleck, LOL. Really, it doesn't show much dirt at all.

• robinson622
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's funny you say that stacieann, because I've become a bit of a crazy person with the house, especially the kitchen. My new saying is "Get the dust pan and clean up your mess!!" With these dark floors, white cabinets, and dark granite, I have a feeling there won't be anyway of "hiding" the dirt...if ya know what I mean. ;) My kids think I've gone nuts. "When we move into the new house you are going to clean up after yourselves blah blah blah blah" is what they hear I'm sure.

Thanks, sandn! Me too :D

gscience - We loved the blue pearl too. Thanks for the good news!! My life is so busy with kids' activities, I have a feeling the kitchen will be tidy, but will have times when you can't eat off the counters; probably many times.

Oh goodness!!! Don't scare me, chicken...I thought I was able to cut on it!! Jacob said it would be "food safe" and I could cut/chop/dice on it. Although I know I'll still use a cutting board out of habit and a little fear.

I know what you mean about winning fights. I give in every once in a while, unless I am in total disagreement. Out of all of the decisions for the house, I think he's made 2 or 3. Honestly, I usually get "I don't know, Hon." So, I don't bother asking most of the time. :)

• chicken1020
    12 years ago

Don't be scared!! You'll be able to cut on it but apparently the plank shows cut marks a little more than edge grain. End grain is the best at hiding marks but is out of my price range. I don't think the knife marks are a big deal at all. Petestein1 has plank walnut that he uses for cutting and it still looks awesome! Yeah, usually I'm showing him something after its already been bought! :)

• marble_com
    12 years ago

Very sleek and modern, but elegant and inviting at the same time, bravo!

• cplover
    12 years ago

Robinson- your cabinets are simply stunning. Love the hardware-- are you willing to share where you found it?

• cangelmd
    12 years ago

Beautiful and timeless with the inset cabinets.

I think your granite may be more forgiving of spots than you think right now. I have Black Galaxy in a heavily used half bath (granted it is not the kitchen, but is off the kit and gets some peripheral handwashing), and it doesn't spot as badly as I worried. You may have more issues with the floor.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

So far, so good, and the island top sounds like a marvelous choice. Can't wait to see it!

• mythreesonsnc
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Timeless choices, though I'm a bit partial as I just put in light cabinets with a walnut island! Can't wait to see yours!

• robinson622
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Phew! I still don't think I'll cut on it. It will probably have crayon or pen marks on it from my kiddies doing their homework before it has knife marks.

Thank you all so much for the kind words. It really means so much to me.

newbie - I purchased the hardware through my cabinet maker, and it was amerock revitalize in satin nickel. I'm very happy with them. They are very sturdy and there's plenty of room for our hands, without having to scrape against the cabinets.

I don't recall the name of the crystal knobs, but I can do some research if you're interested. I am thrilled with these as well.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Dear Robinson,

Just checking in to see how you are liking your Black Pearl counters and your beautiful new kitchen. We are going with black pearl honed (not soapstone). The harder varieties of soapstone looked too black in our kitchen when oiled. Your kitchen tipped up over into considering a dark granite.