Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Counter tops for extra long island (seam or change of material)?

ontariomom
9 years ago

HI GW!

We will have a large island in our kitchen. We are trying to choose between the following three options

1)Have a seam in the island and have the full 125.5" of length. With both a cooktop and prep sink in the island extra length is a bonus so the prep space between these two elements is optimal. If a seam, where should we place the seam?

2)Reduce the island to 119 inches and hope the fabricators can do it and install it without a seam (the fabricators have expressed worry that they can manage an island that size/weightwithout a seam anyway).

3)Change the counter material for the seating area to a solid coloured quartz (maybe grey) so the seam is purposeful and the seating area is highlighted. I would prefer to use counter height stools so I don't want to raise the seating area counter to bar height. Have you seen this done? I have not found too many images on Houzz of this scenario except a few with butcher block and we prefer both materials to be quartz.

Here is an image of our counter material and the kitchen floor plan. We will also have off-white (Alabaster SW) white perimeter cabinets with Bianco Drift quartz on the perimeter counters as well as the island. Our floors are a medium tone brown hardwood. Please note, we want our cooktop on the island so please no comments about moving the cooktop. At this point, we are happy with the layout and just need to make the fine decisions. We have already given the cabinet company a deposit too.

Counter (ignore off white square):

This one shows the counter, our hardwood (left) and island dark stain (small dark wood on bottom). Ignore the other elements.

Here is the kitchen layout so you can see the island size and seating locations.

Please let me know what you would choose from the list of choices above. Any images of island counters with two counter materials?

Carol

Comments (20)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm having trouble envisioning the dual materials scenario - would the eating area material be in the L shape of the seats, or that whole end of the island?

As far as scenario no. 2, I can tell you my island is 118" (designed for one slab of quartz) and while it was heavy to carry up here, it worked just fine.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks sjhockeyfan for your comments. As per scenario no. 2, the alternate material (thinking light grey solid quartz) would be in an L shape just in front of the 4 bar stools (see dotted line for possible seam location of two quartz materials). We were told by the two granite companies/fabricators that have quoted that the cooktop and sink cut-outs further weakens the slab. They did not say they could not do it at the length of 119", but expressed concern and no promises to be seamless.

Carol

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Carol:

Fabricators can get 120" out of a sheet of quartz and sometimes by luck an inch or two more. Cut outs do weaken the top during transport, but there are mechanical supports which make this irrelevant. If you can't get fabricators to promise 120" with no seams and no broken tops, get a different fabricator.

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

We have done many islands 120" or more. The largest one piece was 138" x 78". As long as it will fit in the doorway it should be do-able.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trebruchet,

Thanks for your help. I did not realize that some sheets of Quartz are by luck occasionally an inch or so larger than 10 feet. We were told by one that the maximum usable inches is 119".

Kevdp4,

The maximum slab length for this Quartz by Ceasarstone is 120". The Bianco drift we have chosen does not come in a jumbo size which I assume was what you have experience with for the 138" X 78" sizes you have done. However, good to know you have been able to get a slab that long safely installed. The health and safety inspectors seem to be cracking down in our area on the stone counter suppliers for fear of employee injuries. Our door way is a double door so should not be too much of an issue to get it into the house.

All:

As per the idea of changing materials for the seating area in the L shape, I am not sure, but would it not compromise the strength of the island counter to have the seam so close to the edges where it is an overhang and supported by corbels?

How bad would a seam look if we wanted to go the full 125.5"? Would a seam along the cooktop be the best place? Our cooktop is to be a Thermador induction.

Thanks,

Carol

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

If I could sacrifice 7" or so to avoid a seam, I'd do it.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

(Sorry, must be the friday night wine...er...beer).

Edited for off color humor.

This post was edited by OOTM_Mom on Fri, May 2, 14 at 19:00

• Amy Sumner
    9 years ago

I agree with Treb. Our island is 118'' x 60''. No seam in the granite. Beautiful. I held my breath the entire time they were cantilevering it into place. I'd certainly try to size the island for a one-piece install. (My granite guys were ah-mazing!)

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

I hate seams. I absolutely hate seams in granite!! I have a Long Island and designed it so I would have a baking area at the end. So the one end is lower and I absolutely love it. My kitchen is an absolute disaster right now and if I posted a pic someone might report me to health and human services, but I promise to post a pic later or tomorrow morning.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any more votes on which scenario is best? Thanks for your votes and opinions Trebuchet, michellmarie and sum5463 and your humour, OOTM.

Carol

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

How about a stripe? A thin section of a different material in the middle, so it looks like a design element? Or 2 small sections on either end?

I don't think I would want the one end a different colour from the rest, so putting in something different would not be my vote.

I think my first choice would be to seam it at the stove top.

In my own island, I'm reducing it to get a full slab with no seam. But that's only because I'm doing butcher block, and a seam in the wood would be so much more noticeable. And, I don't have anything in the island to reduce the seam area.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

DaveLinde:

Seams through the center of sinks are not a problem. If your fabricator says it is, get another fabricator. Epoxy or methacrylate seam adhesive only, no polyester. The edges should line up perfectly with no machining on site.

If you want a seamless look, get a solid surface countertop. Your wife can have a seamed undermount stainless steel sink these days with the Edge series from Karran.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I have not found too many images of an island with two different counter materials (unless you change heights). This was one of the few I found. That probably means that this option should be scratched off the list.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Chevy Chase Kitchen & Bath Designers Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath

• sas95
    9 years ago

We have both quartz and butcher block on our 1- level island. I like it because it breaks up what would otherwise be a massive expanse of Caesarstone.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sas95,

Thanks for your comments. I would love to see a picture of your island.

All:

Here is my island plan up close. Where would it be best to trim the inches if I go to one slab at 119". I feel I could spare some to the the right of the cooktop. I am less in favour of taking much from the space between the cooktop and sink. Where would you trim to get one seamless slab?

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

amberm,

The idea of a stripe of different material in the middle is intriguing - thanks for your thoughts. I may go your route of just reducing the island to go seamless. What elements do you have on your island (e.g.prep sink, cooktop, both or neither)?

Carol

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm a little unclear on the picture - on the left you show 24" for dishes (pegs are a waste of space by the way), then 18" and 27" (for what ?)

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan,

The 18" inch cabinet may be another garbage and the 27" a drawer stack likely for school supplies, junk drawer, etc.. However, we will need to adjust all the cabinet sizes if we shrink the overall length of the island.

Yes, we have read to skip the pegged drawers, just had that written on the plan from a long time ago. The dish drawers open towards the DW (opens on the short end of the island).

Carol

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

15" to the right of the cooktop is pretty minimal, IMO. I would take some inches from both trash pullout and 21" cab to the left instead. 15" trash and 18" cab. Half inch from the right side if necessary.

I do not know much about seaming, but if you were to do two slabs I would place a seam alonside the cooktop or to the left of it, aesthetically.