Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buildinva

What do you think of this tile?

buildinva
10 years ago

I'm considering one of these 2 larger tiles for the walls of the shower stall and the 1x1 mosaic for the shower floor. The mosaic is a Ming green marble which I love, and we prefer a small mosaic for the floor. For the walls, I would lay the tile on the horizontal. Would love to hear any opinions!

(I know this is the kitchen forum, but there are so many tile discussions here that I was hoping to sneak in!)

Comments (22)

• tadhg555
    10 years ago

We have that large tile on the left (or something very much like it) as the backsplash in our kitchen. We love it. It's elegant but understated and it lets other elements take center stage.

I think it looks terrific.

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

I see an awful lot of pink in the left tile. Is it my monitor?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

They seem to look really good together. Can see some pink on the far left, maybe reflection?

Why on the horizontal? It looks like running water.

• pseudochef
    10 years ago

I think either one would look really nice. The one on the right looks a bit more natural to my eye and the one of the left looks a bit more modern to me.

What brand is the mosaic tile? I'm looking for a backsplash idea and that tile might be really nice for my area.

• rosylady
    10 years ago

I think the one on the right has a little more natural look which compliments the earthiness of the mosaic.

Very pretty tile choices.

• Linda
    10 years ago

I really like them. What kind of tiles (brand? name?) are the larger ones? I'm also thinking of doing something similar for my bath!

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

Gorgeous tile. Based on how the colors appear on the screen, my preference is the right. Love that tile!

• corgimum
    10 years ago

They look great together. But you may regret so many grout lines on the floor. Water + grout = mold and mildew living space. Also marble tile may be slippery.

This post was edited by corgimum on Wed, May 8, 13 at 9:50

• lmsscs
    10 years ago

I like the mosaic a lot. We did a white carrara mosaic in my guest bath it looks great. If I had to pick one I would go with the one on the left. We are putting a shower in our 1st floor bath I am going to have to consider ming for the floor.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

From what I see on my screen, the right one goes much better with the mosaic.

• cathy725
    10 years ago

I like the right one also. Love the floor mosaic. It took me forever to choose my floor tile for my shower (which they are working on right now). I hope I like it once it's installed--either way I guess there's no turning back.

My thoughts on size and slickness--my GC said no larger than 2x2 on the floor, so your size is good. Plus the grout lines should provide the friction needed so it won't be slippery. I'm no expert, but that's what I've read in other places.

• laurajane02
    10 years ago

Here's what we did with our ming green bathroom floor (sorry about the reflection):

{{!gwi}}

• lala girl
    10 years ago

Love the tiles - a friend is doing something similar and there are tons of pics on Houzz featuring showers with those sized tiles on the horizontal if you want to see examples of it in use. Enjoy!

• barbja
    10 years ago

>>They look great together. But you may regret so many grout lines on the floor. Water + grout = mold and mildew living space. Also marble tile may be slippery.Actually, with tiles that small, there's a lot of grout (like you said) and its not slippery at all.

I've had 1x1 tumbled yellow onyx on my shower floor for about 5 years and no mold problems. It was sealed before it was grouted, then again after it was grouted. The walls of my shower are walker-zanger hand made tiles that the contractor insisted on putting big grout lines on (to my dismay). I thought that I was in for a moldy nightmare. But suprisingly the only problem that I had was in a single bead of caulk that I put in myself between the base of a window and the wall tile. I didn't use mildew-resistent caulk. Its mildew-resistent now! (I hate caulking)

Just make sure you keep it clean and vent the bathroom well and run the vent every time after you shower. If you put a timer switch on it, then you won't worry about forgetting to turn it off.

• buildinva
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The tile on the left is Kiev Blanco 20x60cm. It's $4.69 sq/ft from The Tile Shop. http://testd.tileshop.com/floortile/ceramicfloor/Kiev-Blanco/2449.aspx

On the right is Onyx Stripe Krem 20x50cm. It's $5.39 sq/ft from The Tile Shop. http://www.tileshop.com/product/productdetail.aspx?familyID=2344&recordID=404398

I don't think either read as pink, that was just the bad lighting.

The green is 1 in. x 1 in. Ming marble for $9.90
    http://www.marblenthings.com/1X1-Ming-Green-Marble-Polished-Mosaic-Tiles-p/1x1-p-ming.htm

Laurajane I LOVE your floor! What is the name of the pattern?

• laurajane02
    10 years ago

Buildinva ~ Thanks! It's the ming green sunflower mosaic. A few here have used it for their kitchen backsplash (I'm planning to as well). The ming green is mixed with white thassos marble, so white ceramic seemed to be the best choice for wall tile (it also offset the cost of the marble).

Here's a better photo:
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunflower tile

• benlinus
    10 years ago

I also like the right one. Love the mosaic floor. It took me forever to choose your floor board for my soul (who are working now). Hope you like as it is installed - in any case,Last day i just find out some more different type of
    Bathroom Tiles while searching on internet, looks nice and decent.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Just love the tile! I like the one on the right as well.

Laura, your Ming tile is gorgeous! I would love that for a bs!

• prill
    10 years ago

LauraJane - how much is the mosaic tile per square foot, do you remember?

• laurajane02
    10 years ago

I paid $18 per sq foot (in Canada)

• prill
    10 years ago

thanks Laurajane

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Pretty! I clipped it for the future :-)