Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kooops

Where to move microwave?

Kooops
9 years ago

We are heading into the home stretch of a light reno of our main floor. We are currently having hardwood laid in our family room and a small bump out we added to the kitchen. After that I'll be ready to paint my cabinets (which I've had another thread for in the past).

My question is about moving the microwave. I want to put in a proper venting hood and lose the OTR microwave. I do not like microwaves that just sit on the counter but it looks like that may be my only choice.

I use it daily for small things but enough that I don't want to put it in the pantry. We are installing a new island- there was one there before and was removed for the floor. It will only grow by one 18in cabinet which is a simple door base I needed to house other things in my kitchen. In hindsight perhaps putting it in the island would have been a good idea but now I'm thinking that next to the refrigerator may be my best bet.

I was thinking of maybe building a cabinet attached to that existing cabinet so that it is not just sitting out. Since I am painting everything I could make it match. I could even move the toaster in there if I go with a smaller microwave.

Does any other spot jump out for a new home for the microwave? Or a way I can conceal it or make it look built in?

Overall layout from family room

New added bump out for small breakfast table

View to family room- there is a small somewhat useless desk area in the corner.

Possible new home for microwave/

Comments (12)

• amck2
    9 years ago

I really like the window in your bump out. What a bright & cheery spot that will be to enjoy breakfast!

I think the spot by the fridge is a good place to park the microwave. It will be out, but not nearly the focal point it is above the range. It will be at a practical height and won't be robbing you of prep space. You'll have your island as a landing spot for things from the fridge.

Too bad the rarely-used desk area is too far from the work zone to do something there for it.

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

Next to the fridge is probably the best bet, although my parents' microwave ended up on their kitchen desk and it worked out to be a pretty good spot for it, closer to the kitchen eating area, and out of the main work zone.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Take the doors off the cabinet next to the fridge. Put the microwave in there. You may need to buy a new mw if you don't have a shallow depth one.

• Kooops
    Original Author
    9 years ago

amck- thanks! Yes, the light filled space is wonderful. Especially since this is the north side of our home and was quite dark and drab before. With the bump out we were able to capture the morning and later afternoon east and west sun and it's changed the feel of the back of the house!

I too wish I could better utilize that desk space. I was thinking to maybe remove the doors of that cabinet next to the fridge and add a shelf for the microwave but I really need to conceal some stuff in that cabinet. Perhaps I could order new shorter doors for the top half?

debrak2008- I've not been able to find a microwave that fits in a standard 12" upper. Too bad that cupboard wasn't originally deeper.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I LOVE your new breakfast nook, especially with the sun streaming in! The windows are gorgeous. What color are the walls?

I'll add my vote to the cabinet next to the fridge.

Can you move the stuff that has to be concealed? I think it would be a great spot for cookbooks.

Next best might be the desk. I would at least try to to see how it works; you can always move it to the cabinet later. I wouldn't like it on the counter by the fridge, since that's premium fridge landing zone - but if it turns into a clutter magnet, a small MW there might be preferable.

It's so hard to know, until you live in the space for a while.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

GE spacesaver. I have one. The mw is 12 1/2" deep. It sits on an open shelf that is 11 1/2" deep. I love it.

Others on GW have it to. I'll try to find some pics.

Attached a link. If you scroll down you will find a pic or two. Or just google images "gardenweb ge spacesaver" and you find find lots.

Here is a link that might be useful: ge spacesaver

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Fri, May 2, 14 at 14:52

• PRO
    User
    9 years ago

I'd recommend the under counter microwave in the island. It has controls on the top and is designed for under a counter. It rolls out like a drawer. My clients love them and they don't spill the soup or the coffee when they open. Sharp is the most reasonably priced model.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharp drawer microwave

• Kooops
    Original Author
    9 years ago

annkh- thanks! The color is a glidden color called warm caramel. I do not care for their paint so I had it color matched at BM.

As far as the microwave placement, I was considering re-organizing the cabinet so I could leave them as open shelves. Its a possibility, but I would prefer doors. As I was recently looking on Houzz I saw this photo which is exactly what I would want (if I can convince my dh to do some cabinet modifications!!)

[Eclectic Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by Indianapolis General Contractors Wrightworks, LLC

debrak- I have seen discussion on the particular microwave but I cannot seem to find it and it appears that it is discontinued? Am I missing something?

Trentsteff- the island is already a done deal. I have the cabinets in my garage and unfortunately even the cheaper end drawer microwave is out of my budget!

Our floors were finished today- YAY!! And we'll soon be finishing out the island and island lighting and then I can get to painting when the rest of our projects settle down! (we just had a new in-ground pool installed and concrete pool deck was done today too!!)

It's nice to be heading somewhat into the home stretch!
    Thanks for the responses.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I just called GE. They changed the "branding" of that microwave. If you look at mw's with the code PEM31..... they are 12 7/8" in depth.

Here is a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: ge shallow depth

• Kooops
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THANK YOU debrak! I appreciate you following up on that and linking for me. I really like the look of that microwave!

I also found this open shelf option on houzz and I like the built in look of the microwave with the trim kit. Now to decide on open shelves or doors......

Thanks again!

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Phoenix Design-Build Firms Pankow Construction - Design/Remodeling - PHX, AZ

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

As long as you have to make new doors anyway, start with open shelves; add doors if you don't like the look.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I like that kitchen! Keep us posted!