Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyzkitchen

White Shaker cabinets on order -- chamfered corners???

JoyzKitchen
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,
I am just starting my kitchen reno. I have ordered white shaker style cabinets with a dark stained island. My contractor is insisting that I should have chamfered corners on my cabinets. I originally told him that I didn't want them but he is saying that it is a high-end look and he orders them for his kitchens. He said it gives a more custom look and is better for wear and tear. Do any of you have chamfered corners on your cabinets? I would love to see pics especially if you have a white shaker style kitchen. I am going to have some contemporary elements and my initial impression was that they would make the cabinets look more ornate/traditional. Please help me decide. Thank you

Comments (7)

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

2LittleFishies has one of the prettiest kitchens on GW. Well, anywhere, IMO. Her cabs are gorgeous and have chamfered corners. Does it read even slightly contemporary? Not to my eye.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2LittleFishies kitchen reveal

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

The modern kitchen aesthetic is square edges and corners. Chamfered is fine and very pretty. Nice for provincial or traditional kitchens like the one linked. Contractors often like to imagine themselves designers, and many are decent with design details. My concern would be a cabinet co set up to do one thing when you want something else.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Wed, May 15, 13 at 15:55

• lafacia
    10 years ago

I like the clean lines of a shaker door and did not choose chamfered. (no photos as my cabinets are not built yet). I feel like it's one of those decisions that you can't really go wrong with but for that reason I decided to stick with my gut feeling that I like the clean straight lines better. In my last kitchen I had a slight variation on it and while it was really pretty and the kitchen looked great, I always felt annoyed that I let myself get talked into or sidetracked into getting something slightly different than I had originally wanted.

• JoyzKitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all of the input. I love 2littlefishes kitchen and I really appreciate all of the close up photos.

Thank you lafacia. I agree with you. I don't think I will ever regret the straight corners but there is a chance that I might regret the chamfered corners.

We aren't heavy kitchen users (2 adults living with a teenage son) so I don't think we will bang them up.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

You know, I think some stuff gets exaggerated. I would expect the majority of kitchens have 90 degree doors and corners and the one thing I've rarely seen any complaint about is that. My cabinets are going on 10 and the doors and corners are wearing really well. And they're painted, and supposedly delicate. And inset which is supposed to create cracks -- and maybe I'm lucky but there is just none of that stuff.

The sole area of wear on the edge of a cabinet is on the trash pullout and that's even very slight. The handle on my DW panel is feeling a little soft lately and there might be a time ahead where I need to remove the panel and tighten the screw. A couple of cabinet knobs have needed that.

I can see hinges as an issue but not what this contractor is raising in terms of significant wear on corners.

Get what you want and love, not what he thinks you should have because someone else has it.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Wed, May 15, 13 at 16:03

• PRO
    Laurie Brasnett
    9 years ago

A customer found your older thread so I shall respond here also just in case someone else needs some reliable information. A good K&B designer looks at wear and tear also: your kitchen will be around for a long time and we want it to function well and look great for the next 20 years.

Your contractor is likely trying to keep you happy long term and avoid disappointing warranty call backs. Yes, upscale kitchens do go with all the little details that wear better and the customer often does not pay for it. IMHO, chamfered corners look best on chamfered shaker doors. Ask for all your options if this detail is important to you.

I avoid 90 degree corners because you can add so many better profiles that coordinate with the actual door design and crown profiles.

Things to consider in modern design... Ultra modern looks best with another finished edge to add distinctive shadow lines. The 90 degree square is fabulous in acrylic or metal edged doors becasue the crispness is caught in the actual material.

2 little fishes' yellow kitchen is gorgeous and because of the style would look fine with timely wear on edges. It is a highly ornate kitchen, not a simple design that Joyz is considering.

If you do use a profile on edges ensure that every exposed edge has a profile.