Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My granite has a crack!

Posted by rkb21 (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 21:40

Our granite was installed on Friday and I noticed a crack in it :(

Yes, a CRACK. I didn't really know what to do and was very upset by the whole thing. Luckily the fabricator has been great about working with me on this. He sent someone out there immediately to look at it and try to do something about it, but it really didn't fix the area. I thought we were doomed because there wasn't any more granite left from our slabs. BUT, today, he called me into the shop and gave me a large slice to take home to see if the coloring of another slab he has would work...I think it's a good match. Now, I'm really nervous about the removal process.

Anyone with any advice on removing a piece and trying to replace it?

Here's a couple of pictures of the crack:
IMG_3484

The piece they are replacing is at the end of the run of counters and is about 38inches wide.

IMG_3384

I'm nervous about the seam match, the removal of the counter piece and if it will cause damage to the underlying cabinets or cause damage to the adjacent granite piece.

I'm wondering if there is anything that I need to be careful of during this process.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: My remodel progress

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My granite has a crack!

Yes, he broke it, he needs to replace the whole thing. You shouldn't have to settle for a almost matching piece on a new install.

o

A bit of epoxy should fix that right up without replacing it at all. It will be stronger there after the fix than before. It's really not a big deal as long as he can get the color match looking good.

o

The piece is coming from a slab that would be a great match, at least it looks to be a good match.

Hollysprings: they came and tried to fix it but it didn't look much better. Also, you can follow the crack line to the back of the counter. You can only feel the step in the front, though.

o

Unfortunately cracks happen sometimes even if the fabriocator does everything tight.

Sounds like your fabricator is dealing with it appropriately and so are you. A matching slab is a very acceptable way to go.

o

Oldryder: thanks for the input. The fabricator has been helpful. Any issues I should be aware when they remove the existing slab? I'm worried about damaging the underlying cabinets and the slab next to it that it is seamed with.

Thanks!

o

I think you need to trust the company and let them worry about it. They seem to be stepping up nicely. Ask them the same questions you are asking here. Good luck. Betcha it comes out great. Dealing with natural products means dealing with inherent flaws of nature.

DH is a jeweler. Stones break once in awhile. Same with stone counter tops.

o

RK, so sorry this is happening but your fabricator sounds great! So nice to see a company stepping up to the plate.

o

Thanks everyone! The fabricator is planning to remove the piece next Thursday, template the area, have me come to the shop for the layout on the granite, fabricate it and install all in the same day....hope it all goes as planned!

o

Good luck! I can't wait to see it all installed! I just love your kitchen!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here