Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for Karin Mt

Posted by southernmum (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 21:39

Hey Karin - you're so knowledgable about granite, I just had to post this in case you're still around! I appreciate your great response on my Absolute Black post earlier. Since you know about this sort of thing, here goes another question, please: the granite I picked out for my island is a gorgeous slab of Winter Springs from Brazil. With all my research on granite this evening, I've discovered that a lot of granite from Brazil does have higher radon/uranium content. Would this be a deal killer, or no big deal? (*Can you tell that I have to sign away on all my granite and quartz tomorrow?!) Many thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for Karin Mt

Hi SouthernMum,

That's a good question. I tried to look up Winter Springs granite but didn't find it.

What color is it? Uranium is found in true granites which are light in color. So you can rule it out if it's darker.

Either way, I don't think it's a deal killer. You can find scary stories about radioactive granite online but it's not prevalent. I wish I had a definitive answer for you, but it varies with every rock so there's not much I can tell you in absolute terms.

I would definitely not say that granite from Brazil is categorically risky. Brazil is a big place with lots of different rocks. We'd really need more info about the specific rock, rather than a blanket statement.

That said, I'd be interested to see the link where it says that, because I've never heard that before. Also, post a photo of Winter Springs so we can see what it really is.

Hope that helps!
Karin

o

It says Winter Springs on the slab, and made in Brazil. I love the way it looks!!

o

Duh,me!!! - it's WHITE SPRING! I don't know why I have such a mental block when it comes to the name of this granite! I went back and checked my photo of the tag on slab. Sorry, Karin! Hope this helps!!

o

The part on the left is granite pegmatite, so yeah that counts as granite, sure enough. But beyond that I really can't speculate.

Since you asked the original question I've been reading up on this topic, but there's no way to tell what's in a given rock aside from testing it. I know this is not very helpful, sorry! I still don't think I would worry about it though - the risk seems awfully small.

o

Karin, thank you so much for your help, and for taking the time to read up on this for me! Many, many thanks!

o

I found some nice research that actually addresses these questions, if you feel like staying up all night reading.

Here is a link that might be useful: Radioactivity and radon in granite countertops

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here