Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabjimata

Delorean or Dove Gray Grout: Your opinion please!

sabjimata
13 years ago

We are a few weeks away from tiling. White subways from Lowes will be going up on a wall of white cabinetry, carrara tops and unoiled soapstone sink.

I want gray grout. From the pics I've seen and stuff I've read, Delorean and Dove Gray are in the running.

Some pics the Delorean looks really dark and some it looks as light as the Dove. I do want contrast; I don't want it to look like I am trying to hide dirt.

Pictures and opinions appreciated!

Comments (23)

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

Dove grey. :-) But that's a personal choice. I think the Delorean Grey is too strong a contrast.

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay. I'm going with the expert's opinion.

For my other tile, Hakati classic in a green and teal...standard white or ivory?

Also, there will be porcelain Hakatai classic on a support post coming up from cabinet....carrara countertops. Should I do the Dove gray on this too? Opposite wall from subway and very near green tile. Or would you recommend another?

I am really interested in your opinion, oh Tile Guru!

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

Let me ask you first-- where is this green and teal going to be in relation to the white subways?

• pepperidge_farm
    13 years ago

Well, because my kitchen is "rustic", aka beat up a bit and worn, and I wanted an inexpensive tile to update the backsplash, the shiny white subway was the way to go. I found clearance slate mosaic for under 2 bucks for the 12" strip to balance out the shiny tile. This project is to bridge the gap until we get around to a total tear out.

The grout needed to balance the darker slate and the white subway. Wanted a meatier feel as well, we went with the Delorean gray. (really didn't want to do 2 different grouts this time, this was meant to be a small project :-)

I got the effect I wanted in my space, but if everything is shiny and fresh and new, the lighter gray would probably look sleeker.

You can see the grout in the pic- the lighting is pretty accurate to the way it looks.

This is how it looked after many improvements, but before the tile:

And I have found wonderful uses for all my spare tiles around the kitchen!!

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmmm... I like your Delorean ;)

Bill--here is my layout.

So.....the big stretch of wall with uppers is where the white sub will go. Over the 60" sink, no uppers, tiled to the ceiling

The two 36" cabs will have teal colored Hakatai classic mosaic.

The 60" wall behind the ranges will be green Hakatai classic mosaic. The tile will wrap around the wall and cover the other side, where a white fireclay sink will be.

Post at the end of the island--on your left looking at pic--coming out of center of island. That will have the porcelain mosaic tile.

Kitchen is weeks away from being done, but there is a link below to show the lack of natural light in the place.

Here is a pic of a look I do like from an art exhibit going on in NYC right now:

(Exhibit in old meat locker)

Here is a link that might be useful: wish i had windows

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

If I might make a suggestion-- instead of using the grey grout for the subway tiles, why not use a beige or ivory for ALL of it? That'd tie the two tiles in together very nicely, and in the case of the subway tile, have the same effect of accenting the brick pattern while not overpowering the tile.

(this is why I asked before I answered. :-) )

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm....My thing is I really *hate* a wall of white tile and grout. I definitely want to see the grout lines. We had standard white grout on our carrara backsplash in our last house and I really wasn't pleased with it. I much preferred the look of the grout when it was *wet.*

What do you think of Silverado for the subway?

Do you have pics of ivory in a white tile application?

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

I just did a tub surround about 3 weeks ago with that combination, but I didn't take any pics.

Which grout manufacturer are you going with?

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, we are going to get our grout at Lowes, so that is all the info I have at this point.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Grout will drive you to drink if you're not careful. Sabji, for what it's worth, here's Laticrete's Silver Shadow on white Olean gloss subway tile. A lighter shade of gray than Delorean but still quite dirt-hiding.

close-up:

distance:

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

sabjimata-- they you'll be using Laticrete's grout, most likely, although some Lowes have switched to Mapei. I'll list a couple from each so you can take a look.

The #88 silver shadow that circuspeanut is showing would be the grey color from Laticrete that I'd recommend. From Mapei, it's be Warm Grey. I'd still recommend going with something along the lines of a beige or ivory, though. From Laticrete, that would be #23 Antique White or #17 Marble Beige. Either one would give you the effect in the green and teal you're looking for, and still be just dark enough to make the tile pattern in the subway tiles stand out.

In Mapei, the beige colors would be Bone or Ivory.

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

Here is Delorean Gray.

The tile is called virginia gray.

• pepperidge_farm
    13 years ago

Yep, Casey and debrak's pics are why I went with the Delorean gray.

Like Bill said, I used a beige tone grout in my bathroom to give some definition to the grout lines while staying warm with the rest of the stone in the room. Gray would not have mixed well there.

The lighter gray shade Bill shows is just a little more delicate. Kinda depends on the look you are going for.

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you ALL for your input.

I am thinking to go with the Antique White, as per Bill's recommendation, for the mosaic tile, including the porcelain. I have to admit, I am liking the Delorean Gray pics, especially appreciating Sombreuil's with the Lowe's tile.

Thanks so much, everyone!

• kbanton
    13 years ago

Can someone please tell me where I can find TEK Dove Grey grout?!

I'm having white subway tiles set tomorrow morning (5/26) and just changed my mind from white grout to grey. Is this something my tiler has to custom mix?

I saw a picture on this forum with grey grout, love it. The homeowner said it was TEK unsanded grout in Dove Grey. Thank you!

• kbanton
    13 years ago

Sabjimata,

Who is the manufacturer of these colors? I can not find dove grey (other than in postings of pictures) anywhere!

Thank you for your help!

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kb---Below is the link of the colors I have been referring to onling. I believe you can get this grout at Lowes.

Here is a link that might be useful: grout colors

• ci_lantro
    13 years ago

KBanton--Do you have Menard's in your area? I'm pretty sure that Menard's carries Tek. At least, they used to.

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

It is actually "TEC"...might help her find it.

• segbrown
    13 years ago

This might be too dark, but I actually went with Pewter (Custom Building brand) ... I was thinking I'd go DeLorean or similar, but kd said go darker. (Tile is bigger, grout joints are very narrow.) I said Ok, then the next day had a freak-out and said, No, too dark, but tile guy got there early and it was already done. And I love it. So ... maybe something to think about ...

• segbrown
    13 years ago

Of course, now that I re-read things, you are going with lighter counters than I did. One reason kd wanted darker was to tie in with the counters better ... and not introduce a separate color, I guess. Anyway, as I said, just food for thought.

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Seg! How funny you should post. I was looking at your kitch (one of my faves, you know) on the FKB and could not for the life of me find out what GROUT you used! And then you chimed in here on this thread. Ahhhhh.

I think I am going to go with the Delorean. People's dark grout is making me feel good about it.

Seg, our counters are carrara *but* our sink is soapstone. We are going to (hopefully) keep it unoiled.

I think the grout will tie in with the sink nicely because it is sort of the inverse coloring of the cararra and all the cabs on that wall and most of the hardware is white. So on that wall there will be our stainless steel fridge, bottom cabinet hardware in sn, sn faucets, gray and white mirror and then the carrara (lots of gray veining) white knobs on uppers and white tile.

Thanks so much for your grout input.

Here is a link that might be useful: my soapstone sinky-poo!