Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hcf1

We have cabinets...very excited!

hcf1
15 years ago

The cabinetman will be back out tomorrow for round 3 of installation. The trim work is supposed to go up tomorrow too and then the electrician should be out Friday or Saturday to give us light! The fridge surround is a bit too small so that is going to come down and will take a little bit of time to get reconstructed. DH ordered the soapstone slabs this past Monday from M. Teixeira Soapstone out of New Jersey. We have been working with Maria Rocha and she has been ever-so-helpful as we purchased Black Venata slabs sight unseen. We live in Va Beach and could not get up to NJ. We sure hope we're in good hands!

Here's some pics!

Comments (24)

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

Congrats on getting your cabinets! Ours are supposed to be installed next week and I can't wait - yours are beautiful!

Patti

• msrose
    15 years ago

It looks gorgeous already! Are those considered shaker style or is that a recessed door. Whatever it is, I really like it.

Laurie

• jtalb
    15 years ago

Yeah for you!!! They look great :)

• lynw
    15 years ago

Is that bench seating? Will it have storage? Looks great.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

oh they're gorgeous!!! how exciting to see them going in!

is that your gc in the picture? heh heh he's cute!

• jujybean
    15 years ago

Hurray, welcome to the wonderful world of new cabinets. They are tres chic. I love that you are getting a farm sink and that you have a shelf over your sink too! That is dovetailing isn't it? The drawers and doors I mean.

• sheilaann
    15 years ago

hcf1 , can we see some pics with the doors open. I would like to see inside of the cabs including the the hinges, door stops etc. TIA.

• hcf1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone! I quickly snuck in to the kitchen b4 the contractors arrived - I don't feel like it's mine yet :)

msrose (I love your name, my Grandmother's name was Stella Rose aka Ms. Rose) I guess we could describe the cabs as shaker with an added inset bead. I really wanted applied molding but that was a budget buster for us. Our cabinet maker jumped in to play the role of "designing for the sexes" and came up with a door design that fell w/in our budget (for DH) and gave me the look I was dreaming of.

lynw - that will be bench seating with piano hinged tops so that I can store as much stuff as I can in it.

jujybean - thanks so much! The door is actually 1 piece and then hand routed by our cabinet maker.

sheilaann, here's the pics you were asking for.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Your cabinets are gorgeous!!! Nice to see inset cab doors with flat front drawers as that's what we're getting. Be-yutiful!!!!

• redroze
    15 years ago

Just a few questions - what colour of white did you use on your cabinets? Also, how tall are your ceilings? Ours are 8 feet and we have 3 shelves (2 and a bottom) like yours, and our upper cabs are 30 inches, so I was considered with having too much vertical space between each shelf (10 inches). It seemed too high as most wine glasses are only 8 inches at most, and I didn't want to make these tall stacks.

Thanks in advance!

• hcf1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Igloochic - Thanks! I've been following GW for the past year b4 starting the remodel. Your insight and experience has helped guide many of us newcomers and for that, I know, we are all grateful.

I actually caught my 4 yr old with a hammer heading thru the garage toward the kitchen. I quickly asked him where he was heading - he happily chimed "to go fix the new cabinets". I thought I was going to fall over! I redirected him and his hammering talent elsewhere. Could you imagine??? :)

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I love those cabinets! They are Shaker style but with a bit of an interesting detail that sets them apart and makes them all yours! I also really love the blue on the walls -- it's a very soothing, calming color, and I hope it stays. I may be in the minority here :( because some are getting rid of their blue :( Is the niche above the sink for tchotchkes or does it have a designated function?

• hcf1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

redroze - the cabinet color is called Silver Lining by Campbell Paints. They are out of Richmond, Virginia. It's actually a cross between soonermagic's cabinet color and mrslimestone's cabinet color. Our ceilings are between 7'10" and 7'11" - a bit on the short side. We've just referred to the ceiling height as an unique application for a 1965 beach ranch :) Our regular uppers are 30". We just lost a little head room between the counter top and the bottom of the uppers, but not enough to impact us in any way. Hope this helps & good luck with your event as well. I look forward to seeing your progress. H

• redroze
    15 years ago

Thanks hcfl! I'll definitely post progress pics as they come because our kitchen currently houses nothing but a dusty pile of old tiles!

• hcf1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bluekitobsessed - Thanks so much for your kind words! The blue is staying. It is actually the same color that I pained the old kitchen 13 years ago (ballerina slipper blue by SW). I tried to stray from it during this remodel but just kept coming back to it and I am so glad that I did as I I'm partial to pale blues, grays, etc. The little niche above the sink is definitely for little collectibles. I had one in my old kitchen and when I starting packing up the sea shells my boys had collected and given to me and some tiles a dear friend gave me - well, it made me sad to loose that little space, so I just had to have another one built in. Ntm, the back of that cab has a cavity for the under cabinet lighting transformer & wiring - exactly what DH wanted. It was a win-win for both of us. Thanks again!

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

I just wanted to tell you how beautiful your cabinets are! I'm curious as to what floor are you putting down? I ordered creamy white cabinets and can't wait! The blue paint looks so nice in your kitchen. I can't wait to see your progress. Enjoy!
    Barb

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Very, very pretty!!!!!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is going to be a knockout! You can see the craftsmanship in your cabinets. I love the way you bookended the range wall with pantry's. And your unique cabinet fronts are destined to become trendsetters!

• hcf1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jujybean - I was wrong in describing the cab doors to you..."The door is actually 1 piece and then hand routed by our cabinet maker." The doors are mitered wooden doors and yes the drawers are dovetailed. Sorry about that! H

• hcf1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bbtondo - we will be installing Kempas which is Indonesian Cherry prefinished 4" wide planks. We should have floors down by next Friday. What type of floors are you putting in your kitchen? I cannot wait to see your progress as well.

pluckymama - Thanks so much again for your kind words. Bc we nixed the old pantry and replaced it with the bench seats; we needed to create a new pantry. After many late nights sketching out a kitchen cab plan we finally ended up with the one present in the kitchen today :) My biggest worry was that I didn't want just a flat wall of cabinets so we decided to stagger the ends. I really love the vintage coastal cottage look. DH needs symmetry and clean lines. By having the bookends, he was able to stand up straight without leaning one way or the other :) So far, it seems to have really worked out for us both. H

Here are a few pics of my first 2 range wall ideas. As you can see they've changed a little bit.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Oooooohhhhhh! Pretty! Pretty! Love them! Can't wait to see the finished product. Should be beautiful!

• lily1342
    15 years ago

Omigosh, your cabinets are so beautiful!!! It's evident that you've put a lot of careful thought into the planning. Love the Ballarina Slipper Blue too (love that name). Your whole kitchen space is just so full of character and charm.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

I think they are wonderful. I am planning on white inset cabinets too. These pix will go in my inspiration file. What are your countertops going to be? Did you say?

• hcf1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kelleg,
    We have ordered Black Venata soapstone from M. Teixeira out of New Jersey. They are picking our slabs for us. My DH will actually do the fabrication & installation - thanks to vwhippiechick's husband. Without their insight and assistance SS would have cost around 7 grand in our area to have it installed & this came from a Virginia quarry rather than Brazil. Good luck on your kitchen venture as well! H

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio