Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenottawa

Kitchen island design- sink splashing

jenottawa
10 years ago

Hello,
We are designing a new kitchen island and are interested in having our sink in the island with a place to sit across the opposite side (with low bar stools). We like the "look" of having the whole island the same height, but I am worried about all the splashes and floods, as we seem to have a lot with our current habits. I am also worried about my gigantic pile of drying dishes and where that will go on the island!
Has anyone ever seen a lip put in around the sink, (as well as a sunken sink), or what about a slightly raised bar area (a couple of inches), versus the taller bars that seem more common.
If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!

Comments (3)

• Buehl
    10 years ago

If you have at least 18" to 24" of distance b/w the back of the sink/faucet and the edge of the seating overhang, you should be OK. For a cleanup sink, I recommend 21" or more (more splashing potential!) BTW...You need at least 15" if there is no sink or cooktop; 24" if there is a cooktop.

Having the dirty dishes "front & center" for all to see and "in the face" of someone sitting at the island are two of the disadvantages of having your cleanup sink in the island.

Are you putting your sink in the island b/c you want to prep facing people? Could you have two sinks - cleanup sink on the perimeter and a prep sink in the island? This has several advantages:

1. Dirty dishes are not "front & center" and are not "in the face" of those sitting at the island

Less splashing & flooding b/c while you will be prepping (cleaning/rinsing veggies, fruit, etc.), you won't be washing pots & pans, dishes, etc.
    More usable workspace on the island.
    Depending on your complete design - it may also offer you better separation of work zones - especially separating the Cleanup Zone from the Prep Zone.
    No competition for counterspace b/w dirty dishes and the need to prep.
    Much more usable space on the island for large projects such as school/science projects, crafts, baking, decorating cookies, wrapping gifts, buffets, etc. Note that this is one of the greatest advantages of an island - all that wonderful workspace!

If you're interested in exploring other possible layouts - let us know. Check out the "Read Me" thread (linked below). It has a wealth of information - including an explanation of work zones and how to ask for layout help. Scroll down the thread for the various topics.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Here is a link that might be useful: New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me!

• drybean
    10 years ago

My only sink is in island, and I like it. There is 25" from edge of sink to edge of counter. That is ample space and my kids do HW there with no problems of wet papers. (And I'm messy).

WRT to drying dishes, that is precisely the reason I opted for a 2 bowl sink. The dishes dry in the right hand bowl, so they don't have to sit on counter. We put in a single bowl sink in our last kitchen, but I hated having to keep a dish drying rack on counter. I hand wash a lot of bowls and pots and leave them to dry. We got a 60/40 34" (I think) sink and the big side accommodates all my baking sheets and pots/pans.

This post was edited by drybean on Wed, May 22, 13 at 23:19

• jenottawa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both very much for the feedback! We are still leaning towards a sink in the island, and I will draw up a plan and see how much room we can spare (the island can stick out into the living room). Unfortunately we do not have the extra counter space in our kitchen for two sinks, it is a great idea though! Hopefully we have room for a full double sink. Most people with houses such as ours have a single or sink and a half.
    We may also consider a custom island (if we can afford it). It would be laminate (for our budget), but we would be interested in a custom shape (maybe a "bubble" shape into the dining room area, rather than a traditional rectangular shape..
    I am very impressed at the wealth of information on this site!
    Thanks again very much.