Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Melamine vs Maple Veneer Interior

Posted by bosma (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 21:23

I am ok with particle board boxes, but am wondering about the melamine interior. Is it cheap or yucky feeling/looking? The plywood boxes have a maple veneer interior, but since I'm ok with particle board boxes I'm not sure I want to incur the expense for the plywood box which I would need to purchase in order to get the maple veneer interior.
Thanks for any insights!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Melamine vs Maple Veneer Interior

I just did maple melamine and it is gorgeous! Plus, most plywood boxes are 1/2" and my boxes are 3/4" and sturdier.
G'Luck.

o

Depends on taste and how deep your pockets are. We decided to save the money and not upgrade to plywood sides. We put that money towards other features in the kitchen.

If you do the particle board sides, do make sure that any outer exposed side of the cabinets are either plywood or a wood veneered panel applied over the particle board side. It ruins the look, IMO, to have simulated wood visible on the outside of a cabinet when the rest of the cabinet exterior is real finished wood.

o

I think Melamine should be fine.

This post was edited by dckitrem on Mon, May 13, 13 at 12:19

o

So glad to hear that suzy 770! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks gpraceman, I'll keep that in mind.

OK, dckitrem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here