Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bebebzzz

3 Year Kitchen: Bigger Photos - as requested

bebebzzz
14 years ago

Hello all,

Wow, I knew that I loved how my kitchen came out, but I had no idea that so many others would love it too. Thanks for all of the compliments! It almost makes it worth the 3 year wait ;)

I promise to post more pics when we decide on a backsplash, and when we get the table and bench for the banquette.

Mythreesonsnc: We considered locating pendants on the trusses, but decided not to for a couple of reasons. We wanted the eye to be drawn up when entering the room. We were worried that pendants would detract from this as a focal point, and preferred the simplicity and unobstructed view of nothing hanging down. I love the pendants you picked out, by the way. We probably would have ended up with something very similar to the one you chose if we had decided to use pendants.

Pickle2 and Scootermom: Since my husband's business is building timber frame barns, he knows a lot of men in the trades. One of our friends, Jeff, is an top-notch carpenter and craftsman. He and my husband designed the storage benches, and then Jeff built them in place for us. He also did all of our wainscotting and trim work. There will be a table in front of the banquette along with a bench for extra seating. We just haven't found one we like yet.

Lisa A: Something I knew right from the get-go was that I wanted a gas cooktop with an electric oven. When we started this whole thing, I don't think they had ranges with this combination (if they did, I was not aware of them). So, we ended up with the oven underneath the cooktop simply because that was the best location for the oven in our layout. I don't mind it, though it is a bit low - lots of bending over.

PS. I so wanted a double oven, but alas, it was not to be. :(

Comments (13)

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen, home and dog. Congratulations on it all. I love the exposed wood beams. Were they there or did you put them up in your renovation? I also love the dark colored hinges and pulls on your cabs with the soapstone counters. Beautiful.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Thanks for the larger photos! It's like being there now. ;-) Looks even better. And I can see that we have the same coffee maker!

Isn't it nice to have skilled DH and 'connections?' Enjoy your gorgeous space. :-D

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Love the bigger pics, so much easier to see your beautiful new kitchen! It was certainly worth the wait, I'm sure you are so excited! I love how you blended the stone and the hardwood, we are still toying with that idea by our back door. The ceilings, both the copper and the trusses, are spectacular! I also love how you have stone, wood, and metal all combined to create such lovely texture throughout the room, completely unique! Your puppy is so cute and photogenic! Enjoy your beautiful new space!

Kat :)

• pattyk_64
    14 years ago

Thanks for the big pics! I love the red accents and forgive me if I'm being too nosy, but what color dishes do you have? I have a similar color scheme going and I'm debating between red dishes or green ones.

• bebebzzz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Buddyrose: Some of the beams are original (mid 1800s) and some are new.

Pattyk 64: I have old plates from before DH and I were married. They are cream colored Emma from Pottery Barn. The cream looks fantastic against the red placemats.

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Oh my, those photos are gorgeous - really shows off all the details. I love the red accents and is that a tin ceiling by your back door? That puppy sure is cute too.

Thks for taking the time repost - it will become a new GW fav!

Enjoy,
    Eliz

• tr1140
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I am in love with the natural light you have worked into the space. Are those standard skylights in the ceiling, or a special type of window?

Also, can I ask the dimensions of your banquette and what size table you plan to use? We are planning a banquette in our kitchen as well.

Thank you!!

• mythreesonsnc
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the details --- the big pics really show off every awesome detail! I agree with you about the lights (thanks for taking the time to respond). Now that I have seen an example of a kitchen with these fabulous beams, I think that should be the focus too. I will have to find a different area for those great pendants :-).

Enjoy your WOW space --- and I also LOVE your adorable dog.

• lyno
    14 years ago

Thank you for posting the larger pictures. Your kitchen is so beautiful. I love the beams and the brick with everything else. It makes your kitchen very unique.

I see you have hot water baseboard heat, but also have baseboard vents. Do you have more than one type of heat or are the vents for air conditioning? I ask because we are going to be building and my DH plans on hot water heat, radiant floor heat, and forced air for the air conditioning.

• krissd
    14 years ago

Gorgeous - thanks for the new pics. Your kitchen makes me wish we changed our floor plan. I wonder if it could have turned out like yours...hmmm.

Beautiful dog, love your space. Enjoy

• hisgal2
    14 years ago

This kitchen is GORGEOUS! It should be in a magazine. Just gorgeous. ...and now I need to clean up my puddle of drool. :)

Lyno,
    there are little heaters that can be installed under cabinets. They kick on when your hot water heat turns on to circulate the water. I wonder if that is what the vents that you are look at are? We are looking into doing that with our kitchen because we are going to have to take out about 12' of hot water baseboard heat and will need something.

• raenjapan
    14 years ago

This is just so lovely and warm and homey. It's exactly what a kitchen should be. Congratulations on a wonderful job. (and I love your dog!)

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

it's so beautiful. so many kitchens on here look like those magazines. I don't even have to pay 5-10.00 to look at 'em... lol!

it's a good thing you have 'photo dog' so you know where and when to take the pics! such a sweetie.

what's the measurement out from the corner on the base corner door? (each direction) I'm wondering if I have room for a door like that...

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County