Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meisocal

Kitchen/Great Room Remodel

meisocal
10 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to thank everyone for all the knowledge share. I wanted to let you in on my current project. I am a home cook and DH is a professional chef. You will see in the liked album that our just was not working for both of us. The lack of counter space and being closed off from the made our 1200sf home feel tiny when we had company over. Hopefully you will see in the album that we are basically making one great room. We are opening up the wall between the kitchen/DR and the LR and include a breakfast bar. We will also be installing Brazilian Teak throughout the great room and the hallway to get rid of the horribly dirty beige carpet.

We plan to basically surround the entire room with (Bordeaux Shaker) base cabinets and only have uppers above the breakfast bar and the DR wall. We will use glass insert doors for the LR and DR facing cabinets. Our dining table will be moved to the middle of the room. We will replace the large window in the DR to make room for additional cabinets since the window did not close properly. The window above the sink has the same problem but will be replaced with a same sized window. To tie the kitchen/DR together, we will use LED recessed lighting through out.

The reasoning behind the layout will be:
1)No moving of plumbing or gas supply lines
2) Electrical needs to be reworked because there are circuit issues such as microwave/hood and stove are on the same circuit and the plugs are on the same circuit as the master bedroom.
3) Add cabinets to increase storage and counter space.
4) Raised breakfast bar for additional seating during entertaining and also for one person meals.
5) Cabinets above breakfast bar for additional storage showcase for various collectibles.
6) DR side needs a working bar and a "office: hub.

We plan to purchase a Thermador 36" range with griddle and a 42" vent hood. These will come later as we cannot afford it right now. We will be keeping our Fisher & Paykel DW unless Thermador still has the free DW deal when we make our purchase. We also intend to keep our standard refrigerator because the pro-styles don't seem to have the same capacity of our standard. We will also eventually add a 150+ bottle wine ref on the DR side where we have left the full height 24" space.

Kitchen Remodel

I will be adding updates as they happen.

Right now, the hunt is on for an affordable Granite Fabricator. We intend on using the 2cm St. Cecelia Rio granite because I want the thicker 4cm look on the half bullnose that I want on the edging. If anyone is in the San Gabriel Valley or Inland Empire who can recommend someone who does good work, it would be much appreciated. I am also a little concerned about potential seaming, if anyone has the granite that we have chosen, please post the pics of your edging and seams so that I can determine whether we need to change our choice.

Thanks for all your help. I will try to update weekly.

This post was edited by meisocal on Sun, May 12, 13 at 21:44

Comments (6)

• rosie
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This sounds like a fun project, Meisocal, and like both of you know just what you want. I look forward to watching it happen.

• meisocal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Project is actually almost all done. I know I said I was going to try to update weekly, but when you have a project going, you know how it happens. The link to the album on google+ still works and has updated pictures. I will take pictures of the way it looks now and recap our difficulties and changes in gear during our remodel when I update those pics. But all in all, I am very happy with the way it turned out and I can't wait until we are completely finished.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Wow, it's looking really good. Love the paint colors, very dramatic.

We have a 1200 sq. ft. home that we're redoing now, too. We're lucky that we don't have to live in it, though. You're in the home stretch!

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

Love your choice of cabinets, floors and counters, although I may be impartial because it is very similiar to what we installed : ) we have dark cherry cabs, giallo ornamental counters and provincial oak floors. We too opened up kitchen, dining room and living room. I'm looking forward to the upcoming holidays when there will be plenty of counterspace and room to have more people at the dining room table. Are you putting in a tile back splash, if so what were you considering? Although I have brought a few samples I haven't really put my heart into it.

• meisocal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

countryatheart - sorry for the slow reply. A little preoccupied with finishing up things that are still nagging around the house. Yes, we did put in a tile back splash in an assortment of greens/beige/wine. Just wanted to tie everything together.

BTW - we just got a appraisal for a refinance in hopes to purchase DH's expensive Thermador stove and the appraiser loved the kitchen and gave us a wonderfully high number.

• meisocal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thermador stove arrived day before yesterday. All installed and operating. {{gwi:2101090}}

We also received the DW but will install over the weekend when I have time to fully clean the old one before replacing it since we are hoping to sell the old Fisher & Paykel. I will also try to take a picture of all the final touches that have taken place since the last update of the album so and also a better picture of the back splash.