Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayerg73_gw

My soapstone is in!

ayerg73
11 years ago

My Anasazi soapstone was installed today!

Soapstone isn't something you see in my area at all. Our fabricators had to come 3 hours to install. It was cool to watch my GC checking it out and asking the owner of the company all about it. I think they might pick up some business in our area if they are willing to make the drive again!

The best picture I could manage to get of the runnels...

My very favorite vein. It looks like it's own tiny galaxy.

Comments (24)

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I am considering soapstone and love yours!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Love!!!!!

• cluelessincolorado
    11 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Love it! So exciting!!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Sweet!

• Susied3
    11 years ago

Oh, it's beautiful!

Mind me asking what area you live? I live in Texas, and have NEVER seen soapstone, but know that is what I want, (THANKS GW) there are no houses, no stone yards, no nothing around here.
    I may have to order it sight unseen, but the thought of that makes me crazy.

Yours is VERY nice!!
    Congrats!

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

susied3 - I'm in KY. I had never heard of SS either until I started researching countertops that didn't need any chemical sealers. That's how I found gardenweb - thank goodness!

I had to make a few very long treks to see our stone and pick it out, but it was worth it.

Good luck!

• hsw_sc
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!!

• kaijutokusatsu
    11 years ago

Nice!

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!!! You are a tease though....where is the shot of the island???? More pics please!!!!

Love your galaxy as well...you need to give it a name...

• springroz
    11 years ago

What part of KY?? We are in the process of moving there!!

That SS is fantastic! I Love the bronz-y veins. On soapstone.

Nancy

• caminnc
    11 years ago

OH, sooo beautiful!!!

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys. DH keeps finding me in there oiling it. It does seem to dry out quickly. Maybe because it's a harder variety or lots of veins? I don't mind, though!

clarygrace - I've got to save something for the reveal! ;) The backsplash goes in today and the Berta goes in first thing Thursday! YAY! I promise more pics after that!

Now I'm going to have to think of a galaxy name... Any ideas?

springroz - Small world! We are in Radcliff, not far outside of Ft. Knox. What area are you moving to?

• springroz
    11 years ago

You are a good ways away...we are going to be in Bowling Green. But I'm from Texas, so it can't be TOO far, right?!?

I love your galaxy, too! What is the name of your ss? Beautiful!

Nancy

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Did I know you were getting a Berta??? What color? We have the Bertazzoni 6 burner Pro cooktop...like minds...

What are you doing for backsplash? Ours was installed this past weekend (now needs grout). It is a 3 x 6 bevelled and crackled subway tile in white.

We are day 3 of floor finishing...ugh, can't wait for it to be done...

...galaxy names...might be a good thing for the kids to come up with...have a contest!!!!

Cheers!

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Loving it!

• springroz
    11 years ago

Just realized you said that it was Anasazi in the first LINE!!

Duh.

Nancy

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

That's is absolutely stunning.
    SS is my goal, along with a counter height window. And beaded inset cabinets. OK, it's not about me.

I'm saving your thread because I also love the bronzey-veins (on the SS LOL).

I can't believe I read "galaxy" this morning. I was petting my bathroom marble and thinking how the veining and tiny speckles look like stars. WONDERFUL!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

that is beautiful!! I love soapstone, but once again ruled it out for another kitchen since I couldn't use a dark slab. I love the galaxy, I hope it is placed somewhere that you can enjoy it all the time!

bee

• laxsupermom
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Love the sea glass color in the veining! If mineral oil is flashing off quickly, you might want to try a beeswax/mineral oil combo. Still food safe, but it lasts much longer.

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

springroz - you'll be about an hour away. That's one of my son's very favorite places in the world because the Corvette factory is there. He thinks it's Heaven!

A kind word of advice...look into sink hole insurance. We found a lovely one in our front yard this weekend and found out that they are not covered under our insurance. They are common here and I didn't realize just how common!

CEFreeman - Thank you! I love that bronze/rust color too. It looks awesome with the cherry IMHO.

My DH and I thought the same thing when we looked at that vein at the same time. Gotta love Mother Nature!

Bee - thanks! Yes, the galaxy is front and center. Actually, there are a couple of veins that look like that. I just love to look at them. Actually - it's almost like looking through them.

laxsupermom - thanks so much! I saw your comment on the other SS post. I have already gone out and purchased the beeswax! I'll be experimenting tomorrow with it.

• prill
    11 years ago

It looks great. I know what you mean about the favorite spot... I have a couple on my soapstone too. Enjoy.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Just beautiful! I wish I had done runnels!!!!!

• ayerg73
    Original Author
    11 years ago

clarygrace - I somehow totally missed your comment! I'm sorry!

We have a 48" Black DF Berta in the garage. She's been there for far too long. I found her on CL and couldn't resist! It was a departure from what I was going to do - stainless or cream - but I think it's going to work even better. Love those happy accidents!

We're doing a pretty bold green handmade crackle backsplash. I wasn't sure about the color at first, but once I got the tile in my hands, I fell in love with it.

After the GC installed it for a few hours, he told me that he was pretty concerned about the color until it got up on the wall and now he really likes it. Hope that's a good omen!

Can't wait to see pics of yours!