Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brightm

Drawers and other innerds Q's (Innermost and general)

brightm
9 years ago

We're coming in to the home stretch on our design. I think we have the boxes placed and sized. I'm down to a few places where I just have to decide what to put in each.

I know that the drawer fronts for the various drawer stacks are as follows:
4 drawer: 6 1/2 - 6 1/2 - 6 1/2 - 10
3 drawer: 6 1/2 - 11 9/16 - 11 9/16
2 drawer: 14 7/8 - 14 7/8 (and you can get them with or without pull outs above/within each drawer)

I've read all the fabulous drawer threads here. But I am still not sure what will fit into what drawers, because I don't know the interior dimensions. Also, one of the fabulous old drawer threads talks about the different interior dimensions of two drawers with the same exterior dimensions (if I understood it right, it's because of an extra horizontal piece).

So if anyone has Innermost (or Design Craft I think) cabinets and knows their drawer depths or feels like measuring, I'd be super grateful. I'm driving my KD batty enough.

I have measured the upper 6 1/2" drawers at just under 3", but it looks like there's 4" clearance. I didn't think to measure the lower drawers and can do that tomorrow. The only bases on display at the local HD are a 4-drawer stack and a 2-drawer stack with the extra pullouts.)

DH is leaning towards 36" drawers for pots and pans. I'm happy I got him away from two smaller cabinets with ROTS. But a 36" (which would have heavy duty hardware) still scares me a bit. Thoughts appreciated.

I'm also not sure what factory accessories/goodies I should get and what I should source aftermarket. The biggest thing I'm questioning is the on-the-door spice racks for upper cabinets. DH is the cook and he's tall, he wants them up high. He likes the idea of those. I haven't checked a price of a regular wall cabinet vs. the one that COMES with the spice rack and shallower shelves vs. the 'kit' you can get with the on-the-door spice rack and shallower shelves. If anyone has any experience with these or aftermarket on-the-door spice racks, I'd love to hear about them. (And I suppose if I did that, I could just have someone rip down some of the shelves from the wall cabinets.)

Tray storage...This has been a source of contention between DH and I. Currently, we have about a 7" tray rack in a base cabinet with a teeny-tiny drawer above it. If the drawer wasn't above it, you might be able to see into it. As it is, with face frame cabinets, there's hardly any room and you have to practically get on the floor to see stuff. The cabinets that come with tray storage come in a 9" full height (too small) and 12/15/18" with drawer above and one where the divider part pulls out attached to the door (I think that's out.) You can also modify cabinets to have the dividers installed wherever, but I'm sure it's expensive. Does anyone have any experience with wooden aftermarket ones AND does anyone have any advice on size? I know it depends what we have to store but since we can't fit hardly anything in what we have, it's hard to know what would be good to store within vertical dividers. Cookie sheets, small cutting boards, and pizza peel is what we've got there now (and really, some cookie sheets live in the oven.)

Trash...I've got a 15" cabinet that could be for trash. It's good placement. But I'm not sure enough about how stuff will fit overall in the kitchen, so I'm hesitant to give up the cabinet for trash. A compromise would be to get a plain old 15" cabinet with drawer above and try a small trash can in it. Then if I want to buy a roll out, do that after the fact. There seem to be plenty of those available (and I'm currently a bit overwhelmed by the choices). If I chose not to keep trash there, I could get aftermarket ROTS, right?

I'm pretty sure I won't get any cutlery-type holders from them. I'll go with Wood Hollow, I think.

Anything I'm missing?

Comments (8)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Two specific comments -

1). My pots and pans drawers are 36" and they're great. The pans are stacked, but each pot is in it's separate place with it's cover. I don't even have heavy duty glides.

2) I'm always curious when people say they don 't want to give up cabinet space for the trash. If you don't, where will the trash go? If "out", well, you could do the same thing with the stuff that would be in that cabinet - it could live on the counters! but you wouldn't want it to. (Keeping the trash out of sight and not in the way on the floor is a big deal to me).

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have a stainless Simple Human step on trash can now. It's on a wall that has no purpose otherwise. It's just a little wider than the trashcan. It's kind of in the doorway to the kitchen, but the doorway is about 43" wide, and it's never really even occurred to me that it's in the doorway. It makes it really easy to throw away trash if you're in the dining room/family room where we spend the bulk of our time. We had to upgrade to this can because the way-too-smart Australian Shepherd figured out how to open the last one.

DH doesn't like that the trash will be 'so far in' the kitchen (it's about 6 more steps). I like that it'll be better placed for working in the kitchen.

Great to hear about the drawers! The only 'modern convenience' in our current kitchen is ROTS (2) in a 33" cabinet with our pots and pans. Because of a weird arrangement, they're only 24" wide. So I was thinking going with a 27" would be fine. But there are a couple things that are in another part of the kitchen that could be added to those main drawers if we go wider.

Can I ask the depth of your drawers sjhockeyfan? The tallest pots we currently have are 8" and I figure anything bigger wouldn't be often used and could be stored in ancillary storage areas. So I'm thinking the 3-drawer stacks will probably work. I figure 11+" exterior drawer fronts should result in at least 8" interior. I hope.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I have four 36" drawers. One has regular dishes (plates, bowls, etc), two have casserole dishes & the fourth tupperware. I had to replace my the Blum glides with heavy duty glides. I love the 36" drawers & wouldn't hesitate to do them again. Do the heavy duty glides for any cabinets over 30". They aren't that much more expensive than the regular.
    Tray storage: do you have any upper cabinets that could be used for tray storage? I have two cabinets for tray storage, one above my wall ovens & a smaller lower cabinet. I find the bigger upper cabinet more convenient than the smaller lower cabinet cabinet.

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We just re-vamped the plan for the (it feels like) 794th time and now we'll have a 21" pantry. An upper shelf in that could work for tray storage. Hadn't thought of that. :D Thanks.

(Assuming I can figure out an aftermarket way to get dividers into it.)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The inside dimension of the deep drawers is 10". I've posted a picture so you can see what fits - there's a 5 qt pot, 3 qt pot, 2 qt pot, 1 qt pot, 2 cup and 4 cup liquid measures (stacked), one extra pot cover (why?) and a bunch of stacked frying pans ranging from 8" to 12". We keep out large soup pot (12 qt) in the pantry, although it isn't too tall for the drawer.

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much! (I know different manufacturers are different, but is it in a three drawer stack? or two?)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

It's 3 - shallow up top, and two equal size drawers below. In the drawer stack next to this one (dishes are in the equivalent drawer) I probably should have gone with 4 drawers, but I wanted them to look the same.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I have the mega size drawers and did have one failure. Make sure in addition to heavy duty glides, they add additional screws to distribute the weight. It is hard to believe that 3 screws is adequate to hold 100lbs of weight especially in full extension.
    The KD/GC and Brookhaven did upgrade my heavy 42 to heavy duty glides and all cabinets had extra reinforcement screws added.
    My pots are in a 37 inch with regular glides (but additional screws as the GC came back and reinforced them). I have slots and most are sideways except for a few larger sauté pans.
    There are still a few pans that didn't fit(ok, I bought a few additions,,) but my giant sauté pan, large pasta pot, and a medi lecreuset are stored in my Super Susan as they take up too much real estate or height.
    The 11+ drawer didn't hold the large pasta pan with the insert as I recall.
    I have one 15 inch drawer without dividers(but might add them as it is perfect for muffin tins, etc. Most of my cookie sheets and cooling racks are above my ovens. I am just tall enough to reach them without a step stool.
    I also have more trays above the fridge.
    My cutting boards are in a small cabinet with a door. The dozen+ cutting boards fit perfectly in the narrow cabinet(my only non drawer cab except for the sink and super susan)

One thing to think about is symmetry so visually your eyes are not popping up and down with the drawer lines.

I am on the road helping DM, so usual text errors from phone. I have trouble pisting pictures from my phone but lots of pictures on GW shoeing my divided drawers.