Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykinteriors

finished! Vintage Cream in the City

shanghaimom
13 years ago

Hi all,

We are finally finished with our kitchen remodel of our 1889 home. I have been a daily (truthfully, sometimes HOURLY) lurker and sporadic poster for almost two years. There is NO WAY I could have planned this remodel without the help of GW--We were living in China for over 5 years and I had to do all of my planning from there. This meant NO MAGAZINES, nor could I visit showrooms and see anything in person. Every time I had a question, I seemed to be able to find a thread about it. Not to mention all of the inspirational photos!!! I was so afraid of missing an important tidbit! (We were 13 hours ahead there, so I could easily miss a thread as it fell off onto pages two, three, four...)

Anyway, many thanks to all of the great TKO people who contribute to this forum.

Photos first! Details at the end. (o:

pass-thru detail

cabinetry--local custom painted in BM Bone White oil-based enamel

walls-- BM Ballet White

counters--Zodiaq quartz Mystic Black (kind of a charcoal color)

pulls--Amerock Revitalize in Burnished Bronze

sink--Ticor zero-radius SS508

faucet--Kohler Vinnata in Vibrant Polished Nickel

range-36" Bertazzoni Heritage Series in Anthracite

hood- Vent-A-Hood NPH9-136

backsplash- 3" hexagonal Calcatta marble

pendants--Hinckley Knickerbocker (these are on clearance all over for a song right now...)

windows--Marvin double-hung cottage style

Comments (125)

• megpie77
    13 years ago

Oh I love your kitchen! I will have to add it to my list of inspirational photos. I'm so happy for you! You've got amazing style. I can't believe you planned it abroad without any mags or showrooms. I dream of owning an older home such as yours someday. Congratulations and enjoy!

• gobruno
    13 years ago

Love your kitchen! Keep the window. It's perfect for the space. Can you post pictures of the rest of your house. Does it look just as amazing?

• pamelah
    13 years ago

Absolutely perfect!

• sixmagnolialane
    13 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE YOUR KITCHEN! I'm in the middle of creamy white inset cabnets /white carrera marble countertop and backsplash kitchen. I had considered doing golden/brass colored hardware - love the look - jury still out. I'm currently stuck on hardwood flooring. CAN YOU TELL ME about your hardwoods. Are they site finished? If so, what color and brand stain?

ALSO- please tell me about your camera. I'm in the market for one and yours has provided great pictures of your OH SO BEAUTIFUL KITCHEN!

sixmagnolialane

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Remodel-mama, we did do the powder room at the same time. It originally opened up directly into the kitchen which was really gross because I've got two young teenage boys who are often too lazy to shut the door--eew. Here are the before and after: BEFORE:

AFTER:

MARTHAVILA, Thank you, thank you. My main objective with this kitchen was to make it look like it could have always been here, without crossing into vintage kistch....

SIXMAGNOLIALANE, The floors were finished to match the rest of the house and it ended up being a random cocktail. There are at least 15 test patches under the cabinetry! Something I did end up with, though, (that I hadn't planned on) was doing semi-gloss, rather than the usual satin finish. It is much more forgiving of dirt and doggie toenail gouges. (The opposite of what you might think.)

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sixmagnolia, My camera is the ever-popular Nikon DX-40. It is one of the most lightweight ones I could find (a few years ago, anyway) and so it is a super travel camera.

• penelopejosephine
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning. I absolutely love all of your choices, but my favorite has to be that backsplash. It's the first time I've seen that size hex. Enjoy your beautiful new space :)

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

Wow--absolutely beautiful!!!

• drjoann
    13 years ago

What an amazing kitchen. You've really helped me by seeing a whole kitchen with those pulls. I knew I wanted something like an antique brass for my creamy white cabinets, but those Amerock are just the ticket.

I hope you & you family enjoy your kitchen for many years to come.

Jo Ann

• remodel-mama
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting your powder room pics. Again, as others have said about your kitchen, you have done an amazing job of mixing old with new.

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful kitchen! I love how there's no walls next to the range! You can see through... how wonderful a feeling it must be to not have a wall right in your face as you are cooking! And that Bertazzoni ... I could cry it is so lovely :) Congratulations and enjoy!

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

SM - like Martha, I keep coming back and just LOVE the rest of your pix!! You really do need to "pitch" your house to a magazine - it's so gorgeous. And I love that hardware...

ENJOY
    Eliz

• lexmiss
    13 years ago

I have been lurking on this board for months now, while thinking and planning for my kitchen remodel, which is beginning in the next few weeks. This absolutely dreamy kitchen (and entire home from what i have seen!) has inspired me to make my first post on the board! :) All I can say is that I am literally drooling over your kitchen. It is just perfect! If only I had a sense of style like that... WOW!

• kathec
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! Can I live there?

• eldemila
    13 years ago

Was doing a search and found your thread.

What an absolutely gorgeous kitchen. Can you come design my kitchen ; )

• nursetammi
    13 years ago

Simply beautiful...it looks amazing. I can not believe your home is over 120 years old. It looks spectacular. Please next time post the "before" picture right before the "after", my finger is so tired of scrolling back and forth (at least 100 times lol). I absolutely love the leaded glass with your kitchen, I really think it adds such charm to it. I wish you many happy memories in your new kitchen.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

That bathroom turned out great!!!

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

perfect.. love the table and benches tucked in that cozy space. And the bathroom wallpaper is awesome. I also love me some Nikon!

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen. Rocket is funny, he gravitates to those carpets! Love how you matched the cabinets to Rocket.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I can't add any more praise than you've already seen. The hex tiles are really inspired choice--very accurate, very distinctive, very nice.

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

I love love love your kitchen. And I am not a big fan of traditional kitchens, though I have seen so many fantastic traditional kitchens here on GW....

That leaded stained window motif -- I think you should keep it. It is definitely the accent that emphasizes the traditional vibe of the kitchen.

Congratulations and enjoy the new space!!

• redroze
    13 years ago

Where is my comment on this??? I can't believe I didn't comment on your kitchen. It is sooooo beautiful and rich with character. I love the windows, the hardware, all the warm accents, the pendants. It is so, so perfect and beautiful and gorgeous!!! And vintage which I love!

• megpie77
    13 years ago

shanghaimom-Where are your woven shades from and what color/name are they?
    Thank you!

• Susan
    13 years ago

wow, how did i miss this kitchen?!!
    nevermind, now that i see it i WANT IT!!!!!
    in fact, would you be my kitchen consultant?
    PLEASE??? (i'm not kidding, either).
    honestly you have made an incredible kitchen, i am beyond impressed. talk about the wow factor, you've got it in spades.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello and Happy Fourth!! Just returned to see the old thread has resurfaced. Thanks so much for the nice comments!

Funny, I just took down my leaded glass window last week, but then put back up a few days later after I tired of watching my neighbor go to and from her garage. Do I wave? Nod? Pretend we don't see each other? She is lovely but I don't want to have to "relate" in my PJs from the kitchen window.

Megpie, the blinds (and I have them all over) are from Blinds.com and they are "Premium Woven Woods" in Nova Ponte#38. I have ordered other things from them and been very happy, as I am with these. Their prices are the best I could find. (I have a teensy problem over-researching everything so take it from me...)

And fallingwaters, I miss the whole kitchen design thing so much...email me anytime!! I could try! (-8 It used to be "decision overload," now it is "decision withdrawl."

Rocket HAS to stick to the rugs. He slips all over the floors, poor guy.

• rexroat
    13 years ago

Hi-
    I'm playing around with different kitchen layouts and I find that I keep coming back to your kitchen for inspiration.
    The layout I'm presently fixated on would have a 4'x3.5' island (I'm thinking similar in size to yours).

-Would you mind telling me the dimensions of your kitchen island?
    -Do you find the size functional?
    -I'm wondering if I could sneak a prep sink in the island...did you consider it and/or do you think it would be possible while maintaining some useful prep space?

Thanks!

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

I keep going back to your kitchen that I've saved in my favorites along with many others that I love because I really feel you've nailed the timeless look.

I was just showing your pictures to my husband again because we were discussing the use of brass fixtures and I think yours are beautiful and timeless looking.

In my neck of the woods polished brass was "in" during the '80s, then brushed nickel came "in" during the '90s and then oil rubbed bronze.

I had read some time ago on the internet that one designer felt yellow metals were next to come back "in." I notice that Candice Olson is using a lot of yellow metals in her current designs.

My house is a colonial so I feel brass is really the best metal for it but have not been going down that path since I was trying to make it feel more up to date. Now I am questioning myself and my decisions.

I was in Home Depot yesterday looking at cabinet knobs and saw a new color I had never seen before. The only way I can describe it is a very golden brushed nickel. Its not the color of brushed nickel but its not brass. I was very intrigued.

The gal that worked there said she felt brass/ and or yellow metals may be making a come back. I asked her why she said that.....its still looked down upon here as being outdated.

She said they just brought in a line of Martha Stewart cabinets and they had brass pulls. I went and looked and sure enough they did! I have to say I was expecting a nice soft antiqued brass like your beautiful fixtures and was shocked to see the bright shiny brass everyone has been ripping out here.......

So....hmmmmm......what to do, what to do? Look completely out of date or know that I might be on the cutting edge of the next color cycle..

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

Sorry for the double post but I can't edit my last post. I see that your knobs are bronze (not the typical oil rubbed bronze which is dark) I believe the knobs I saw at Home Depot were also a light bronze.

• momnwoods_aol_com
    13 years ago

Well, browsing through this blog...is really worthwhile when you see something like "this". Very lovely..and elegantly done..and not overdone. Your backsplash is very calming..and timeless. The countertop is timeless, and goes extremely well with the "lighter" cabinets and "floor" very wisely chosen!! Your cupboards are gorgous..timeless and just stunning.
    May I just add one of the best things surrounding the kitchen is "your adorable dog"!!! Well done!!!!

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmmn, respoding doesn't resurrect the post--sorry.

Irishcreamgirl, I hope you found the perfect pulls and knobs!

Rexroat, the island is 4.5 feet x 5.5 feet. The kitchen is quite small--there really didn't seem to be any point in having a prep sink. For me, the clear, dry island is more valuable real estate. My kids sometimes eat there, my husband uses it for an at-home office (grrrr) and it is my party buffet.

• chgojudyinaz
    13 years ago

Shanghaimom,
    I love what you've done with your kitchen! I found your pictures when I was choosing hardware for my kitchen remodel, and decided to go with the Revitalize pulls because I loved the classic look of them. Can you tell me what sizes yours are? Are they the 5" centers throughout? Thanks!

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Judy, thank you! Yes, the pulls are all 5" size. They are really solid and heavy and comfy--I'm sure you'll like the Revitalize very much.

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Hi Shanghaimom,

Since it is always fun to resurrect your kitchen pictures for new timers who haven't seen it before, here is a question: How wide are the doors on your upper inset cabinets? They look to be about 36" wide for the doubles. Is this correct? Have you been happy with the functionality of that width? Aesthetically, it works perfectly in your kitchen.

Thanks!

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Francoise, this message came to my email and I emailed you back. I hope you received it.

Those uppers are 30" wide and the each door is 13.5" wide. They work very well for us!

• sandn
    12 years ago

Shanghai Mom,
    Your kitchen is as beautiful over morning lattes as it was over evening glasses of wine. What wonderful design. Our house is the exact vintage as yours: 1889, but ours is a Victorian. We'll have many similar design elements in our kitchen. I hope it will be as successful.

• westtoeast
    12 years ago

Hi Shanghaimom,
    I recently came across your DROP DEAD GORGEOUS kitchen, and your island has really inspired me. Ours will be almost the same size( 6'x4.5')
    How do you like having the width at 4.5"? Do you find it hard to clean the center? Do you ever pull stools up to the sides of the island? Is there space for guests/kids to sort of "perch" there?

Also, How are you liking your Bertazzoni?

I hope you are enjoying your lovely and inspiring space!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and beautiful pictures and information, thanks so much for sharing! Love Rocket : )

• goldstox
    11 years ago

Simply awesome! How do you like your stove so far. I love all of it.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! The Bertazzoni has been a champ for three years. One of my favorite things in the kitchen.

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Gorgeous and inspiring! I am renovating the kitchen in our circa 1889 house and your kitchen is one I will look to for ideas and inspiration. Congrats and enjoy!!

• lauraswi
    8 years ago

This kitchen looks really nice. I also am doing ivory cabinets with gold pulls and knobs. I was planning on getting a brushed nickel faucet and stainless steel sink which i think you have but was worried about mixing the metals. Are you happy with these two together?

• kitschykitch
    8 years ago

I think I have seen this before, and the post is obviously old, but it deserves a revival!

shanghaimom thanked kitschykitch
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago

Always one of my favorites--I posted the range pic recently as an example on another thread.

shanghaimom thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • Emily Mathis
    8 years ago

oh my. As with everyone else, I just find this kitchen so tremendously gorgeous! The marble backsplash, the pass-through, leaded glass windows, eating nook -- and that doorknob you stripped! holy mama, someone painted that?? I hope that you are enjoying it every day. (and I'm sorry for the loss you were navigating at the time of the renovation.)

shanghaimom thanked Emily Mathis
  • mongey
    8 years ago

Hi shanghaimom. We have an 1884 victorian that we are restoring, and are very interested in the same Bertazzoni Heritage range you chose for your kitchen. Can you please provide insight as to how well it has performed (burners and oven) and how reliable it has been (any service calls, for what issues, etc.)? Thanks so much!

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    8 years ago

mongey, I have not been on GW in ages and just saw this...perhaps you have already made your range choice!

I love my Berta and have had no issues with it. I use the burners very frequently and heavily, and the oven not as much, as I am not a baker. The oven is perfect for my needs--family dinners like sheet pan roasting, casseroles and dutch oven simmering. On the rare occasions that I need a precise temperature, I have a thermometer in the oven. I also really like the convection setting to keep the hot air circulating even when things are sort of blocked by my huge sheet pans.

If you bake often and require precise temperature readings, this may not be the range for you. I love the vintage look and didn't want anything with digital readouts, blue lights, etc.

• rebunky
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Shanghaimom, just saw your response. So, while you are around, I just had to bump to say....

I LOVE YOU KITCHEN! It is one of my all time favorites I have ever seen!

Even down to your yellow lab photo bombs, to the antique glass window, to the trick pass through openings that took me a while to figure out.... Love it all!

shanghaimom thanked rebunky
  • Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

Stunning.. I am in awe....beautiful and cozy home.

Russ

shanghaimom thanked Russ Barnard
  • louisec1202
    8 years ago

上海姆妈 do you prefer the knobs or the pulls on cabinets?