Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
licoeur

Help! Need granite suggestions for honey oak cabinets

Licoeur
10 years ago

I'm replacing the Formica countertops with granite in my townhome's kitchen. The kitchen has golden oak cabinets and medium brown hand-scraped hardwood floors (both are very grainy). The kitchen isn't very big and gets a medium amount of natural light. IâÂÂm not sure if I should go with light or dark granite countertops, but I know I want the granite to stand out from the cabinetâÂÂs color and not necessarily blend in together. With that said, I do also want the floors, cabinets and countertops to complement one another.

Just as a FYI:

- IâÂÂm also getting all new appliances which will be complete stainless steel.
- I plan to have a backsplash put in once the countertops are done as well.
- Right now I'm leaning towards going with santa cecilia granite because it "matches", but it doesn't really wow me.

I have attached pictures of my cabinets and floor for reference. Any suggestions for granites would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (9)

• beachlover2
    10 years ago

I have been looking for granite for several months. I purchased two slabs of Napoli today and I love it! It has beige, gold, and garnet as well as grey! I found a local place that I can get it installed for $38. per square foot ... fabulous and it looks really good! Some places call it Gallio Napoli.

• beachlover2
    10 years ago

I have been looking for granite for several months. I purchased two slabs of Napoli today and I love it! It has beige, gold, and garnet as well as grey! I found a local place that I can get it installed for $38. per square foot ... fabulous and it looks really good! Some places call it Gallio Napoli.

• Fori
    10 years ago

How about a nice green (for example, costa esmeralda) stone?

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

I'd go light.....the typical"ground the honey oak with black or very dark" wouldn't work so well here,i think because of the darker chestnut colored and textured floor, along with the color of the oak. Are there some lights/whites that you've seen? Depends on the shade,but the green as a color might work.Get some samples or pictures of several different slabs...something out there may surprise you and pull things together.

• mom2sethc
    10 years ago

Hi!

I 2nd the vote for a nice green.

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

If you have slab yards near you, take off one of your cabinet doors and take it with you. Place it in front of the slabs that you are considering.

You might want to stop by a home improvement store and pick up a wood floor sample that matches your flooring color-wise. Then you can put that next to the slabs as well.

• lilmissunshine
    10 years ago

I too have golden/honey oak cabinetry & after almost 6 weeks of going to local slab yards & warehouses I decided to go with Madura gold granite for my countertops. But, with that being said, I highly suggest the same thing that others have suggested. Go to as many places as possible to see the actual slab, not just a sample in a showroom or online, because being that granite is a natural stone, one Madura gold (for example) can look very different from another Madura gold, it all depends on the different "bundles" & at which time it arrived at the slab yard. Find out what times & days your local slab yard pulls slabs & don't be afraid to ask them to pull more than one slab, so that you can see more than just the front slab. Some of our other favorites were "golden oak", "tuscan sunset" & "crema bordeaux", the crema bordeaux can vary greatly in it's color though, but is so beautiful. Each of these for me, here in ohio, ran roughly &50-$60 a sq ft, just to give you an idea of cost in my area. I hope this helps a little & good luck.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I would go with a gray or green. I have Persa Avorio with maple cabinets. It "reads" gray but has a lot of gold/tan in it and black. I have had it for over a year now and still love it. Good luck...and yes, be sure to shop with a door and even floor sample if you have it. Take your time..it is a big purchase. Good luck!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Costa Esmerelda was my first thought. When I was thinking about just changing out my counter and knobs I was going to do a green granite with my golden oak cabinets. I think a light granite will not give enough contrast as you don't have much contrast between the cabinets and floor.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022