Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
updating_gw

Stove / Range Search

updating
9 years ago

I don't have gas where I live so I'm looking for an electric smoothtop or induction top. I don't want white, black or overly expensive appliances. I don't really care for the coldness of SS, nor do I like fingerprints (I have young children). I was planning on purchasing the GE slate finish appliances, slightly warmer than SS and no fingerprints! However, I can't get the double oven with convection oven with a smoothtop electric or induction top in the slate color. They only have smoothtop electric (with the other features) in SS. When I asked if this was a "printless SS" they just replied "SS is notorious for fingerprints."

Does anyone know of another manufacturer with a finish similar to the slate where I might look for kitchen appliances? Thanks in advance

Here is a link that might be useful: Slate Appliance Color

Comments (10)

• User
    9 years ago

Only GE is producung the slate. And even they aren't fully committed. It's likely to b the equivalent of Mayag's Atlantis Blue washer and dryer which lasted about 10 minutes. Every single one was a different color because they were sourced from different plants.

Something not white, black, stanless AND moderately priced exists in the same place that unicorns and fairies does. If you want color, your choices are all going to be upper end. People who clean stainless with Pledge furniture polish don't have issues maintaining it. And it's not going away at all. It's a good fit for most kitchens because it's reflective surface makes it blend in with cabinets of all colors. It will also give you the most choice in your appliances. All good reasons to choose it.

• updating
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A good reason not to choose SS is not liking it. I don't want to be talked into using SS, I was looking for another source for something slate like. If there's none, I'll just use my white appliances for awhile longer before deciding on new ones. Hopefully GE will expand the slate line. It is ridiculous that GE isn't producing more in the slate color. Some stoves are produced but NO hoods. Why wouldn't they have a hood to match the stove? How can someone buy a kitchen in this color if they can't get all the parts for the kitchen?

• mrsmortarmixer
    9 years ago

I also dislike stainless. I have a stainless range and HAD a SS fridge. Even the range is too much SS for me, but black or white wouldn't have looked that great either. I haven't seen slate in person, but it looks really pretty online. If they had more options in the slate color, I'd be awfully tempted to buy a fridge, but like you, they don't carry what I need in that finish. I'm sure slate will end up like the ORB that Jenn-air did a few years ago. It must have tanked. I'm sure GE is playing it safe by not producing large amounts of anything with the expectation of it never taking off. Unfortunate for those of us who really want something different.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Viking had an induction range that you could get in colors. This is an expensive option.
    Another option which may or may not be cheaper once you add the price of a cabinet, is to get an induction cooktop and a separate oven. If you can place the oven in a tall cabinet you get better ergonomics and also remove the oven as a small child's play thing. A few manufacturers make ovens in color. Most are in the high end but you can often find colored appliances on ebay and craigslist. Bluestar, Viking and I believes smeg make colored appliances. None of these are inexpensive. GE may also make their oven in slate. I don't know if Jenn Air is still making the appliances in colors such as copper, etc.

Specific requirements often have trade offs. Cost is usually the loser.

Good luck!

• alerievay1
    9 years ago

I go back and forth on whether I want color, but there really aren't options in the sub-$2500 price range. There are a few inexpensive (like, $500-750 range) "stainless look" electric ranges, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for. None has a double oven.

GE is considering putting out more colors in their Artistry line. Of course, those are retro-styled appliances, and they don't come in a double oven, to my knowledge.

This GE apparently comes in that slate finish and has double ovens: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/JB850EFES.html

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Artistry colors

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Hopefully GE will expand the slate line.

It was my understanding (from GW) that they were cutting it back, not expanding it. It's too bad, because it was a beautiful compromise.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Deleted because it's not a convection oven (?)

This post was edited by sjhockeyfan on Thu, May 29, 14 at 12:59

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

>Deleted because it's not a convection oven (?)

Unfortunately, the artistry line is pretty junky. Personally, I would love turquoise appliances, but I've seen the artistry stove and fridge in the local big box stores and they're definitely bottom of the line trying to attract unwary buyers who'd go for nothing but a stylish look. I'm not surprised it's not selling. You only have to touch it to see how shoddily it's put together.

• User
    9 years ago

About 5 years ago, GE produced a similar color as a Home Depot exclusive. And then abandoned it after about 18 months. Right when a friend who was piecemeal replacing her appliances with it needed that DW to complete her set.

I would never plan to use off color appliances for a kitchen. White, black, or stainless are the standards, (with bisque/almond making a miniscule appearance) and for those of us who don't have 20K appliance budgets, one of those just has to work. Since you don't like stainless, you might look at doing black. Use some extra lighting around the fridge area.. A large black box in the kitchen just tends to suck the light out of the room.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

When I did my kitchen I really didn't want stainless. I was going to go with black but I knew the big black fridge next to a big black double oven on the same wall would make the room feel like a cave. I couldn't fall in love with white with my light maple cabinets so I finally decided on SS knowing that was going to look best even though I didn't wantit. It has been almost a year and the stainless steel that I hated I now totally love. Our stainless just doesn't seem to show smudges, the fridge door handles are knurled and that adds to the fingerprint resistance. We saw the GE slate when we were shopping but the line was too limited.

I'm not trying to sway you to go with SS. I honestly don't think there is anything new on the horizon in regards to appliances so you are pretty much stuck with white, black, or stainless. Jenn Air had a very pretty coppery color but it was gone in the blink of an eye.

There are so many wonderful metal tones that you would think an enterprising company would step up to the plate and offer a metallic line. Maybe a copper or bronze look.