Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

Where can I get a countertop like this?

nyrgirl35
9 years ago

Where can I get a wooden countertop like this? I like the beveled edge on it also!
This countertop will only be on a 60" space the rest of countertops will be granite.
I've seen online that Home Depot carries Heirloom wooden countertops but haven't seen it in person.
Does anyone have this type of countertop?
Thanks!

Comments (11)

• goodguy2k2k
    9 years ago

I dont have this but it looks almost like a butcher block raw material which was stained and sealed and routered edges.

A local carpenter should be able to source unfinished butcher block stock and cut to size, rout the edges and stain and seal.

Google "How to stain butcher block countertops"
    You might want to see if you can get a small piece of butcher block wood and stain it to see if it looks like what you want. A company that sells and cuts butcherblock counters should be able to do this also.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

A good carpenter can put a routed edge on any wooden countertop. The only one I have any experience with is an IKEA butcher block counter which is beautiful and inexpensive. Food-grade stains and sealers can be applied to get the color and shine you desire.

• peony4
    9 years ago

IKEA's solid wood countertop, the Numerar, is in limited supply, I believe. It differs from its other wood countertops (some of which are solid wood over particle board). So, be sure to view in person if considering, and check stock at your local IKEA.

Below is a link to a reputable BB countertop supplier as an alternative.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boos BB Counters

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link and the head up, peony! Are they discontinuing the line?

• peony4
    9 years ago

I'm not sure, Greenhaven, but I was lead to believe they were. I live in the Chicago area, and we have 2 IKEAs. When I wanted the Numerar last year, one store didn't have it and alluded to it being discontinued. They looked up the other store, which had just 2 left, so I hustled across town to get it.

The beech and birch Numerar are still on their Web site, though, so perhaps they're keeping it. I hope so. It's such a great product. I've used it in a few areas of my home--a basement kitchenette (the oak, purchased about 5 years ago, but no longer available), and then a beech island and shelving in my kitchen.

I did see the wood-covered particle board counter while I was there. It's OK, but had I not been able to get the Numerar, I would have ordered from Boos. In hindsight, I probably should have given Boos my business, as they are a long-time Illinois company that deserves some support for remaining in this wretched state. But I digress.

• jackfre
    9 years ago

There are wooden countertops and then there are wooden countertops. All dependent on your desires and $ you want to spend. I have a friend who sells thick walnut slabs. They are raw edge and spectacular, but pricey. They also take a bit of care. What kind of wood do you want? There are good vendors around the country for large slabs.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Peony, I have been to both those IKEAs! When we needed to Shop it was an hour and a half east to the 'burbs for us.

Jackfre, those raw edge walnut slabs sound amazing! Aare they available beyond local?

• romy718
    9 years ago

Grothouse & Engrain are two other options. Not inexpensive.

• byzantine
    9 years ago

I ordered a hickory top from this site. It hasn't been installed yet, but it's really pretty. Their customer service is responsive but not effusive, and the freight company they hired to deliver this thing to my home was a tad rude. The driver who actually delivered it was awesome, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clear Walnut Countertop

• ardcp
    9 years ago

the lowes near me has a gorgeous display of a painted schuler island topped by a darker wood countertop. it has a brand name tag, you know those little brass name plates, on it so it has to be a line that lowes sells. i love that display!

• voila
    9 years ago

If you want a beautiful wood island top I believe Craft Art is top of the line. I had a Brazilian Cherry top custom made by them for my last home. You choose wood species, edges, shape design, etc. These are not stained wood tops. You have the ability to choose a dense wood, since a kitchen gets a lot of use. I understand they sell a form of do it yourself now also to save you money. My island top cost more than my granite and worth every penny.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craft art