Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdub4

What should drawer pulls match? Faucet, appliances??

tdub4
11 years ago

Moving into new house and our kitchen sink faucet is a large goose neck style faucet in the antique bronze finish. I really would like to use pewter drawer pulls (because I like the look) for the cabinets and drawers, but dont want things to clash. We will have stainless appliances and dark cabinets (cherry-like in color). Should the pulls also be antique bronze to match faucet? Can they be a different color altogether? TIA!

Comments (14)

• lisa98112
    11 years ago

It's really personal preference. I personally like to keep metals either warm or cool, but mix and match can work, especially if you have an eclectic style.

• babs711
    11 years ago

I agree with Lisa. Our knobs/pulls are polished nickel. Our appliances are stainless. Tons of people use stainless appliances with polished nickel. I tend to pull appliances out of the equation and look more at the undertone of the light fixtures, faucet and knobs/pulls. Our lighting is bronze (a warm undertone) which works really well with the warm undertones of the nickel.

I think it depends on if you want to bring out the cool or the warm. Chrome is cool where nickel and bronze are warm.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I don't count appliances in choosing metal finishes for the room. I also usually get chrome faucets, and consider them both to be kind of like the 'white t-shirts' of the whole look..almost invisible and not dictating other choices. But with your faucet such a strong color and presence, I'd want to change it or try to work with its color.

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

Well, I broke all the rules in our kitchen. DH had some strong opinions about things, so I tried to meet him halfway. We have polished stainless steel faucet, stainless appliances, and ORB cabinet hardware. Cabinets are premium hickory stained chestnut. Oh, add black hardware on the interior hour doors, and it's quite a mish-mash. Oh, well. I bet I'm the only one who notices.

• northcarolina
    11 years ago

Our cabinet hardware doesn't match anything though they are similar in tone to the countertop, so they sort of tie in. Appliances are white, faucets are polished chrome, sinks are stainless. I wanted dark hardware but not black, so ours are "graphite," which is quite pretty in real life and works well with the oak countertop.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We have black appliances and went with ORB faucets and handles and knobs....main sink is stainless, prep sink is hammered copper.

• whisperingwillow
    11 years ago

Mine are mixed. I have a ORB faucet which is stately looking so I made sure my cabinet hardware matched however I have SS appliances.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I have ss appliances, faucets and sinks, but black iron hardware and ORB light fixtures. I considered getting ORB faucets, but before I ordered them I was leaning heavily towards soapstone counters and wouldn't have wanted black on black. I like the ss faucets and it picks up the grey tones in the granite countertops (last minute change), so it works for us.

• pawa
    11 years ago

I think pewter and antique bronze would look fine together, IMO.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

If the faucet is solo - I would match the faucet. I was gong to match the appliances but got the same advice a couple of months ago.
    My faucet is so happy to have company and it pulls it all together :-)

• Cloud Swift
    11 years ago

There is a fair amount of variation in "antique bronze" finishes so it might be just as well to use something else for the pulls rather than a finish that is a close miss for the faucet.

Our pulls don't match the the other metals in the room, but they are a matte dark brown which works well with the grain on our cherry cabinets. (Schaub calls our finish ORB, but it doesn't have bronze hints showing like some ORBs.)

• Shagane Sigler
    3 years ago

How a out the metal on barstools. Does it have to match the pulls and faucets or the appliances

• jad2design
    3 years ago

My kitchen has brass for the cabinet pulls and handles with stainless for the appliances and faucet. Two metals, looks great. If pewter is what you really want start with that. I’m thinking the first thing to do is buy yourself a sample pewter pull or knob and see how it goes with your kitchen IRL.. If you like the look then you can get a replacement faucet in either pewter or stainless if you are worried about everything blending together. Even If you keep the present faucet till you get around to doing that I’m pretty sure visitors won’t start shrieking when they spot it. No, they won’t even notice it. I can’t say I love oil rubbed bronze - not because it isn’t handsome, but because I suspect it will be dated as a finish in a couple of years. Pewter and stainless seem more timeless.

Congratulations on your new home. :)