Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinson622

after a long weekend i finally see the whole island and i love it

robinson622
12 years ago

I stopped at the house before work to take some pictures. There was no way that I would make it until 4:00.

Comments (27)

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

Love it! Beautiful, and so many windows.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Just GOR GOR GORGEOUS!!

• stephct
    12 years ago

WOW! Gorgeous! Can I ask what your perimeter countertops are?

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

What kind of finish do you have on the wood? Is it oil or poly? What will clean up be like? Thanks and it's beautiful!

• motherof3sons
    12 years ago

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your kitchen! And, delighted you posted pictures of the wall o'windows. We have been struggling with bringing an upper cabinet to the countertop and not on the opposite side. Yours looks wonderful and I am now at ease in my decision making. Thank you!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

The island counter top is beautiful. Is it a working counter top?

• sayde
    12 years ago

So bright and pretty! Love the windows. Bet you cannot wait to be able to sit at the island and enjoy the space!

• celineike
    12 years ago

aaaahhhh.... very satisfying.. i love it! :D

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

Oh so beautiful!!! I would loll around on it if it were mine!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

LOVE! :-)

• catherine_l
    12 years ago

Stunning! Love it!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

So nice! Your kitchen is dramatically pretty ;) You have a lot of ooh la la going on!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    12 years ago

That is a lovely island, made even more so surrounded with all those terrific windows and light.

Becky

• drdannie
    12 years ago

The island - and your entire kitchen - is beautiful. Love all of the windows.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Like a retreat in your own house...Such a lovely place to hang out and work. Wonderful!!!!!

• cardamon
    12 years ago

Love the light from all the windows and you have my idea of a perfect kitchen. Looks fantastic and hope it is done soon so we get to see some more pictures!

• chicken1020
    12 years ago

Looks great and I hope you get to enjoy it all very soon!

• gardenamy
    12 years ago

Ohhhhh - BEAUTIFUL! I would not have been able to wait either!!! What brand of cabinetry is that?

• noellabelle
    12 years ago

What a wonderful space! Gorgeous!!!

• robinson622
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Your kind remarks really brighten my day!

I'm going to try to answer all of the questions. I apologize if I miss anyone.

stephct - the perimeter is granite (black pearl). I'm very happy with it.

Lake Girl - the finish on the island is called "food safe". They put an oil on it. The can is at the house, so I don't know the name off hand. So far my "angels" have gotten some apple pie and macaroni salad on it, and it wiped right off. My cabinet maker is getting me more information on taking care of it.

blfenton - it is a working top. I can chop, dice, slice, etc. but...it ain't happenin'!! ;) I won't baby it, but I don't plan on having a knife hit the surface. I think the most I will do now, is use cookie cutters and roll dough on the surface. It will be there for many years, so I'm sure I'll relax a little with time.

gardenamy - the cabinets were made by an Amish cabinetmaker in PA. They are custom cabinets. They are inset shaker style which were originally going to be beaded around the frame, but I asked for them not to do that (1) to save money and (2) because I thought food and grime might get into the crevices.

I hope I've answered everyone's questions.

Lori

• corrie22
    12 years ago

Lori, it's wonderful!

It you have time, can you please post pictures of the long wall? Your hood and the builtin for the refrigerator?

I really like it!
    Corrie

• kaysd
    12 years ago

Your island and the whole kitchen are beautiful. I love how much light you have in the space.

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

Oh wow! How stunning! And I am drooling over your gorgeous windows!! Beautiful!!

• summersucks
    12 years ago

gaaaaaaawgeous!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Oh wow! I am usually not stunned by wood countertops but yours is delicious. The whole kitchen looks beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

Hi Robinson622, I posted this on an old thread but I don't think you saw it. Could you answer some questions for me about oxford cabinets?

1. Specifically, since they do not design, how do you figure out all the details? For example, Lucretzia (who doesn't seem to be on the forums anymore) had a stepped pantry design, the wood hood, the corbels under the sink cabinet, the different heights to accommodate the different ceiling heights? How did you choose those lovely legs on your island?
    2. Did you give them all your appliance specs before they made the cabinets? Did they also install the refrigerator panels and the hood insert or did your contractor do that?
    3. Is the paint color one of their standard choices? It is so lovely and calming.
    4. Did you have too drive there every time with plans, or is there a way of faxing information in? It is a little hard to contact them since the phone availability is limited.

thank you!
    Nancy

• robinson622
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Nancy,

Actually, I already had a general, very general, layout and I brought it to them (Jacob). I gave them the exact measurements of the room and some pictures for inspiration. You can have them come out to measure, but you'll pay for the trip...probably worth it. I told Jacob what I wanted and he worked with me to get/fit it all. They have many sample cabinet door and drawer fronts to look at and a book to look through to pick out your hood design. The corbels I assume are also through a book of pictures of kitchens they have done. Jacob mailed me a paper with several legs to choose from, and I circled the one I wanted and sent it back. We did a lot of mailing, but it only takes 1 or 2 days.

I gave them all of my appliance specs before they made the cabinets. My HVAC guy installed the hood insert

The paint color is one of their standard choices. BM dove white or white dove, I can't remember which. It is a soothing color.

They do have a fax number. I believe there are a few people that help them out with that stuff. Jacob Jr. doesn't do the faxing. He will talk on the phone, but he usually isn't there in the morning, his dad Jacob Sr. is, so Jacob Jr. usually ended up calling me back around 1 pm.

Good Luck! The craftsmanship is excellent, and the price is unbeatable...I think.

Lori