Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rose_red_gw

Granite ideas

rose-red
11 years ago

I have Old Chicago Brick floors, cream cabinets. I am having a difficult time finding pictures of this combination on-line. The floors have the following tones: terracotta red, gold, cream, light grey mortor. The floors are busy, so I wanted a consistent granite that doesn't have a lot of movement. The temporary countertops are plywood and I painted them black just to see how a black granite would look. I looks bad, just wrong with the floors. Thinking of a cream granite. Don't want New Venetian Gold or anything similar. I know 4 people who have that granite and although it is very nice, it is just too common here where I live.

Also, kitchen has a few open shelves made of antique cypress, and a hammered copper farmhouse sink with bronze faucet. Kind of a country rustic look with bead board cabinets and beadboard ceiling. The shelves and bartops are supported by rustic iron brackets, rustic iron hardware on cabinets.

Since I have so much going on in this kitchen, I need a simple solid granite that is not too busy. I'm planning to do a 4 inch tall granite backsplash with beadboard above it as a backsplash.

Comments (8)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Perhaps you should look at man made quartz counter tops instead. They can have very little pattern, are harder than granite, never need sealing and won't stain. LG, caesarstone and zodiac are some brands.

We used caesarstone and are very happy with it. But ours is patterned...chocolate truffle...I confess I couldn't resist the name...and the fact it's made out of recycled glass as we built green.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caesarstone

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Love to see pictures of your floor and granite. From what you've described I think Annie's suggestion of the chocolate truffle caesarstone sounds like it would be lovely. Pictures please!

• rose-red
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Im going to check into the ceasarstone. It may be just what will work. I also like the way Colonial Cream granite looks.

The chocolate truffle color would help tie in the wooden shelves and I also have wooden shutters on the windows and a wooden saloon door leading into the dining room.

What about Kashmir White? Too grey?

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Post pictures to get more informed responses.

• Lori Ryan
    11 years ago

Have you thought of soapstone?

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I think that Colonial cream would work. It is fluid but I would not say busy. Plus the colors would work. It is in our kitchen and I love it!

• bahacca
    11 years ago

Bianco Antico would fit the bill and is different enough that not everyone and their dog will have it. It is a bit more busy than New Venetian gold, but not as busy as some others.
    Baltic brown may work as well depending on the slab and the exact colors of the brick, copper, etc.
    I know you painted the counter BLACK, but what about BROWN? If brown looks nice, then Tropical brown is a very nice brown granite.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

How about antique brown granite (even better in a leathered finish).

I used it in my bathroom remodel below. I put in a lot of pictures so that you can see the variation in the stone (or lack thereof). It's a beautiful stone, has an amazing texture, and works well in older homes. Some people do not like the veining or fissures, but I like them. A few spots have an iridescence, which is what you see behind the one hot water knob (a greenish spot).

{{gwi:1432541}}

{{gwi:1419746}}

{{gwi:1433475}}

{{gwi:1425380}}

{{gwi:1425374}}

{{gwi:1425376}}

{{gwi:1419066}}

{{gwi:1439542}}

{{gwi:1425384}}

{{gwi:1425386}}

{{gwi:1425382}}