Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollister768

Finished Kitchen- Creamy cabs with Typhoon Bordeaux

hollister768
13 years ago

Better late than neverÂ.Here is our 99% finished kitchen. ItÂs been basically done since December, but we are just getting around to taking pictures. We got so much helpful advice and inspiration from this forum and would have ended up with something completely different if we hadnÂt found this site! Hope this isnÂt too many photos!

What we love: The layout (Many thanks to all the GW-ers that helped us!) , Sharp MW drawer, our granite, cookbook storage, the pantry, cutting board storage, Brookhaven cabinets and drawers

What we might do differently: Our dark floors look nice, but they need to be swept literally twice a day. A lighter color would be a lot easier to maintain.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Typhoon Bordeaux Granite

{{!gwi}}

Cutting Board Storage

{{!gwi}}

Full Extension Drawers (with Rev-a-Shelf spice drawer organizer)

{{!gwi}}

Our (messy) Pantry

{{!gwi}}

Stained Bamboo Floors (In the left corner of this photo, you can see how the kitchen is open to a great room that was way too messy to post.)

Details:

Cabinets- Brookhaven French Vanilla, Edgemont Recessed style ("Face" on small drawers)

Granite- Typhoon Bordeaux

Paint- SW Svelte Sage

Backsplash- Sonoma Star Butter Crackle

Fridge- CD Jenn Air Side by Side (Plenty of room, even though itÂs CD)

Oven- GE Monogram (Love the sliding racks!)

Microwave- Sharp MW Drawer

Rangetop- 36" Electrolux Professional

DW- KitchenAid

Hood- Best by Broan

Faucets- Kohler Simplice

Sinks- Kohler

Floor- Engineered 6 inch Handscraped Bamboo with Pecan Stain

Barstools- Overstock.com

Pendants- Sea Gull Serenity

Thanks again for all the helpful information on this forum!

Comments (46)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Very pretty! I love the simplicity of the over all look. And I really love the double doors on the pantry. :)

• lala girl
    13 years ago

Lovely! I esp love the paint color - the overall look is so serene, simple and beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Just gorgeous! I love the granite and the pendants, especially.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

I LOVE your granite and it's great with your cabinets! Your cookbook area is wonderful and I like the shape of your island. Enjoy.

• doraville
    13 years ago

Great Job! I love your storage ideas and the granite is gorgeous!

• country_smile
    13 years ago

beautiful - love the granite, especially the slab on the island.

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Beautiful!!!!! Love the curve of your island seating area!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen...thanks for sharing, and never too many pictures!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Beautious!!!!

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Very nice! Love the clean lines of what you've done.

• sc_kathyc
    13 years ago

Wow, it is really beautiful. You must be very happy with the outcome, I know I would be thrilled to have it.

Great job.

• hollister768
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for all the really nice comments!! We are very happy with the kitchen. (Though I'll admit it usually doesn't look nearly so clean and serene....we definitely got rid of a lot of clutter before taking the photos!)

I really appreciate your feedback!

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

hollister768, I love the cabinet style and color so much along with the crown molding on top of the cabinets. I love the style of the drawers and the hardware (what is it by the way?). I love the granite you chose that is so perfect for your French Vanilla cabinet color. I love the cabinet for the Pan storage (I need that!) and the drawer for the spices. I love the Sea Gull Serenity Pendants along with the recessed lighting. The paint color is also perfect. The floor color and width is so perfect in looks with your light cabinets but I know what you mean about the maintenance of a darker floor now that I have Brazilian Cherry floors. I never understood what people meant but now I do. :)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Good ideas for us to ponder and copy. Nice! Thanks!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

That is just beautiful!!! Love the color of the cabinets matched to your granite. Your island is also awesome. :-)

• hollister768
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lynn, Thanks for noticing all those little details!! The hardware was one of the choices that Brookhaven offered, but I also found it on Amazon and elsewhere (Amerock BP1580-WN Inspirations Leaf 3-Inch Pull, Weathered Nickel, and the coordinating knob.) Yes, those dark floors can be a bit of a headache. It doesn't help that we have two light colored cats too! Thanks again for your post!

• annkathryn
    13 years ago

Just beautiful. I especially like how the granite is subtle and yet the star of the show. Very nice job.

• cardamon
    13 years ago

I saw your kitchen and I love it, mostly because it is what I am waiting for next week. We have chosen about the same thing! My granite will be Delicatus. Your backsplash is really pretty. I am going to look and see if it would blend with the color of my granite. I want your spice drawer too. What size is your island? I put posts on my and am wondering about that decision. I wonder if when the cabs get here if I can put or not put on. I like the look of your island. Well, everything you have. I am doing dark handscraped as well with a yellow lab. I have swept this long might as well keep going! Thanks for posting the pictures. I was really happy to see them. I love what you did.

• petra66_gw
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!!

• jb1176
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is inspiring. All the elements are beautifully combined with the Typhoon Bordeaux being the star of the show.

Please tell me the paint color on the walls adjoining the kitchen. They look gray and it is a beautiful gray. I'd like to know the name of the color you used for those walls. Also what paint color did you use for the trim and doors?

Thanks for sharing.

• scootermom
    13 years ago

Fabulous!! Beautiful and functional. If only I could cut and paste your kitchen into my house!!

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

Beautiful--awesome job!! Enjoy!!

• clkw
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I love how bright and cheery it is. I'd love to work on your huge island!

• swspitfire
    13 years ago

It is really beautiful. You did a fabulous job!

• crazyhouse6
    13 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen. I love so many details, but especially the way you did the corner glass cabinets, the granite, the cabinet style and color, and that big island. Enjoy!!!

• hollister768
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again for the nice comments! And good luck to everyone working on their kitchens...It's such an intense and time consuming project, but so nice when it's all done!

Maggie- Our island is 8'10" long and 4 to 5 ft wide (4 feet at the ends, 4'11'' at the widest point in the curve. It's big! Which is great for us...half of it can be a complete mess and there is still room to eat dinner! I hope that your choices work out well for you. Be sure to post pictures!

JB1176- Our wall paint is actually a sage green (SW Svelte Sage), but I can see how it comes across as gray. We matched our trim to the plastic on the windows, so we went with SW Extra Bright White. The bright white and cream cabinets aren't my favorite combination, but we had no choice since we had to match the trim on the window.

Thanks again to everyone who commented. It is really nice to get such positive feedback!!!

• debpic
    13 years ago

Very, very nice!!! Your island is wonderful love the curve in the granite for sitting. It really looks well thought out and so attractive the very best to you!

• missmary - 6b/Central Maryland
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is going into my kitchen inspiration folder!

Just last year I finished a kitchen remodel in my current house, but we are about to move out of this house into a new house. "New house" has a very nice updated kitchen, that I like - but don't LOVE. So, in 3 - 5 years I see a new kitchen coming.

"New House" kitchen is an interior room, so I will do a white / creamy kitchen there. The kitchen I just finished here has dark cherry and is very traditional and classic. It is beautiful, if I say so myself. Couldn't have done it without finished kitchen blog!

Interestingly - I have Typhoon Bordeaux granite also! I do love it. It goes beautifully in my cherry wood kitchen, and I love how it goes in your creamy / white wood kitchen, too.

Thanks for posting!
    Miss Mary

• sundownr
    13 years ago

There are so many white/cream kitchens posted here (mine is, too) but they never look the same. Yours is gorgeous! Your granite is amazing and so is the crown molding and lighting. The whole package!

• theanimala
    13 years ago

I am sorry, but there is no one thing that I can point out as being exceptional. That is because everything works together just perfectly. Seriously, your kitchen is stunning. I left this post open while DH walked by the computer and he too commented on just what a gorgeous kitchen you have. Congratulations on a job well done and enjoy your new kitchen!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

A wonderful example of simple elegance and a less is more type strategy. Beautiful. The counters are so nice with the light, but interesting granite. I'm not usually a fan of cabs that angle back, but I love how those glass front cabinets end your kitchen so nicely, while creating a little alcove for the mixer.

I like the style of the island with the cookbook shelf on the end, and the framed panels on the side of the fridge are a nice finishing touch.

Your pantry is great...but needs more food!! ;-)

Enjoy!

• julie94062
    13 years ago

Love it! I've only seen bits and pieces of it before, so it's GREAT to see the whole thing! I have Typhoon Bordeaux with darker cabs and I have to say...I'm jealous. I want white (or french vanilla!) cabinets. Everything is wonderful! Enjoy!!

• marybeth1
    13 years ago

Oh my Gosh how Beautiful! So classy and well thought out! I Love your granite! I also love your island with the bookcase and the curved shape. It just screams WELCOME! I'm not here too much anymore but I'm so glad I caught this. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your beautiful kitchen!

• techmom1
    13 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy!

• abananie
    13 years ago

Love your new kitchen!! It is so open and spacious. Especially interested in your desk area since I'm still waiting to put mine in. Hard to find ideas so thanks for showing yours!! I have been thinking of putting in a pantry cab, but seeing that wall oven has me thinking...Enjoy!!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Wow, your kitchen is beautiful! That island is fab! And I really am digging on those counter stools--they look so comfy! Wish I would have seen those bad boys.

Congrats and enjoy your gorgeous kitchen!

• hollister768
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for all the recent comments!! This board is so supportive!!!

It's been a busy time at work, so just a few comments for now....

Rhome- I don't know if you remember (or will see this) but you helped us so much on our kitchen back last summer. I am sure you have done 100's of kitchens since then. Thanks for your comments and help!!

Abananie- Good luck with your desk. I wish we had planned for cord storage. It's hard to tuck away the laptop, phone and ipod cords. I think there were some good ideas on GW, drilling through the granite keeping cords in a drawer, but we didn't plan enough for that.

Shelayne- The stools are very comfortable and were recommended by someone on GW!

Miss Mary and Julie- I think TB looks great with darker cabinets too. Julie, I looked for your kitchen and it is very rich and beautiful!

OK...I really ought to be working!! :)

• busybme
    13 years ago

That is a great looking kitchen! Well organized, open and inviting...just lovely! Congratulations!

• starpooh
    13 years ago

May I have your permission to add your kitchen to the Finished Kitchens blog? You can indicate permission here in this post or shoot me a quick email: starpooh@gmail.com.
    Then, when you get some free time, please submit the FKB Category Checklist.
    Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• hollister768
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, you can add our kitchen to the FKB. Thanks for asking, Starpooh!! And thanks for keeping the FKB up and running. It is such a great resource!

• angel411
    13 years ago

Love it! So airy and comfy and elegant! Congratulations!

• jenma
    13 years ago

Hollister768- can you talk about why you decide to open the tray cabinet towards the range, but the lazy susan away from the range?

I'm thinking about something similar and can't decide which way I want the tray cabinet door to go.

Thanks!

• hollister768
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jenma...Sorry, I just saw your post today. I am not quite sure I understand your question....Actually the tray cabinet opens away from the range. The upper lazy susan opens away from the range, and the lower one just sort of collapses in.

I hope that helps! Good luck with your decisions!

• sncavell_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Your kitchen looks lovely! I am in the middle of renovation and also have selected Typhoon Bordeux granite - what type of edge did you use - my cabinets are Cherry with a Nutmeg finish, Shaker style. Also looking for backsplash suggestions.

• saf0414
    8 years ago

Hi, I know this thread is very old, but....I am in need of help with my backsplash, and would love to see hollister768's kitchen! We have white 'glazed' cabinets (not a stark white, sort of a French Vanilla. Maybe?) with Yellow River granite. I'm looking at a few different subway tiles, and the Sonoma Star Tribeca in "Butter" is definitely in the running. It's just SO hard to tell from one teeny, tiny sample! If anyone can help me get in touch with hollister768 to see her kitchen, that'd be great! The photos are no longer available here.