Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgopp

Starting up another remodel (part 2) photo heavy

jgopp
9 years ago

So the old thread got pretty long I think. I wanted to show you guys how the progress is coming. The cabinets are a little wonky since they have not been adjusted yet so please disregard that. I've included a couple other shots of the house progress as well.

Still a ways away, things here in the country seem to take a bit longer. But as long as it's done in time for summer I'll be smitten.

Bonus view pic

Master bath pics

Comments (51)

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Well I am already smitten and you are not even done yet! It does look amazing and that view is to die for. I can't get my last ten percent done om my little facelift and I am exhausted. I am aatounded at your progress.

Is your Real Job a work from home deal? I don't know how you do it.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

So beautiful! I love the tile in the first shower pic. What type of stone is that?

• KBSpider
    9 years ago

That floor is amazing....wow...and you really had me at "bonus view pic"...

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

juddgirl2: that is slate, French Clef Indian. It is 12x12 tiles.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

greenhaven: Haha, I am fortunate to have a 'real job' that does allow me my own hours and a lot of time at home with my girlfriend. Best part is spending the time split between home and my other properties.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I can imagine so! Not sure I would need multiple other properties but I am one who does appreciate some variety.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the tile info, jpogg. We have a master bathroom redo in our future and the slate would look really nice in our space. Congrats on creating such a lovely home!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You'll love the slate. Thanks for the compliments.

• ktj459
    9 years ago

Everything is gorgeous. What is on the walls in the first shower? Looks like slate too?

• flwrs_n_co
    9 years ago

OMG, that telescope is fantastic!! Sorry, I know you posted for your kitchen and baths--and they are beautiful--but I can't stop looking at that telescope! I think I've turned kermit green with envy! (We have 3 telescopes in our house and one is a behemoth to move and set up.)

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

flwrs: Thanks!! I'm glad you appreciate it! It is a 16 inch lightbridge. We have very very dark sky here which is great. I also have an 8 inch discovery dobsonian which honestly is much easier to handle.

I've been toying around with the idea of putting a domed observatory in my loft roof here. Possibly a 9 foot dome with a nice seat to use the big scope. We'll see, maybe in a year or two. I love astronomy, it's great to know there is another fanatic on here too.

• flwrs_n_co
    9 years ago

A few years ago we were looking at houses in the Phoenix area (for vacation and retirement) and saw several with observatories (never bought--I can't stand the heat). I love that idea for your house and hope you get to do it in the future.

DH is actually the astronomer, I ohhh and ahhh and just enjoy the show. I've learned a lot of astronomy after almost 38 years of stargazing with DH. Unfortunately, our house is in the burbs so light pollution can be a problem. Maybe someday we'll move out further and build our dream home--with an observatory.

BTW, I love the light blue of your kitchen cabs and the bathroom vanity has a beautiful finish. What a wonderful home to escape to! And I've never seen a bathtub partially made of glass! You must not mind cleaning shower glass as much as I do, lol. I'm trying to figure out how to minimize the shower glass in our master bath without closing things in too much.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

flwrs: what a great hobby and life! I'm sure you've learned to love the universe in those 38 years. What a life with 3 telescopes :) I love it when I get to show my neighbors, who love to dabble in certain substances, the planets and moon. Always blows their minds. It's something incredible to watch things that are so old and so far away through a proper telescope. Nothing is more humbling in my opinion.

As far as cleaning goes, I do really hate having to do it, but glass is just such a great material. The steam room downstairs is a mildew nightmare. I do have to hire a maid sometimes when I can't make time or am having a group up. Can't do everything by myself ya know.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bonus sunset pic

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Almost there! Just waiting on a few more items...

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I'm loving the blue cabinets even more now that I see them with natural light. The colours you've chosen really connect well with the surroundings, which always make things click IRL.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness it is fabulous! What do you plan to do with the space to the left of the stove backsplash between it and the window?

As much as I love your fabulous kitchen I don't need it. What I do need is some energy and motivation to finish my own project. Can you send some my way? As soon as you are done with it, of course....

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

greenhaven: there will be some kind of hanging thing for utensils for the range. And I've got something special in mind for above those left cabs.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is fabulous and I love the ceiling fans.
    Your bathrooms are amazing and what an unusual, but beautiful tub.
    I like your corner stove. How much room does that require?
    Does it for instance take up a 3 by 3 foot footprint in the corner?
    In addition to astronomy, it looks like you'll see great storms over the water.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Karenseb: So the way the kitchen was like this:

I decided on a corner range because I took down the "foyer" area which had walls that just seemed to get in the way. I've really not been a fan in the past of corner range because you do lose cabinet space and you lose wall space as well. By removing the foyer I was able to extend the cabinets about 20 inches closer to the front door.

That is a 30 inch range, and it probably has 15-20 inches at the widest empty part against the wall. I will measure next time when I get a chance. It does take up a fairly significant amount of space, but as you can see in the before photo there it was just a corner collecting junk.

The storms can get pretty amazing :)

I've also started moving furniture back in now...

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got my perimeter counters installed about a week ago.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Oh I am envious! Such a lovely space. My husband is dying to know where you got that bathtub at. Mind sharing?

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Texas: sure I linked it down at the bottom. It's pretty neat, tons of jets, built in radio, and a multi color lighting system.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool bath

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Thanks!! He is currently working the math to figure out how to buy one.

Now I just need to convince him to finish the kitchen before we start on the master bath! :)

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Texas: always a struggle! Don't want to bite off more than one can chew ;)

• feisty68
    9 years ago

The countertops really work with everything else! I like the look without a backsplash ;) .

• updating
    9 years ago

Would you please tell me the make / model of your ceiling fans?

• farmhousemom
    9 years ago

It all looks fantastic! I love that sink!!

• shelayne
    9 years ago

Absolutely stunning! I love your blue cabinets!

And that view... *swoon*

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

I love it so far! Great view! I'm loving the blue cabs, too.

Question: who makes your faucet? My DH is dying for one just like it.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

updating: they are harbor breeze, I got them at lowes.

hsw_sc: it's made by Kraus. I put a link to that faucet in the bottom here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kraus Faucet

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

Thank you!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hsw_sc: you're welcome, it's a great faucet, especially for the price. USA made and well under the cost of the Rohl and other brand name faucets.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Love it and your mix of materials! Can't wait to see more.

• doonie
    9 years ago

Wow!

I haven't been on GW for a long time! What a treat to see your newest kitchen. I loved the other kitchen you did too! The way this kitchen fits with your outdoor space is amazing. Wish it were my space!

Enjoy!!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

doonie: good to see you're back! I come and go, obviously a lot more when I'm doing a kitchen. I really was hoping for that feel, so far so good.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Great to see the progress and the glimpse of your setting. I'm waiting for those gorgeous lights to be hung.... We see them every other week or so at one of our favorite restaurants, and I always think of your new kitchen.

Ditto what Doonie said. May you have many peaceful evenings in that beautiful space!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oldbat: you don't understand how badly I want this whole thing to be done. I've been at reno up here for over a year now. I started with modeling out the basement which was empty, and of course my upstairs ended up looking super dated so I went ahead and tore it all out.

Getting closer to the close out here, I just want this place to be back to normal for my friends and family to use.

Hopefully I'll have completed photos soon!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry it has been so long for updates. I've got a couple photos tonight. The final pieces are a bit hard to get moved up so this is what I have best...

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

The second shot looks so clean and finished. Congrats on all your progress! What's still left to do?

How do the lights look, in real life? Hope you don't mind if I say they're a little jarring, in the pictures, but this may be due to the picture angle. This is a question I struggle with at times - am I decorating to please myself, or to create a perfect picture for GW? I do think these are amazing lights; see them every other week when we visit my favorite restaurant.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Love the lights!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oldbat: they look great in person. It is really hard to capture the light they put off. My friend told me that she felt like she was sitting in a high end bar or restaurant when we were sitting at the island last week. They really create a warm lovely glow.

They also are the only hanging lights in the entire room which is basically the house since it's open concept so it really defines the space.

Here is a photo of them with a low light filter.

I have a good bit of stuff to go. I have the butcher block at home but I haven't had the time or the muscle to move it yet. I also have some cabinets for above the big one and sink area. Glass needs to go into the uppers, etc etc.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got a couple daytime pics, you can see the lights better in these Oldbat...

And some of the island detail

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Looking good! Great island detail. The lights are perfect for your house. Can't wait to see it all put together. Thanks for another peak!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Christina and Bicycle: thanks for the compliments! Only a few more days until this thing is completely buttoned up... Been far too long considering it is almost July.

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

It's fantastic!!! I love the whole thing. The stove backsplash reminds me of a kitchen from a long time ago....the poster had an amazing red oven and a very prolific library of cookbooks. Maybe liz something? In any case she had the same stone backsplash and it looked so wonderful.

The view is truly delicious....where's the Tiki Man???

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Thank you for the daytime pictures, I forget how massive that space is.

LOVE the close-up of the lights, thanks!! There's something rather wonderful (visually satisfying?) about the texture the wire provides, which pictures don't quite convey.

I am looking forward to seeing the butcher block in place. Boos, right? Thanks for the island detail, had entirely missed that before. Great stools!!

I've really enjoyed watching your progress and great ideas come to life and will look forward to (as this wraps up) the next project.

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

Elizpiz 's kitchen from '09. I LOVED that kitchen!
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg031204485465.html

Jgopp, love this kitchen too! (And your first was well done as well.) Can't wait to see more picts w that butcherblock countertop. And more picts of the beautiful views.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

firsthouse: thanks for such a nice compliment. It means a lot coming from the person who clearly has the greatest attention of this forum :)

Oldbat: You are certainly right about the wire mesh. I know they sell it without, but it makes them look so much nicer I don't know how you'd pass it up. And yup John Boos block coming today! I'm incredibly excited. It's on the truck now.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

What a beautiful space! The colours are lovely and fresh. Pendants are super pretty. I really like the counter stools - they have a look that doesn't peg them into a specific style (e.g. trad, industrial, etc.), which I really like. The floors are just stunning. I can't help it - I always get stuck on the floors. For me the kitchen doesn't work if the floors don't :) .